New 2020 GT350 HEP engine failure

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
’m just gonna ask this... why are you on the GT350 forum bitch in’ about a blown 350 when you appear not to have one?
Really?
Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Yes... obviously, we all invested in the car, as well exchanged currency for a product.

To come in here and just bash away and make all the negative assertions you have is moot. You don’t have an similar investment.

It’s Just petty to wander over here and bash and douse gas on the hopes of someone who had an unfortunate circumstance. Hopefully, your bus won’t affect.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Drum

No one bought any of those cars as an investment. They bought them because they liked them, and could afford them.

If they went up in value, that was a bonus.
Ummmm, yes they did. Smh...

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Yes... obviously, we all invested in the car, as well exchanged currency for a product.

To come in here and just bash away and make all the negative assertions you have is moot. You don’t have an similar investment.

It’s Just petty to wander over here and bash and douse gas on the hopes of someone who had an unfortunate circumstance. Hopefully, your bus won’t affect.
Because that is what these guys do. I am coming to realize there is a fair amount of hate for this vehicle. As a long time Terminator guy, I see the same hate for this car as well from folks who have no intention in ever owning one.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I don’t get it. This will piss off a few for sure, but I’m bett’n most of the hate comes from economics.. Or a lack there of. I have 16Gt vert as well. That car is amazing as well. I don’t see the hate coming from true car guy’s, it’s usually the bench racer types.

Because that is what these guys do. I am coming to realize there is a fair amount of hate for this vehicle. As a long time Terminator guy, I see the same hate for this car as well from folks who have no intention in ever owning one.

Sponsored

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
I don’t get it. This will piss off a few for sure, but I’m bett’n most of the hate comes from economics.. Or a lack there of. I have 16Gt vert as well. That car is amazing as well. I don’t see the hate coming from true car guy’s, it’s usually the bench racer types.
A lot of people like to focus on failure. Just look at all the click bait titles on YouTube trying to grab your attention. We live in a society where it's "cool" to be negative...especially on the internet.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Wow you guys have some pretty thin skin. Nowhere did I hate on the car or its owners. I did question Fords engineering or lack there of.

A flat plane crank should look like a 4 cylinder.

OP
OP

mroad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
Autopsy pics:

GT350HEP4.jpg

GT350HEP5.jpg

Perfectly normal for this to happen 24 days after you purchase your car brand new.

GT350HEP6.jpg

GT350HEP7.jpg

GT350HEP8.jpg

Some asked for the builder plate. Here it is. I'm not blaming the builder. It may as well be a faulty part.

GT350HEP9.jpg

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Really hate it for you Sam. Hope they make it right for you. Beautiful car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's always valvetrain, it's a fault in the timing chain system, sometimes it comes completely off sometimes it just loosens enough to smack some valves. Either way the result is the same, I think the "diagnosis" from the dealers and what we are being told is what differs. If they're not allowed to tear the engine apart how do they really know what failed lol. Mine was passenger side bank just fyi.
There's a lot in this paragraph. The dealer doesn't really know what failed? I agree with this, if they didn't tear it down they probably won't know. But you seem to know. How many have you torn down?

I bet years from now we find out what this is related to and there are upgrade parts. It's really sad all ford put into this we still have to upgrade the oil pump gear on our own, and if you don't want oil smoke after a hard track run you have to install your own ford performance oil catch can. Like really? On the R model that should have come from the factory installed.
Now I'm a little confused. Is it always valvetrain, or is it the oil pump gear?

There are a lot of things about this car that are great. I'm not a fan of how they blamed exhaust routing on why they couldn't make a traditional flat plane crank firing order etc... Let's be real you just didn't want it to sound like a ferrari lol. But the ferrari design is better sadly.
I remember hearing that the issue was on the intake side and with hood clearance. Exhaust really wouldn't impact the available firing order.

On a complete tangent look at the cargo vans you used to be able to get a transit connect cargo with an ecoboost 4 now you can't because they were all blowing up, fusions are dropping flywheels left and right, escapes/ecosports/edges blowing head gaskets still and now there is a class action lawsuit . The regular cargo vans you could get the 5 cylinder diesel, that's gone too my friend had one lose all oil pressure and drop a cylinder after 2 years. All you can get is a 3.5 which is honestly their most reliable engine. Ram went from the cp3 injection pump in 18 to the cp4 (that ford uses on the 6.7) and 2 years later in the 2021 they changed it back to a design similar to the cp3 because the cp4 scatters on the regular. There are big problems with EVERY engine they make except maybe the 3.5 it seems pretty stout. Everyone chimes in and says oh every manufacturer has that problem. That's simply not true. Ton of other manufactures that don't have regular serious engine/driveline failures across their entire line of transportation.
I'm curious where Ford ranks as far as quality goes? I've owned a lot of Fords and never had any of the issues you mention. It seems like you are just here to knock Ford.

My plan is to keep this 350R and make Ford put about 5 or 6 engines in it on their dime with my extended warranty. Not going to modify it one bit, no burnouts, let the dealer service it so it's on record that it got all the services, and then drive it like it was intended to be driven. If I don't wind up on the 5th engine by 75k I'll be impressed either way it's the only thing I can really do to stick it to Ford.
If you don't money shift the car, you are likely to get to 75k with the first engine. I agree you should drive it like it's meant to be driven. Hopefully you will get a lot of enjoyment out of your attempts to stick it to Ford. Good luck.

Sponsored

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
There's a lot in this paragraph. The dealer doesn't really know what failed? I agree with this, if they didn't tear it down they probably won't know. But you seem to know. How many have you torn down?

Now I'm a little confused. Is it always valvetrain, or is it the oil pump gear?

I remember hearing that the issue was on the intake side and with hood clearance. Exhaust really wouldn't impact the available firing order.

I'm curious where Ford ranks as far as quality goes? I've owned a lot of Fords and never had any of the issues you mention. It seems like you are just here to knock Ford.

If you don't money shift the car, you are likely to get to 75k with the first engine. I agree you should drive it like it's meant to be driven. Hopefully you will get a lot of enjoyment out of your attempts to stick it to Ford. Good luck.
I got 130 miles out of the first engine, and if the engine can't handle 8k RPM's why is the redline 8200? Redline is supposed to be well within the safe limits of the engine. It's really not an extreme rev limit a ton of cars do near that stock without issue. If you're not going to rev the car what the F is the point of a flat plane crank N/A race engine? It's not a torque monster for sure.

The issue with the 2020 voodoo engines lies in the timing chain, you can take the cam position sensors out and diagnose if it's turning or not but without Ford letting the dealers tear them down we won't know what actually caused the failures. Some day someone will have voided the warranty on theirs and tear it down themselves and we'll know, or a technician will break the rules.

We all know the oil pump gear strength is crap because the first thing every twin turbo kit install starts with is upgrading the oil pump gear lol. Look at fat house or aldo welds etc.... the oil pump gear is part of their kits, and it has not shit to do with installing a turbo kit it's just a reliability item they know the engines need.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1609029236277.png

Is the secondary timing chain missing?

Super-Genius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Oxford White Mustang GT
so I’d hardly refer to it as being killed off.
Ok. What would you hardly refer to it as then ? The bottom line is that it's no longer being made. I'm sure there are several reasons for that, I was just wondering aloud what those were. I don't own one, so I have no beef ...
Sponsored