Sponsored

New to S550, Why does everyone go with Whipple?

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I just picked up a manual 2017 GT Premium. I'm looking to add some power to it. I was wondering why everyone seems to go with the Whipple 2.9 kit vs a Kenne Bell? Back when I had my terminator it seemed it was teh complete opposite.
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I just picked up a manual 2017 GT Premium. I'm looking to add some power to it. I was wondering why everyone seems to go with the Whipple 2.9 kit vs a Kenne Bell? Back when I had my terminator it seemed it was teh complete opposite.
Not everybody chooses Whipple ...:D

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
For me it was all about using the Whipple tune. Installed the kit, loaded the tune and fired it right up without having to research tuners and worry about whether they keep all the safety features and sensors active. No additional cost to pay for a tuner and dyno time either.

Also, the Whipple fits the engine bay nicely and all of the parts are top notch quality. The front entry is nice for things like checking the oil and changing plugs.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I'd say more people go with something else than Whipple when you take into account all the power adders. If you're debating Whipple, Roush, VMP, or KB then yeah, most people go Whipple.

Then there's Paxton, Vortech, and ProCharger for centris.

Then there's BoostWorks, Hellion, LPF, Blackbird for twins.

Plenty of ways to make boost.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
not everyone goes whipple some go KB.

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I'm just starting to get smart on power adders like super and turbocharging and from what I've seen: All power adders have negatives. Some have higher IATs, some have more complicated installs with more piping, etc. It's all about what you're willing to live with/deal with, I guess.

I'm considering a SC myself but am not smart enough on the differences yet to know whether I want a belt-driven SC like a Whipple or an exhaust driven/turbo like a Procharger.

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I'm considering a SC myself but am not smart enough on the differences yet to know whether I want a belt-driven SC like a Whipple or an exhaust driven/turbo like a Procharger.
Procharger is belt driven, It is NOT a Turbo.. Its a Centrifugal Supercharger, Same for Paxton/ Vortech.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks for the clarification...like I said, I'm not smart yet. :headbonk:

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
For one, Kenne Bells adverisement game is pure trash.
They still depend on magazine sales to sell their product. They also seem very selective as to who distributes their product. Whipple has vendors out the ass so to speak. Not only that, Whipples presence on these forums is in every possible "What kind of boost should i get" thread.
There are a few of us KB guys out there and we're generally pretty happy with the system. Try to speak with Travis of Boostworks if you're interested in a kit, he gave me pricing better than a comparable Whipple by far.

My only gripe with this current setup? I'm not spinning the supercharger fast enough to make her whine when I go WOT.
Other than that it makes for a super fun car

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
For one, Kenne Bells adverisement game is pure trash.
They still depend on magazine sales to sell their product. They also seem very selective as to who distributes their product. Whipple has vendors out the ass so to speak. Not only that, Whipples presence on these forums is in every possible "What kind of boost should i get" thread.
There are a few of us KB guys out there and we're generally pretty happy with the system. Try to speak with Travis of Boostworks if you're interested in a kit, he gave me pricing better than a comparable Whipple by far.

My only gripe with this current setup? I'm not spinning the supercharger fast enough to make her whine when I go WOT.
Other than that it makes for a super fun car
I lost all my whine when going with the longtubes/no cats/corsa. Kinda miss it.

Sponsored

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
Whipple had a ton of fan boys here about a year ago...then they just disappeared. It was hardcore too. I think they all upgraded finally.

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
Honestly just depends on your goals. I ran my Whipple up to 900 ish. Now in the process of TT.

I had 0 real complaints with the Whipple, but most everybody will say the same thing about their kit untill they want more power. Which usually leads to a turbo build.
Sponsored