New guy. Fan question

rose62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My wife has a totally stock '17 GT. I've recently noticed the a fan is running constantly. Looking at the owners manual, I removed relay #91 and it stopped. I metered the relay but I don't know what it should read. The large contact spades (the load, I assume) read open but the control contacts read .08 ohms. Is that normal?

As an aside, recently a piece of treadplate flew off a truck and wedged into the front bumper. The bumper and headlight were replaced. Could this have caused the problem? It began over a month after the repair.
Sponsored

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Do you run your A/C all the time? A fan will run if the air is running.

OP
OP

rose62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Do you run your A/C all the time? A fan will run if the air is running.
Humid Georgia, so generally, yes.

Edit: Just deactivated the climate system and the fan continued to run.

received_794064744634486.jpeg

Last edited:

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
A typical 12V relay might read about 100 ohms across the coil. Some have a diode across the coil for suppression and that could throw off the ohm reading in one direction.

OP
OP

rose62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I just ohmed the relay and another that has the same schematic. They measured the same. I'm leaning toward the likelihood that the harness was damaged when the metal went through the bumper.

Sponsored

Call_Me_Bruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, Toyota Avalon,
I just ohmed the relay and another that has the same schematic. They measured the same. I'm leaning toward the likelihood that the harness was damaged when the metal went through the bumper.
You really need a bidirectional scanner to help troubleshoot. A bidirectional scanner can command the fans turn on or off. Typically the fans kick on with the AC running or when the coolant gets to about 210 F. A scanner without bidirectional control but with live data should be able to tell you coolant temperature. So with the AC off and the car from a cold start, no fans should be running. From what you are describing sounds like you have a dead short/harness damage. You can get a subscription to Alldata and pull a wiring diagram for the cooling fans and trace the harness to look for damage. If harness is good, try some swap-tronics and put a known good relay in and see if that helps. If relay is good, harness is good, connectors are good, then I'd lean towards problem with the fan itself.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Was this bought new? It could have a tune from a previous owner that turns on the fans much sooner than stock settings to help keep the engine cooler. Alot of tuners do that.

OP
OP

rose62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Was this bought new? It could have a tune from a previous owner that turns on the fans much sooner than stock settings to help keep the engine cooler. Alot of tuners do that.
We bought it two years ago with 8k miles on it (it now has about 20k). The issue began within the last month.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Do you mean it never shuts off even when the car is off and it still never shuts off? I had that issue with my Edge a couple years ago. The Ford service guy told me that all relay's that look the same and have the same pin pattern are the same. So since you know it's #91 find another relay that is the same and move it to that spot and see if anything changes. If it does then it's the relay and they're pretty cheap to replace.

OP
OP

rose62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Do you mean it never shuts off even when the car is off and it still never shuts off? I had that issue with my Edge a couple years ago. The Ford service guy told me that all relay's that look the same and have the same pin pattern are the same. So since you know it's #91 find another relay that is the same and move it to that spot and see if anything changes. If it does then it's the relay and they're pretty cheap to replace.
If the engine is running the fan is on.

Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
if you have forscan, or know someone locally with it you can control the fans. If you command the low speed fan off and it doesn't shut off then there could be a relay problem. i use the high speed control when sitting in the pits between track sessions.

bcm.PNG

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I would get an obd scanner to see it if pulls any codes. Forscan will work, but why did it suddenly stay on is the question. It seems a sensor is bad telling the car it is running too hot I would guess.

Is the temp gauge in the normal range?

DansFLHTI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Or you could remove the relay with the car off....start car and slowly install relay...see if you can feel the load contacts making...if you cant feel them making maybe the contacts are stuck together(relay is toast) try anther relay.if you can feel them making that is telling you there is 12v being applied to the trigger coil for some reason....or the ground side might be the switched side and it is switched on. The trigger voltage and ground are external to the relay.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
A fan running continously at high speed can also be an indication of a fault somewhere else (that is, not with the fan or relay themselves). Like an incorrect pressure in the A/C system, for instance. But in that case I would expect a DTC to be stored.

Last edited:

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Are you 100% positive you don't have any operation of Climate/AC/defrost active?
Sponsored