Sponsored

New supercharger kit from Hamburger's Superchargers premiering at SEMA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
on an eddy-current dyno and SAE corrected. If we're going to ask for honesty, let's REALLY ask for some truth in advertising. :)

But seriously, do people really quibble over 30-50hp? eg. 650 vs 700. Like it matters...
15% off of 700 is 595RW, so yes it matters.
Sponsored

gtcs20148

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
Nope, Except the only numbers which mean anything with regard to HP Mods is the roll on RW Dyno. Because those are really world to the ground which everyone can correlate to. Quarter mile times is very subjective with numerous variables so the RW Dyno numbers is the ones can run a base line comparison with other Kits. Just Saying.
You do realize that every other manufacturer of Supercharger kits use Flywheel HP numbers for their kits. Roush, Whipple, Vortech, Procharger are all Flywheel numbers.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Nope, Except the only numbers which mean anything with regard to HP Mods is the roll on RW Dyno. Because those are really world to the ground which everyone can correlate to. Quarter mile times is very subjective with numerous variables so the RW Dyno numbers is the ones can run a base line comparison with other Kits. Just Saying.
And the RW dyno is not subjective to variables? I agree compare apples to apples.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Did someone in this thread answer the question of why an air-to-water IC is better than A-t-A? More hassle, expense, things to break and a centri is an easy A-t-A install. Must be a performance reason?

Note how Ford went air to air on their top mounted roots blower for the 89+ thunderbird SC. An insane amount of plumbing….I assume to avoid the hassle of integrating an a to w.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Did someone in this thread answer the question of why an air-to-water IC is better than A-t-A?
Water has 13 times the heat dissipating capacity of air.

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Water has 13 times the heat dissipating capacity of air.
I think his question is why is water needed versus other centris at similar HP levels using a/a. It is a trade off for more complexity for better cooling capacity, why wouldn't a/a work unless it makes much more heat? Perhaps it is something different.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Vortech used to supply a2w with their kits. I had one.
Why did they abandon it (or why did few buy it)? I think some fast drag cars with a2a centris, eg SolarFlare. A2w better for a road course?

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
A water cooled system is definitely NOT a Niche. It is the best way to cool inlet air, it comes down to MONEY, IE, profit margins.
Makes sense. But, and I know this is of zero importance, but it’s interesting that Hamburger is bringing it back when Vortech abandoned it…I’d have thought a water cooled option (and expense) would be of interest to VT or PC (or maybe ESS) maybe to differentiate or appeal to some folks as a higher-end kit. But I’ve hardly heard it discussed on this thread where it was the first thing I noticed. Anyway, it is what it is and probably will remain untouched as a subject, kind of like the significant difference in design of PD blowers Roots vs TS which also is apparently not an issue that anyone is interested in. In that case I think it’s because the TVS has made the traditional advantages of the TS moot or nearly so. Just a guess.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Good points @Meatball

Bottom line is sc companies build what returns the highest profits. If the typical buyer wants a simple setup that is also cheaper for the company to build, then that’s what they’re going to sell. If the market demands water/air and are willing to pay for it, that’s what will be built.

As to which is “better”, it’s a complicated subject. It only recently because evident to me that the heat rejection rate to atmosphere really doesn’t play much into for a drag car. Most of the heat from boost is absorbed by the metal (heat capacitor) or water in the intercooler at that time. You can see this when looking at drag logs. The air/air boost temp really starts shooting up on the back half because the metal has used up its heat capacitance, even though air rushing over the outside is at its highest.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.