2018 factory no lift shift, other questions

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Got my GT last week on Memorial Day. I’ve read about the no lift shift being available in all mustangs for 2018. This evening I tried to see how it worked, I couldn’t find anything about it anywhere. My last 2 cars, FRS Focus ST, each had them in tunes, EcuTek for the FRS, Cobb for the FoST. The FRS would limit rpm as soon as the pedal was 100% and the clutch was depressed, whether it was 2k rpm or 7800 rpm. The ST activated after 5k rpm under the same circumstances, full throttle and depress the clutch. The mustang didn’t hold the rpm in any mode at any rpm with full throttle and the clutch depressed, I tried above 5k and around 7k, both times it just jumped up. I’m just trying to figure out all the options available.

Also I can’t seem to find a way to get the gauges to change to just a read out on the 12” dash. I see it available on the regular dash, but would like to see cyl Head temp and stuff in a regular readout instead of a gauge. Maybe it’s not an option:shrug: I can’t seem to find out anything in the manual.

And It seems if I turn off traction control I lose launch control?

Lastly any way to have my mode come up every time I start the car? It starts in normal every time, it’s fine I can change it with a flick of the switch, but it’s my mode for a reason lol.

Thanks and sorry for the questions. I’m just not able to find the stuff I’m looking for and the FB forum doesn’t seem to be helpful for anything but trash talking
Sponsored

Bpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
From everything I’m reading about everyone having transmission issues and shift forks snapping in the 2018, this is the last thing I’ll attempt on mine when it gets here.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I am not even certain why anyone would need a no-lift-shift. It seems odd and counter-intuitive to the veteran driver.

I understand for team motorsports and racing situation NLS has it's uses. But for 99% of buyers, I see no point.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
I am not even certain why anyone would need a no-lift-shift. It seems odd and counter-intuitive to the veteran driver.

I understand for team motorsports and racing situation NLS has it's uses. But for 99% of buyers, I see no point.
A new Mustang GT buyer's average age is 42 years old, according to Ford.

I can guess by the number of X's in the OP's username that he doesn't fit that demographic.

w3rkn, you're gettin' old, mate! The average Millennial learned how to drive stick by watching Fast and Furious 1-8 :). They don't understand mechanical sympathy and they're absolutely astonished that things break when they're abused.

Sponsored

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
My Mode

....Lastly any way to have my mode come up every time I start the car? It starts in normal every time, it’s fine I can change it with a flick of the switch, but it’s my mode for a reason lol.....

Pretty sure that's done on purpose. This video is worth watching all the way through, but you'll get your My Mode answer from the Mustang Marketing Manager at the 32 minute mark:

[ame]

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
More than likely only available via a tune.

OP
OP
gixxersixxerman

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
From everything I’m reading about everyone having transmission issues and shift forks snapping in the 2018, this is the last thing I’ll attempt on mine when it gets here.
It has a 60k Powertrain warranty. I’d rather have it break while in warranty then baby it it’s life and it finally snap at 80k.. But that’s your car do as you like:cheers:

I can guess by the number of X's in the OP's username that he doesn't fit that demographic.

w3rkn, you're gettin' old, mate! The average Millennial learned how to drive stick by watching Fast and Furious 1-8 :). They don't understand mechanical sympathy and they're absolutely astonished that things break when they're abused.
Hitting 40 this year I’m not sure to take it as a compliment or not lol, I can say I’ve had this user name since late 90’s when I raced semipro with CMRA on GSXR 600’s.

Ive been driving stick since 93 and I’m decent at it, many people I’m sure are much better. It’s a feature I’ve had with 2 cars in the past and from what I understand Ford claims it’s in the 2018 mustangs, if it’s there then I’d like to be able to use it, if it’s not then it isn’t the end of the world. I’ll get along just fine ;)

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
...Hitting 40 this year I’m not sure to take it as a compliment or not lol, I can say I’ve had this user name since late 90’s when I raced semipro with CMRA on GSXR 600’s....

I guessed there was a Suzuki input there somewhere.....I'm more of a Kwaka guy myself :).

Where did you read about this flat-shifting claim??

Sponsored

OracleHCR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Otis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP1, Mag, AE
It is a standard feature on all 18’s with a manual transmission. “2018 Mustang Manual transmission owners will notice a host of changes, thanks to the electrifying MT-82 6-Speed and a twin-disc clutch. The twin-disc clutch, along with the new dual mass flywheel, significantly enhanced torque capabilities by allowing for more precise shifts and better overall handling of the Gen 3 Coyote. The increased torque levels, along with the larger and improved synchronizers, are one of the staples of the all-new 2018 Mustang transmission for those lucky GT owners.

The standard inclusion of the no-lift-shift feature for all models is a prominent 2018 Mustang manual transmission upgrade from previous S550 models. The no-lift-shift maintains boost of four-cylinder 2018 Mustangs, which will lead to a faster acceleration and allow EcoBoost owners to enjoy the full power of their 2.3L motors in a timelier manner. Thanks to the no-lift-shift feature, drivers can keep the gas pedal floored while pushing the clutch and shifting gears at the same time.” (from cj pony parts)

OP
OP
gixxersixxerman

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I guessed there was a Suzuki input there somewhere.....I'm more of a Kwaka guy myself :).

Where did you read about this flat-shifting claim??
https://www.cjponyparts.com/2018-mustang-manual-transmission/c/60190170/

is what i can find easily, but the first time i remember reading about it was on here in a pre-production brochure i think, or bulletin. Im not the only one thats seen it, its on FB also, maybe they didnt include it and it was pre-production and will be included on the 19's along with the rev match feature. Thats something i wouldnt mid having as my mobility in my right ankle.... hell both ankles is trashed from jumping out of airplanes in early 2000's Airborne beats the joints up. but hopefully this pedal spacer kit i just ordered will fix it. it worked in my ST

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)

I know, I just want to believe it.
10 Years ago I could do backflips and practiced MA everyday. Today, I have 3 broken bones and 4 mangled discs. And the big five-O is next year.

Yeah, times have changed. I learned to drive a manual when I was 13 and had my license when I was 15...!

I was trying to do no-lift-shift on my simulator and even after 10 attempts, I couldn't mentally free myself to do it. It took too much concentration to override my instincts (when "power shifting") & that mental toil was not enjoyable.

I am not even sure if I will like rev-matching either.