Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Meanwhile I've had (lost) friendly bouts with multiple top end Porches. Including a GT3RS and an old 911 with this under the hood...30PSI...I need a Hellion kit...

20190316_183815.jpg
Will you admit that "friendly bouts" on public roads is tardish?
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I seem to get tailgated by minivans and priuses the most. People are idiots.
Fuck both of those vehicles and the people that drive them. Also fuck Yaris and fuck Elantra. All of them are weapons and I don't want any of them behind me.

I don't know whether it's because it's a cheap car or inexperienced drivers like them or what, but those 4 vehicles are easily the worst piloted on the road. At least here in Ontario, Canada.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For those who do run front and back dashcams: Did you do your own installation?
If not, what kind of business did you approach for purchase and/or installation?
Anyone with experience with a commercial purchase and/or installation,
what was the cost? Was it worth it to you?
Any hints, tips, tricks, warnings with regard to commercial purchase/installation?

I'm convinced by the comments in this thread that front and rear dashcams
might be an essential option; shouldn't the manufacturers offer it/them?

gnatsuM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If not, what kind of business did you approach for purchase and/or installation?
Any hints, tips, tricks, warnings with regard to commercial purchase/installation?

It's an easy self installation, and I don't have much mechanical/technical inclination. I got the Blackvue 750s 2 ch (was on sale at Amazon for around $450 I believe). I only needed to pick up fuse taps (Amazon) and a trim remover tool, which you could probably do without. Lots of youtube videos of installation. Overall definitely worth it... see youtube dashcam videos.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Car stereo shops can do it. But it is not a difficult job for the S550. Very easy to run the wires hidden front to back, and the cameras just stick to the glass with double sided tape.
Why they aren't offered: (a) the typical new car buyer is NOT aware of how valuable they can be, (b) the typical new car buyer is cheap and so resents it installed on a car they are interested in, (c) the technology is highly fluid, anything a car maker offers could be outdated before the first one shipped, (d) marketing doesn't like potential buyers even thinking about unpleasant aspects of car ownership.

Sponsored

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
People do this to me all the time, in my work truck, an 11,000 kenworth wheeler. I love it too. It’s like, go ahead buddy, you’ll lose this fight if you hit me or cut me off. So I just cancel my cruise control and slow down til they go around.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I did my own installation, with a Lukas LK-7200 in the front and a small Mobius ActionCam in the back. Works nicely.

The favorite video I have is one from a trip we made to Washington, DC. We came across a hawk who was just a bit too aggressive on the highway (no birds were harmed in the making of this video).

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Where I live, tailgating isn't so much the problem... but people who cut you off . I've lost count how many times some goof barely doing the speed limit on the highway, with no one in front of them, will change into my lane as I am coming up to pass and block me. I can be cruising along minding my own business and come upon one of these slowpokes, signal and change to the fast lane 10 car lengths behind them ... but once I get closer than 3-4 car lengths, they will move over and cut me off. I don't get it. More often than not it's some jack ass in an entry level BMW or Audi... Lots of idiots out there.
That happens all the time here in the Cleveland area. It's almost like they are waiting for you to get close enough to jump in front of you and force you to slow down because you got nowhere to go to get around them. It's like they are trying to force their morality on you by making you drive the speed limit or close to it. Here in Ohio the general consensus is you can go 10 mph over on the highways and the cops won't bother you, but go 11 and you get a ticket, so I set my cruise at 69 MPH or 9 over so I have a little cushion in case my speedo is off. Almost everyday I'll get some jackass see me coming at 69 mph and when I get close enough, they will pull out in front of me doing 60 or 61 mph. The ones that really piss me off are the ones that have noone in front of them but will change lanes to get in front of me anyway. When I encounter those idiots, I just go right pass them and dart back left as soon as possible and keep on rollin.

Coyotestang13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 3.73
Best way to get around it is to just slow down. Eventually they get tired and fly around you.
What works for me is a round or two of windshield cleaning. Usually does the trick at least temporarily.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
What works for me is a round or two of windshield cleaning. Usually does the trick at least temporarily.
Done that when my car was due for a wash. Not with the Mustang (yet).

I just double my following distance if traffic or slow down if there is room for them to pass. But I have a karma deficit so am very forgiving about it. Back in the '70s I had someone tailgating me on a 3 lane freeway. Something ahead caused the center lane I was in and the right lane to come to a halt. I noticed there was a car beside my tailgater in the open lane and just swung over in front of him at the very last second. My tailgater slammed into the line of almost stopped cars.

Sponsored

Coyotestang13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 3.73
Tailgating seems to be problem more when I'm driving the Mustang. Happened last two days ago where I swear this car was so close at lights they were a few inches away from my bumper when crawling in traffic. After the third time I went two lanes to the left to get away from that idiot. Probably doesn't have insurance it was a early 2000's Accord junker.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That happens all the time here in the Cleveland area. It's almost like they are waiting for you to get close enough to jump in front of you and force you to slow down because you got nowhere to go to get around them. It's like they are trying to force their morality on you by making you drive the speed limit or close to it. Here in Ohio the general consensus is you can go 10 mph over on the highways and the cops won't bother you, but go 11 and you get a ticket, so I set my cruise at 69 MPH or 9 over so I have a little cushion in case my speedo is off. Almost everyday I'll get some jackass see me coming at 69 mph and when I get close enough, they will pull out in front of me doing 60 or 61 mph. The ones that really piss me off are the ones that have noone in front of them but will change lanes to get in front of me anyway. When I encounter those idiots, I just go right pass them and dart back left as soon as possible and keep on rollin.
Yeah I swear they do it on purpose. It's the same kind of deal here too... Speed limit on the highway is 100Km/h (62mph), but the cops will not bother with you unless you're doing 25-30Km/h over. So naturally, most everyone cruises on the highway at at least 120Km/h. The ones that really piss me off are fairly easy to spot, thankfully. Usually its some old person in the slow lane doing 100 while tailgating a tractor trailer (real smart), then as I approach they will cut over into my lane and keep speed with the tractor trailer, blocking EVERYONE behind them. I know I said Audi and BMW before, but these ones seem to be clown cars like a Yaris or Prius. At the end of the day its not the car, but the driver. Some people are just assholes....

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
I just back off the throttle and let the tail Gate driver go around. My daily driver is a 4Runner TRD Pro with very large wheels. When I get a particularly dense person who continues to tail gate, I just back off on throttle and those big tires have a lot of drag so you slow down, then I throttle up normally again. This creates a inch worm affect where the person tail gating has to back off or will run into you. Its only a 1-2MPH variance, but just enough that gets there attention.

My job has me on the road quite a bit. What I see with greater frequency is the left lane riders. A car driving below the limit in the left lane holding up huge lines of traffic. These driver cause more accidents IMO resulting from people trying to get around them.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
What I see with greater frequency is the left lane riders. A car driving below the limit in the left lane holding up huge lines of traffic. These driver cause more accidents IMO resulting from people trying to get around them.
We call them left lane squatters around here but I get what you mean. Most of my daily travels are on I-480 and it has a nick name of Indianapolis 480 because most drive on it like they are competing in the indy 500. But every once in a while you get some moron who gets in the left lane and does 59-60 mph and just stays there and won't leave, hence the name squatters.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
[...
]
My job has me on the road quite a bit. What I see with greater frequency is the left lane riders. A car driving below the limit in the left lane holding up huge lines of traffic. These driver cause more accidents IMO resulting from people trying to get around them.
When I manage to get around them—usually on the right—I flash this sign at them.

16723112637_5a1d894c6b_c.jpg

Response varies from increased speed to changing lanes, to hand signs of some sort. Sometimes all three.
Sponsored