Sponsored

Odd experience with tailgating yesterday

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Yesterday I was on the highway, wasn't flying but was going maybe 75-80 in a 65. I passed what looked like an early 2000's GTO. Didn't look at the driver, didn't slow down to look at the car...nothing, just noticed it while passing by. Within 10-15 seconds, the guy moves over from his lane and is riding my bumper. Couldn't have been more than a few inches of space. My exit was coming up so I moved over two lanes so I could get off. So did he and continued riding my bumper until I got off.

Now I've had other cars wake up and then cat/mouse while driving spirited but this was different. I actually thought he was going to crash into me and he didn't back off when I came down 30mph or so to exit. I almost got the feeling like it was important for him to show me he could keep up or in some way dominate even though neither of us were even remotely close to our top speed.

Was this guy just a jerk or is there some unwritten etiquette that when one muscle car tailgates another that's like a challenge to race or something?? What's your experience been here?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
The guy was a retard. 'Nuff said.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
+1 to tard comment. I get this CONSTANTLY in my Si. Never the Gt though. Used to really get to me. Now I slow down and stick my arm out the window to signal a wave pass. If your that much of an idiot dont go near me and get away.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Yesterday I was on the highway, wasn't flying but was going maybe 75-80 in a 65. I passed what looked like an early 2000's GTO. Didn't look at the driver, didn't slow down to look at the car...nothing, just noticed it while passing by. Within 10-15 seconds, the guy moves over from his lane and is riding my bumper. Couldn't have been more than a few inches of space. My exit was coming up so I moved over two lanes so I could get off. So did he and continued riding my bumper until I got off.

Now I've had other cars wake up and then cat/mouse while driving spirited but this was different. I actually thought he was going to crash into me and he didn't back off when I came down 30mph or so to exit. I almost got the feeling like it was important for him to show me he could keep up or in some way dominate even though neither of us were even remotely close to our top speed.

Was this guy just a jerk or is there some unwritten etiquette that when one muscle car tailgates another that's like a challenge to race or something?? What's your experience been here?
I had an state cop in an unmarked car (a Mustang, no less) do this one time. No way to tell from the front that it was a statey, but after he passed me I could see the borders of the police lights in his back window. I assumed he was trying to get me to do something stupid but got bored after a minute or two.

They've stopped using the unmarked Mustangs around here now, and they've moved on to Malibus.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
If I'm in the fast lane I move over. If they continue to follow me after moving over I don't brake check them, instead there's a couple of different things I do. I simply let off on the gas slowly, a little at a time and it frustrates them to the point of going around. Or, I hold speed and never acknowledge their presence. Either way the morons end up finding another place to drive. They won't know what I am up to and move on without creating a conflict.

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I had an state cop in an unmarked car (a Mustang, no less) do this one time. No way to tell from the front that it was a statey, but after he passed me I could see the borders of the police lights in his back window. I assumed he was trying to get me to do something stupid but got bored after a minute or two.

They've stopped using the unmarked Mustangs around here now, and they've moved on to Malibus.
I don't understand that from cops. If it's an unmarked car tailgating my car and I decided to speed up to get away and he pulls me over isn't that instigating you to break the law? Is it still your fault?

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I don't understand that from cops. If it's an unmarked car tailgating my car and I decided to speed up to get away and he pulls me over isn't that instigating you to break the law? Is it still your fault?
Asking the right questions, no idea :/

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I don't understand that from cops. If it's an unmarked car tailgating my car and I decided to speed up to get away and he pulls me over isn't that instigating you to break the law?
Yup

Is it still your fault?
Probably. If you don't have front / rear dash cameras, definitely.

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Back to the "tool" in the POS GTO...had the same thing happen to me recently on my way back from Columbus, OH. I was in my Ford F350 and this jackass (rollin' coal) decided he wanted to drag race me. Because I didn't bite, he decided to tailgate me. I have front/rear mounted dash cams, so I recorded him for a while, then simply dialed 911. Unmarked OSP shows up (in the vicinity, I guess) and pulls alongside. At this point the idiot was about a foot behind me. OSP pulls him over and signals me to do the same (I had informed the dispatcher I had a dash cam). He spoke to the other driver first and then came over to me to say that the dickweed said I was trying to drive him off the road. OSP asked to see the video footage and I pulled it up on the app on my phone. The officer thanked me and promptly arrested the other driver for reckless driving.

I love my dash cams.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Back to the "tool" in the POS GTO...had the same thing happen to me recently on my way back from Columbus, OH. I was in my Ford F350 and this jackass (rollin' coal) decided he wanted to drag race me. Because I didn't bite, he decided to tailgate me. I have front/rear mounted dash cams, so I recorded him for a while, then simply dialed 911. Unmarked OSP shows up (in the vicinity, I guess) and pulls alongside. At this point the idiot was about a foot behind me. OSP pulls him over and signals me to do the same (I had informed the dispatcher I had a dash cam). He spoke to the other driver first and then came over to me to say that the dickweed said I was trying to drive him off the road. OSP asked to see the video footage and I pulled it up on the app on my phone. The officer thanked me and promptly arrested the other driver for reckless driving.

I love my dash cams.
Wow! Yeah, I keep procrastinating but for the GT I really should get a BlackVue. I'd think the guy also qualifies for some level of lying to a cop...

Thanks for sharing. Looks like I was judging correctly.

Jwh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It's like my exhaust pisses the person off i pass and they are like oh im gonna show you and start riding my ass.

My go to ? Prob shouldn't do this but...when im feeling moody i slow them down by letting off the gas all the way to 20 mph.....if they have decided to stay behind me after this then they are in it to win it. I gun it....and watch them try to gun it and keep up.....and they just continue to get smaller and smaller in my rear view mirror. It is at this moment they realize just how slow their car truly is and their attempt was worthless. Me? Feeling satisfied.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

I love my dash cams.
This right here is exactly the reason I run front and rear cams. I find some people drive like complete idiots as soon as they see a Mustang, or any similar car. I don't know what it is.

Where I live, tailgating isn't so much the problem... but people who cut you off . I've lost count how many times some goof barely doing the speed limit on the highway, with no one in front of them, will change into my lane as I am coming up to pass and block me. I can be cruising along minding my own business and come upon one of these slowpokes, signal and change to the fast lane 10 car lengths behind them ... but once I get closer than 3-4 car lengths, they will move over and cut me off. I don't get it. More often than not it's some jack ass in an entry level BMW or Audi... Lots of idiots out there.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
Guy is a douche....thats all

But since I got my GT every dickhead in a POS trailer trash vehicle wants to try to race me....none of the nice cars....only the losers....I do not indulge...
Sponsored