Sponsored

New front tires - alignment?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my 2018 GT w/Performance Package since new and that's totally normal wear
only because the Ford factory technician is blind and careless. I run 0.1 total toe and 2.7 camber and wear is perfectly sane. OP's condition is egregious and should not be excused.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
only because the Ford factory technician is blind and careless. I run 0.1 total toe and 2.7 camber and wear is perfectly sane. OP's condition is egregious and should not be excused.
It definitely seems like something is off and not normal...

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
In my experience (3 sets of Michellins replaced so far) this is pretty normal end. While its annoying to have a tire with plenty of tread get thrown out due to wear on just that inside edge, I have been getting 20k out of them, which aint too bad for summer tires overall.

still, getting the alignment checked when you replace tires will ensure they don’t die early due to easily correctable alignment issues. Alignments do drift over time.
Through the life of your three sets of Michelins, have you ever had your alignment checked?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Through the life of your three sets of Michelins, have you ever had your alignment checked?
yea, often. I usually have alignment done about once or twice a year, on average. (Lots of suspension changes, lots of autox and some track)

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
yea, often. I usually have alignment done about once or twice a year, on average. (Lots of suspension changes, lots of autox and some track)
OK, thanks. It just seems like there should be a way to adjust out some of this severe inside tire wear. I guess I will see if the car is out of spec first...

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yep, my fronts looked like that when I replaced them.

Business in the front (edge), party at the back (inside edge).

Replaced them, aligned the car, did the Steeda Extreme G-Trac front brace.

I should look and see where the wear is at now on the fronts. More even? Or the same? Been on there for 18K miles or so.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I've been through 6 sets of rears and on my 3rd set of front tires and the fronts do wear faster on the inside edges. I've also had 4-5 alignments to date. If your fronts are wearing faster than your rear tires you definitely have an alignment issue.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
OK, thanks. It just seems like there should be a way to adjust out some of this severe inside tire wear. I guess I will see if the car is out of spec first...
It helps to run a square setup. The rears don't seem to be as punishing to the inside edge, so running square and rotating helps even it out across all four corners.

I'd bet your toe is off if you haven't had an alignment in a while, which will exaggerate it.

Its possible that running slight toe in (so it will push to neutral under driving forces) miiight help. It was someone's suggestion, but I haven't confirmed it. Increasing tire pressure a lot might help keep the pressure off this inside edge at the expense of grip, comfort, and wear on the center of the tire. Maybe try running the fronts +2 or +3 PSI on the next set.

I really just think its a quirk of the MP4S(and MPSS before it) because we only see pictures of michellin tires with this specific wear pattern, and we've seen it on stock GT350s and countless others.

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
It helps to run a square setup. The rears don't seem to be as punishing to the inside edge, so running square and rotating helps even it out across all four corners.

I'd bet your toe is off if you haven't had an alignment in a while, which will exaggerate it.

Its possible that running slight toe in (so it will push to neutral under driving forces) miiight help. It was someone's suggestion, but I haven't confirmed it. Increasing tire pressure a lot might help keep the pressure off this inside edge at the expense of grip, comfort, and wear on the center of the tire. Maybe try running the fronts +2 or +3 PSI on the next set.

I really just think its a quirk of the MP4S(and MPSS before it) because we only see pictures of michellin tires with this specific wear pattern, and we've seen it on stock GT350s and countless others.
Thank you - is there another tire I should look at? These seem to be good tires from what everyone says...

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I just put a fresh set of Michelin 4s on. My old set were worn evenly.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you - is there another tire I should look at? These seem to be good tires from what everyone says...

IDK, I’m happy with the MP4S general performance and I get enough miles sooo…

After a couple years, its like the romance is over and the tires are hard anyway. I start head checking the date stamps on younger tires. I guess thats why I’m single.
Sponsored