Sponsored

New Roush SC Cooling Kit - what does everyone think?

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R / 2021 Shelby GT500
https://www.roushperformance.com/20...rade.html?mc_cid=08459f0d92&mc_eid=2a12c772ef

What does everyone think?
$2,100 for the kit.
I talked with the very experienced mustang / Roush tech at my Ford dealership today (super awesome and knowledgeable guy), and he said it is a "big job" and the car is getting cut up. Roush says 5 hours for the install on their website. The car would have four radiators on it.
Wonder if Roush will sell the kit customized to its customers who do not want the vented corner pockets and fender heat extractors?
I personally already spent money having the Roush non-vented corner pockets installed; so I may just have the dealer cut out sections of the pockets to allow them to be functional.
Wonder how effective the Roush kit would be versus a killer chiller or VMP triple pass heat exchanger? I know Killer Chiller is extremely effecitve, but I have heard numerous stories on PITA install challenges.

Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Interesting it doesn’t include pusher fans.
That is interesting. I also wonder about the documented temp reductions from Roush's pre-market tests. They have to have the published numbers on reduced CHTs and IAT2s for this unit and the expected HP gains from the lower temps. Roush is always big on publishing its flywheel HP numbers, so you'd think they would publish the data for this very expensive kit.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
I don't believe it will cool IAT2's any lower than it already does, but cooldown time will be decreased... Overall cooling will be improved as well.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I don't believe it will cool IAT2's any lower than it already does, but cooldown time will be decreased... Overall cooling will be improved as well.
Always worth a phone call to the Roush tech team to ask some direct questions.

Sponsored

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
Yeah.... they're always more than helpful. I honestly wish Roush would custom tune these. Their customer service is spot on....

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Yeah.... they're always more than helpful. I honestly wish Roush would custom tune these. Their customer service is spot on....
Gavin at Roush just sent me the upgraded digital TB for free - even though my warranty just expired. Super awesome service. I explained my "limp mode" issue and DTC codes I threw the other day, and he said its the older analog TB. New digital TB and removing the "SENT module" will cure the issue.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
This is per Roush. Why do you suppose the new kit would not reduce IAT2s?
  • +28% Engine Cooling Capacity
  • +22% Supercharger Cooling Capacity
  • 14% Reduction in Under Hood Temperatures

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
This is per Roush. Why do you suppose the new kit would not reduce IAT2s?
  • +28% Engine Cooling Capacity
  • +22% Supercharger Cooling Capacity
  • 14% Reduction in Under Hood Temperatures
because guys have replaced the heat exchanger with the vmp triple pass and have not seen much improvement.

if you do an even larger heat exchanger, bigger lines, and a much larger pump you might see some improvement..... but i had it priced out and it came to like $3000 without labor.... The KC was a much better option until a new intercooler is available.....

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
It’s great I think if your buying a Roush Stage 3 and it’s included in the price, but $2100 for the kit and probably another $1000 for install and your at $3100. That’s steep and no data on the actual improvement. Got to say Roush is at least trying to correct some of the inefficiency of the 2650 blower.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
It’s great I think if your buying a Roush Stage 3 and it’s included in the price, but $2100 for the kit and probably another $1000 for install and your at $3100. That’s steep and no data on the actual improvement. Got to say Roush is at least trying to correct some of the inefficiency of the 2650 blower.
I agree. If it does not reduce the IAT2s, then does not seem worth it in my opinion.

Are they trying to push this kit on track / road course guys to help the motor overall cool down between sets?

Seems like Killer Chiller is the way to go. Half the price, much more effective (and proven). Yes its a PITA install from what I have heard - probably still $1,000 - but it seems to solve the problem.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
KC plus install is about 2k....
That's what I was thinking as well. $950 for the kit (with the drag option) and about $1,000 install labor.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
The info on the kit says nothing about lowering iat2 levels. It mentions the supercharger but it is the IC under the supercharger that needs cooled to reduce iat2. This kit seems designed more for overall engine cooling and reducing under hood temps than reducing iat2. While it might reduce iat2 a little bit, I do not think that was the primary focus of this kit.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The problem with the KC is potential leaks. There are tons of complaints out there about that. That’s the one concern stopping me from buying one today.
Sponsored