Sponsored

Off the shelf generic fit mufflers

Jpjr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang V6 (traded)
I've done it with SEVERAL different mufflers. The muffler shop will have to cut and weld and make their own hangars. I'm currently on the GT500 axleback with a 3" Double X Pipe. I'd just buy a catback exhaust and be done with it. Go higher quality (Borla, Corsa, ARH, AWE)

Just a word of caution, stay away from the "Two Chamber" mufflers. I had them on mine and my wifes cars. Drone is absolutely terrible and we tried both the Flowmaster Super 44 and 40 Series Delta. It'll never sound like an old school mid mounted muffler (79-04) mustang. Save yourself the $$$$$$$$$$ and the trouble, buy once. If you must go this route, I've had the most success with Jones MAXFlow mufflers. They are CHEAP, stainless, made in the USA and flow more than a comparable Magnaflow muffler.

Any sound clips?
Sponsored

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
Had mine done locally with magnaflow mufflers. It's not mandrel bent, but it sounds great with catless headers. A lot cheaper than a store bought cat back.
This guy gets it.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone here try Bassani w/X-pipe stock headers? I did the SVE resonator delete on stock mufflers and after the pipe was broke-in, carbon buildup, they sound ok. I want weight deduction, same reason I'll do aluminium drive shaft.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I added universal fit Magnaflow center in offset out mufflers to my 15 Mustang.

I cut the stock mufflers off even with the muffler case, slipped the Magnaflow on and welded the connection. I bent some 1/2" rod I had kicking around and put one end in the stock hanger and after positioning the outlet in the center of the cut out I welded the rod to the muffler. I had picked up some stainless tips I liked and put them on the mufflers.

Every bit as good as a Magnaflow axle back for less than $200. Since it is the same muffler that comes with the street version of the Magnaflow axle back the sound is the same.

IMHO, the price that is charged for axle back and cat back systems is nothing more than price gouging.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
IMHO, the price that is charged for axle back and cat back systems is nothing more than price gouging.
But...but......but.........the manufacturers such as Borla, Corsa, AWE say the axleback and catback system they offer are super engineered with data and high-tech research and development so the ream you in the butt price gouging is not only appropriate, but a must for any Mustang owner!!!!

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
But...but......but.........the manufacturers such as Borla, Corsa, AWE say the axleback and catback system they offer are super engineered with data and high-tech research and development so the ream you in the butt price gouging is not only appropriate, but a must for any Mustang owner!!!!
Having had dronemasters on previous mustangs, the acoustic engineering on the Corsas are worth the price of admission.

If you want drone...awesome. I personally can no longer stand it.

I also have the ability to sell the full catback and place the stock (or any other full catback) exhaust back on if I choose. Just an extra perk of purchasing a no-cut exhaust setup.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Having had dronemasters on previous mustangs, the acoustic engineering on the Corsas are worth the price of admission.

If you want drone...awesome. I personally can no longer stand it.

I also have the ability to sell the full catback and place the stock (or any other full catback) exhaust back on if I choose. Just an extra perk of purchasing a no-cut exhaust setup.
I have Flowmaster 40 series on my 00 4.8l Silverado.. haven't noticed any drone at all. I already hacked off the resonator to instal a H-pipe on my GT.. so that ship has sailed :lol:

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Acoustic engineering, another prime example that marketing works!
Jason Fenske (From ƎE) tested a $2500 Titanium catback. Result 2-3 higher DB's, and a 2.5hp gain, that's a $1000/hp. Biggest gain was going from 50lb exhaust to 15lbs.

Anybody weight the factory axle backs vs aftermarket ones? Betting the stocker is a lightweight. I would expect to see more then a couple horse or so gain on any axle back.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I’ve seen so many cars driving around with makeshift exhausts and they usually sound terrible. I’ve yet to hear a good one. These systems are designed to fit and sound good. Just find a used set if you don’t have or don’t want to spend the money. I got my ATAKs used on CL for half retail. People are buying and selling exhaust all the time.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Acoustic engineering, another prime example that marketing works!
That comment shows your sheer level of ignorance. Wow, impressive really.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That comment shows your sheer level of ignorance. Wow, impressive really.
Yeah, they don't have like, degree programs for stuff like that. Nah.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

Jayme

DoggystyleRacing®
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I'm new to the Mustang world - but not to modifying cars / exhausts. If you can weld, it's a no brainer. If you can't, do you have a good local exhaust shop you can go to that won't charge an arm and a leg?

$400+ for an axle back is ridiculous. You aren't gaining any power (enough that dyno / weather / temp variance wouldn't account for). It's all about sound.

Find a good local exhaust shop that does custom dual exhaust etc. I GUARANTEE you a decent shop will have already done MULTIPLE 5.0 cars and can tell you what sounds good and what doesn't.

I wanted a full catback on my V6 car - so I scored a great deal on a very lightly used stainless MBRP exhaust (Designed for the GT) and it bolted right on and sounds great. Zero drone. Used stuff is always a good option.

Crawl under your car. Measure your OEM mufflers. Note the outlet / inlet (offset, center / center etc) then go online and look at Borla / Magnaflow's catalogs for universal mufflers. Many exhaust shops have 'knock off' generic mufflers that closely resemble and sound like the major brands as well.

If it's about SOUND (and that's what replacing an axle back is about) then the stock exhaust piping itself is fine.

A good friend just wanted sound on his GT He measured his mufflers, ordered 2 Borla mufflers that fit those measurements / orientation from Amazon, went to the local shop and had 'em installed. It was still quite a bit cheaper than the cheapest axle back.

YMMV
Sponsored