Sponsored

No Lift Shift - Powershifting 2018

Blown_90LX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold boosted 5.0L Fox & 4.6 Cobra
Hey Guys,

Quick Intro- Longtime M6G follower/20+ year Mustang enthusiast - new to forums after long hiatus away after leaving youth job at speedshop (worked engine shop, tranny shop and parts), selling beloved Blown Fox, then Cobra and becoming a nearly boring automotive adult (currently have JK wrangler). Looking to get back to performance roots with a 2018 PPL2 (6M, of course).

On to my question: Ford is touting No Lift Shift on 2018 with new manual trans and goes as far as detailing that you can push the clutch in without taking foot off the gas (duh). In my day we called this powershifting and it left many of us T5 and T45 owners pulling tranny to replace syncros or entire unit.

After all these years, is it truly ok to powershift? I know they beefed up the syncros on new MT82 but is Ford really going to warranty us poweshifting at 7500 rpm?

Didn’t know if anyone had heard anything on this. Hasn’t popped yet on here or on M6G forum search. Looks like this feature will be put to good use while trying to keep up with badassedness of new A10.

Thx!
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
No lift shift is different than powershifting. For no-lift the ecu cuts power, so it's basically taking your foot off the gas for you.

gt4urass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Evidently, the "new" MT82 received some decent upgrades, including the synchros. NLS will definitely help longevity, but I don't know that it'll be "ok" to smash gears at 7500 constantly and expect it to live. I have been hoping for a good review on the tranny from a member as well. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
You do not need to gorilla shift these cars to get good numbers.

mike15gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It'll be the same feature as the 15-17 cars had that installed any level of the Ford Power Packs.
I was unsure at first when I installed my PP2 but noticed it was decently smooth and a bit faster when performing a no lift shift.

Like stated above, it uses the clutch switch which will electronically cut throttle. So while it is similar to the days of old with keeping your foot on the gas, it saves that tenth of a second or so that it would take to lift your foot and reapply the gas.

Sponsored

Swayse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt auto
If you "need" no lift shift, go buy an auto.

OP
OP
Blown_90LX

Blown_90LX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold boosted 5.0L Fox & 4.6 Cobra
If you "need" no lift shift, go buy an auto.
Big Fan of Roadhouse, I presume? Thank you for your pointless comment (though I will admit, you have pretty good taste in movies).

Unfortunately, I don’t have a choice. Although you willingly opted for the automatic in your GT, I didn’t ask Ford for any electronic training wheels. No Lift Shift comes with every 6 speed, whether I like it or not.

I was just trying to learn more about it - a big thanks to the other members so far for the good insights.

I would not have guessed it converts a powershift into an ecm assisted speed shift. Thanks to everyone so far for getting me up to speed.

Swayse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt auto
Big Fan of Roadhouse, I presume? Thank you for your pointless comment (though I will admit, you have pretty good taste in movies).

Unfortunately, I don’t have a choice. Although you willingly opted for the automatic in your GT, I didn’t ask Ford for any electronic training wheels. No Lift Shift comes with every 6 speed, whether I like it or not.

I was just trying to learn more about it - a big thanks to the other members so far for the good insights.

I would not have guessed it converts a powershift into an ecm assisted speed shift. Thanks to everyone so far for getting me up to speed.
Loved the movie, but the nickname was given to me by friends. My 1979 Toyota Celica GT had a lot body roll in the corners, sway, and I was 18 and drove like an idiot, a lot. Car had 90 hp, but at least it was rear drive.

I like shifting, I really do, I don't powershift, but I shift quickly. One of my Lund tunes had what felt like nls, my gosh I hated it. If you drive manuals enough, it'll become second nature. I could post a video as an example of my shifting skills, but this site isn't keen on street racing. If you're curious if I'm full of crap or not, look up Peter Enns on youtube, video is stingray vs 5.0 Mustang.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Still haven't tried the no lift shifting yet. It still scares me.

Sponsored

Racerbox77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Cobra
If the ECU is closing the throttle its not going to help the car go any quicker. The best way to set up NLS is to pull timing or cut ignition.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Ford Performance added no-lift-shift in their Power Pack 2. I had it. It was terribly executed. I assume they've refined that by now. And I assume FoMoCo wouldn't have allowed the disaster that my PP2 experience was. But... there's a reason they added in the nannies - transmissions break if you do it and they don't feel like warrantying it. Especially since they continued to use the MT-82 in a 50K+ MSRP car. #epicfail

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
If the ECU is closing the throttle its not going to help the car go any quicker. The best way to set up NLS is to pull timing or cut ignition.
Since the car is throttle by wire, I presume it's slightly more sophisticated that just cutting ignition. And when I say "throttle by wire" it's technically not "throttle", but commanded engine performance.
Sponsored