No Soul...

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
(Disclaimer: this post is just me sharing some opinions and random musings it doesn't really have a purpose...)

So a few days ago i test drove a 2019 GT PP1 and i must say that car is a dramatic improvement over my 2016 GT PP in almost every way...

Firstly the telescopic steering column. That made such an impact on me that I'm planning on retrofitting it to my car. The transmission is night and day better on that car than mine.

The extra power and noise was also amazing.

The only things I didn't like was the steering feel it was way too light, and the steering wheel materials, I also didnt like the dash, and the lack of hood turn signals.

The guy asked me if I wanted to trade my car for it and that he would give me an amazing deal and I still said no. All though the new cars are way better I prefer to fix the quirks on mine and keep it for some reason i love my 2016 more.

I told a friend who has a 2011 about it, he said the new cars have "no soul" and Ford's been "missing the Mark for years" he also hates my car when he drove it. But that "no soul" thing got me thinking.

What exactly do we call soul? And reality is its a bullshit argument... Soul is that immesurable feeling of nostalgia, and thrill that you feel when you drive a car. The entire time I was in the 2019 i kept remembering the road trips, track days, accidents, tire changes, date nights. All the adventures me and my car went through and I couldnt really focus on what the 2019 was trying to offer me.

But is that the cars fault? Or my own? It also didn't help that the sales guy was talking shit about my car... This car was my first new car, and I worked tons of overtime and saved for almost a year to put the deposit on it so it really ticked me off when he ragged on it...

Anyway, the quest to keep the "soul" of the car makes manufacturers make horrible design choices.

Think about what we are asking them to do. We want them to make the cars empirically worse or keep problems year to year so that we can buy a car that feels exactly like our current car with all the issues of our car and look exactly like ours but with more power... We want the cars to somehow handle better but not have smoother ride quality.

No one wants a lighter clutch even though the clutch has been horrible on these cars for years until the s550...

My first stang was a 2006 GT my uncles had a 67 and later a mach 1 and the truth is those cars were horrible... I do not miss my 2006 at all compared to my 2016. Personally im really happy to see how these cars are evolving, and i think using terms like "better" or "more soul" isnt a good way to describe them...

In reality mustangs are like suits you find the one that fits you the best...
Sponsored

Last edited:

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Hood turn signals? I have a '16 GT/PP as well and while "cool" they are useless. At 6'3" I am not a small person, and I still cannot see the passenger side repeater, the fold in the hood hides it (which is probably why the only did it for one year). Have not driven a new one, afraid I will come home in it (I would LOVE the digital dash)....

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Your 2016 has a telescoping steering wheel. Just give it a tug.

The steering on the 2019 is adjustable just like it is on your 2016. It's the same steering.

I traded my 2016 base GT PP1 car in on a new 2019 yesterday. It's much, much better. The magneride is amazing.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I don't know about soul... but the S197s(especially '11-'14) can get really sketchy with a lot of power. Maybe your friend was referring to this sketchiness since he owns a 2011. It's a lot easier to keep calm and composed in an S550 than an S197. On the other hand, the sketchiness keeps you on your toes and provides a thrill of its own.

Maybe your friend is jealous of your car? Who knows?

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Most vehicles that are beat to shit are referred to as having soul or character.

Your vehicles having problems, quirks, or otherwise is certainly not a superior hallmark of that vehicle. Your desire to keep it simply means you have an emotional attachment to the car.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Most vehicles that are beat to shit are referred to as having soul or character.

Your vehicles having problems, quirks, or otherwise is certainly not a superior hallmark of that vehicle. Your desire to keep it simply means you have an emotional attachment to the car.
Most agreed;

The younger the person, the stronger the emotional attachment to their vehicle. It's not really about the vehicle, it's about the people, places and things you do in/with it. As you get older, your ownership experience will change.

Your buddy with the 2011 car not liking yours is silly bias.

Last edited:

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Shouldn't be any difference in steering feel from a 15-17PP and 18+PP. If anything, the 18+ will be better since it has significantly better tires.

Also, the S197s have pickup truck interiors so I'd tell your friend to jog on. Also has a truck axle, so.... :wink:

I do not miss DD'ing with a solid rear axle.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My vintage cars and bikes (think pre-smog years) have soul.

They creak, rattle, squeak, and stink of fuel and oil. They make fantastic engine noises. The driving experience is, um, lacking due to terrible suspension tech and brakes. They require knowledge of each's individual quirks to even get them running. And their great styling always incites thumbs up, honks, and waves whereas my '15 Mustang is invisible. I love them.

I agree to a certain extent with the OP's friend, but prefer to call newer cars refined....the OP's friend's car has no more soul than a late-model.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
The OP's friend is the same kind of demographic buyer that GM based the Gen 6 Camaro off of. Basically a guy who has plenty to say but isn't likely to buy. In GM's case they asked the hardcore folks what they wanted but they are only a small amount of the buying public. The regular folks didn't like it and voted elsewhere with their wallets.

OP
OP
3star2nr

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Hood turn signals? I have a '16 GT/PP as well and while "cool" they are useless. At 6'3" I am not a small person, and I still cannot see the passenger side repeater, the fold in the hood hides it (which is probably why the only did it for one year). Have not driven a new one, afraid I will come home in it (I would LOVE the digital dash)....
I know they're gimmicky but i really like them haha and I actually prefer the analogue dash to the digital. The digital feels to video gamey.

Sponsored
OP
OP
3star2nr

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Your 2016 has a telescoping steering wheel. Just give it a tug.

The steering on the 2019 is adjustable just like it is on your 2016. It's the same steering.

I traded my 2016 base GT PP1 car in on a new 2019 yesterday. It's much, much better. The magneride is amazing.
It doesnt go as low as the 2019 which is way more adjustable

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
If you want a car with no soul, get a EV. I agree with what others say, older "classic" cars have soul. The best examples IMHO are the early to mid 60's. The body designers created works of art. They wanted their car to be different no just from the competitors cars but other cars from their own house. They designed the cars to actually seem like they had a soul. Today, most cars look the same. Some exceptions like our Mustangs, but there are several other cars out there that have copied it.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Soul?

Screenshot (324).png

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
If you want to know what a vehicle feels like with no soul...Drive a Prius! It is just an appliance that gets you from point A to point B.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
At least the S550 isn't a brick with wheels.
322005scionxb.jpg
Sponsored