Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Build week is 5/20 and dealer says that build "day" is 5/24. Window sticker will supposedly populate one week before build day, so it should show up tomorrow. Excited about it and have been collecting parts for upgrades for some time now. Can't wait.
Super cool, it's finally happening! I remember chatting with you about the Braptor over a year ago on the Wrangler board. About the time I bailed on Bronco because of the BS and ordered this:

bloooo.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Terminal grease :

1715898505062-l4.jpg

Petroleum jelly is almost as good, and more likely that you have some hanging around :like:

WD :like:
The problem with grease and petroleum jelly is that neither counteracts or neutralizes the acid. Most of the battery terminal sprays do neutralize the acid so does a better job of protecting the connection. Noco is good stuff, but make sure you use the spray as well as the felt pads.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with grease and petroleum jelly is that neither counteracts or neutralizes the acid. Most of the battery terminal sprays do neutralize the acid so does a better job of protecting the connection. Noco is good stuff, but make sure you use the spray as well as the felt pads.
The ā€˜terminal greaseā€™ in my photo is an old tin of noco :like:

Any grease is better than nothing as it will still provide a barrier.

The petroleum jelly that I mentioned is particularly good if used on new / clean surfaces and applied with full coverage. Itā€™s been used for ā€˜yearsā€™ for connector protection on traction batteries, and the emissions on those are far worse than what you get from a car battery. Interestingly it was also jointly used to provide pillar corrosion protection and lubrication of the pillar seal to allow for plate growth (when seals were neoprene / before they shifted to EPDM).

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ā“‡ā’¾ā’øā“€ā“Ž ā“ˆā“…ā’¶ā“ƒā’¾ā“ˆā’½
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Battery tenders contribute to it as well.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Battery tenders contribute to it as well.
Just check the specs - a well designed unit will keep the ā€˜maintenanceā€™ voltage below gassing voltage.

No gassing = no emissions = no corrosion.

Most modern car batteries will also have quite intricate vent paths, so even if they gas a little before the charger hits maintenance mode, most of the potentially corrosive vapour will be removed by the vent and returned to the battery when it condenses.

Terminal corrosion from substandard components, manufacture or assembly is another issue, and will likely reveal itself regardless of charging procedure.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
It seems I got carried away with the quote feature. <BSEG>

I haven't driven my '20 GT500 much in the past few years.
I know that you've been dealing with medical issues, Tob, that just plain sucks. My Mother used to regularly say,

"No fun getting old,"

..and she was on the money but, I do hope that your current situation is manageable. Having good thoughts, my friend.

On a lighter note, you nearly always put a grin on my face but, you don't post often enough! <smile>

..so they can at least go out with a smile

..funeral was yesterday and in his honor I placed a fresh trap in case any of his family members are eager to join him.

Bodies were everywhere, a really ugly crime scene.

I thought one of them would reign supreme. Nope - total bloodbath.
Friggin' HILARIOUS!

Since it's climate controlled
I am SO envious, Dave, especially now because just this week, the temperature and humidity down here have gone through the roof. It was 83 at 0800 today with the high forecast at 96.

We have them outside, voles to be specific, and theyā€™re constantly leaving little trails in my yard and some of my flower beds.
Same here, Mark although our bigger problem is gophers. I trap those regularly and have given up on the moles/voles, I just kick the little pile and move on. Gophers OTOH, will not only eat the roots of your turf but, in our sandy environment, their previously-used tunnels collapse and you wind up with trenches. Geeze, I hate those bastids. <smile>

1716215797869-qs.png

Last year I caught an entire family on one glue trap.
Thanks for the tip, Tob, I have never tried those but I'm gonna get a few.

..and I swear by this
I just ordered both, thanks for the heads up Greg
Ditto, thanks, Greg.

but being a gc I always have noalox in my service truck, works well for terminals to
Geeze, Charlie, WhyTF didn't *I* think to try Noalox, I use it ALL THE TIME in this "Rust Belt!" Big DUH.

No gassing = no emissions = no corrosion.
You sure know your stuff, WD..impressive! <smile>

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I know that you've been dealing with medical issues, Tob, that just plain sucks. My Mother used to regularly say,

"No fun getting old,"

..and she was on the money but, I do hope that your current situation is manageable. Having good thoughts, my friend.
Your mom was on the money indeed!

Of all the surgeries I've had I thought open heart for an aortic aneurysm at Cleveland Clinic was the most difficult to survive. Well, last November I went in for a discectomy in my lower back and they tore a nerve during the procedure. Surgeon sewed it up but a week later I lost all my cerebral spinal fluid as the stitches in the nerve tore open again. A week later, on Thanksgiving, I went back into surgery. Because of the nerve issue I lost the use of my left leg. I've had some painful shit done to me but this was next level.

You'd think that if a nerve was out of the picture then shit wouldn't hurt, right? I'm here to tell you it hurts way f***ing worse. All numb from my left buttock, left nut, hamstring, thigh, calf, ankle, foot, toes...nothing. I was in bed on pain meds for a few weeks, lost weight and got very weak. I then started with a walker, trying to drag my leg and force it to work. After a few weeks of that I used a cane for a while. I looked like I had CP. Two months with a cane before I could hobble without it. I can put on a show and walk now but I have no feeling in my feet and the numbness everywhere else has decreased but is still there. I've done all the therapy including red light and a TENS unit zapping me all the time. My fingers are crossed that by next November I have most of it working again. The discectomy was a success but opened the door for a new issue.

The one thing I've learned is that when something happens to you, don't screw around. Get it fixed as best you can because there is always another issue waiting for you right around the corner. If you let shit go it compounds and things get complicated, quickly. So thank God I don't have to pick up my leg and work a clutch in order to drive my GT500...:)

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Of all the surgeries I've had I thought open heart for an aortic aneurysm at Cleveland Clinic was the most difficult to survive. Well, last November I went in for a discectomy in my lower back and they tore a nerve during the procedure. Surgeon sewed it up but a week later I lost all my cerebral spinal fluid as the stitches in the nerve tore open again. A week later, on Thanksgiving, I went back into surgery. Because of the nerve issue I lost the use of my left leg. I've had some painful shit done to me but this was next level.

You'd think that if a nerve was out of the picture then shit wouldn't hurt, right? I'm here to tell you it hurts way f***ing worse. All numb from my left buttock, left nut, hamstring, thigh, calf, ankle, foot, toes...nothing. I was in bed on pain meds for a few weeks, lost weight and got very weak. I then started with a walker, trying to drag my leg and force it to work. After a few weeks of that I used a cane for a while. I looked like I had CP. Two months with a cane before I could hobble without it. I can put on a show and walk now but I have no feeling in my feet and the numbness everywhere else has decreased but is still there. I've done all the therapy including red light and a TENS unit zapping me all the time. My fingers are crossed that by next November I have most of it working again. The discectomy was a success but opened the door for a new issue.

The one thing I've learned is that when something happens to you, don't screw around. Get it fixed as best you can because there is always another issue waiting for you right around the corner. If you let shit go it compounds and things get complicated, quickly. So thank God I don't have to pick up my leg and work a clutch in order to drive my GT500...:)
Wow! Had no idea. Wishing you all the best and further recovery!

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000

I deal with back pain everyday from degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis but am still fairly mobile once I get loosened up in the am. It's because of the issues you just stated from your discectomy that I am very hesitant to have any surgery done on my back. I also have heart stents and CHF along with type 2 diabetes and severe sleep apnea so not sure how well I would tolerate recovery from back surgery with no complications. I am 1.5 inches shorter now than I was in my 20s, was 5 foot 10 " now 5 foot 8.5" at 68.

I beat my body up as a teen/young adult racing dirt bikes in the 70s and for sure am paying for it now ten fold but would not change a thing either.

It will take me becoming totally immobile to even consider back surgery as a viable option and I am one of the lucky ones that have a very high tolerance level to pain as compared to most people.

I hope you continue to get better and improve back to as close to 100% as possible.

My mom said "getting old ain't for sissies.

BD

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Christ, Tob, no wonder you haven't been here as much and I am SO sorry you were dealt that deck (and, that goes for your situation as well, Mike (@Buldawg76.))

Of all the surgeries I've had I thought open heart for an aortic aneurysm at Cleveland Clinic was the most difficult to survive.
Allow me to say that the mere thought of having that particular operation scared the bejesus out of me and I can't even imagine what must have been going through your mind that morning when they started you on the anaesthesia drip. That's the stuff of nightmares BUT, thanks to a skilled surgeon(s) and his/their team, you're still with us and that's a wonderful thing!

The PT must also have have been unbelievable not to mention the recovery time and I was ever so happy to learn that other than some stubborn nerves, you are ambulatory again.

Having grown up in Akron, I know the Cleveland Clinic's creds and they saved the life of one my cousins as well. God love 'em. They treated her like a princess and when I talked to her after the surgery, she couldn't stop gushing over the personalized care she received. I hope your experience was similar.

As disturbing as your news was, thank you for filling us in on this most serious situation and I sincerely hope that the numbness dissipates and, that you can once again mash that left pedal. <smile>

I also have heart stents and CHF along with type 2 diabetes and severe sleep apnea so not sure how well I would tolerate recovery from back surgery with no complications.
I beat my body up as a teen/young adult racing dirt bikes in the 70s and for sure am paying for it now ten fold but would not change a thing either.
Lord have mercy, that's quite a list, Mike, and my heart goes out to ya. Hell as kids, none of us thought about the future and how some of the crazy (and stupid,) things we did would affect us down the road. I guess that's just how it goes but I am so glad that you are able to deal with the aftereffects.

FWIW, I will be having many good thoughts for both of you.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Thanks KB. I know there are likely many here going through similar challenges, that's life I guess. And Cleveland Clinic....anyone having heart issues, that's where you go. The level of care there is higher than anywhere else and I truly mean that. They saved my life.

I've ordered a few items so for you young lads that are tired of hearing about shit you haven't been through (yet) I'll get back to some battery tech in short order.
:)

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
Thanks also KB
Thats was just the short list of all I deal with daily since to be honest I can't remember everything the docs say is wrong with me, I know I take more pills a day that I am not sure what if any of them really help much if at all. I know I am fortunate that I can deal with the pain, so I don't take any pain meds at all but just do what I can at the pace I am able to deal with.

Yes, I had the mindset as a kid that I would likely not see 40 so never worried much about the long term effects of racing and wrecking on dirt bikes at up to 100 mph on my old 74 Yamaha SC 500 MX that had top speed of 105 mph, but it was fun doing 80+ mph wheelies for as far as you wanted to ride them. Never had any formal rider training so learned by the school of hard knocks, if you fall down get back up and do it again till you don't fall down.

Like I say no regrets at all and would gladly do it over again.

BD

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Takes me back, I remember having to read the book of Mice and Men for school. Good times.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
The level of care there is higher than anywhere else and I truly mean that. They saved my life.
When it comes to "reviews," Tob, it doesn't get ANY better than that.

Like I say no regrets at all and would gladly do it over again.
Most happy that you don't have to live on narcotics, BD and roger on thinking we'd never see forty. We males can be mighty stupid, can't we? <grin>

Hang tough, amigo..one day at a time.
Sponsored