MIDLYFE

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Normal mode is for putting around in traffic. Regardless of what they call it, or what they should more accurately call it, it has a time and place.

I certainly don't want to drive around lightly in Sport or Track modes...the high revving before shifts and aggressive downshifts as I come to a stop are highly annoying when I'm just putting around at 25mph side street speed limits.

Now on an open twisty road with no traffic...yeah that mode is trash but that's where the other modes come in and what they were made for. Choice is good.
I found this too be true before I got smooth on the throttle.
Sponsored

JK XLR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JK
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Roushcharged
Coming from a 6spd 500hp GT to a A10 750hp has me scratching my head. Don't get me wrong, the 750 absolutely kills my old stang but I really enjoyed the predictability of the 6spd (I was in control). Is there a shop that can tune the A10 without voiding the warranty?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I can't be the only person here who finds Normal Mode in the A10 5.0 absolutely awful. I never drive in normal as I find it an insult to the Coyote. It might not bother me so much if it was called Conservation Mode and wasn't the default setting but it really is pathetic. Sport and Track mode are where the magic happens. The way the auto roars through the gears and rifles through rev matches before making a hard turn are what makes me smile. Even when driving in mellow situations normal mode feels bogged down, too quiet and just plain boring, Hell I might as well be driving a Ford Fairmont.
I know itā€™s January and a lot of us are bored but why bitch about something you do not have to use. Itā€™s there for a reason (corporate fuel mileage and guzzler tax) and isnā€™t changing. Go have a hot toddy and a Snickers bar and chill out. :cwl: :crackup: :like:

OP
OP
MIDLYFE

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
I know itā€™s January and a lot of us are bored but why bitch about something you do not have to use. Itā€™s there for a reason (corporate fuel mileage and guzzler tax) and isnā€™t changing. Go have a hot toddy and a Snickers bar and chill out. :cwl: :crackup: :like:
Thanks to @JK XLR8, I'm gonna go with Mushy Mode from here on out.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I really enjoyed the predictability of the 6spd (I was in control). Is there a shop that can tune the A10 without voiding the warranty?
You have the exact predictability and control of a manual 6 speed built right in. Put it in Sport mode with the paddles and you are 100% in control of what gear you are in and when it shifts just like in a manual.

No shop can tune "predictability". They can tune for a smoother shifting transmission, but it can't guess on when you want it to shift. The only option you have for better shifting and keeping some sort of warranty is the Ford Power Pack. It's expensive, but well worth it IMO. It really transformed the car and shifting.

Sponsored

JK XLR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JK
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Roushcharged
Thats true, paddles in sport mode work for me. I am just talking about how hard it hits from gear to gear if I am not wot in sport mode and how lethargic it is in drive mode. I will look into the power pack, havent heard of that yet, thank you.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thats true, paddles in sport mode work for me. I am just talking about how hard it hits from gear to gear if I am not wot in sport mode and how lethargic it is in drive mode. I will look into the power pack, havent heard of that yet, thank you.
Pretty sure you can't use the power pack if you have a roush blower and tune. Only way up is a custom tune from someone.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I am just talking about how hard it hits from gear to gear if I am not wot in sport mode and how lethargic it is in drive mode.
You can also try re-setting the learned transmission settings. I found it to be alot smoother and less harsher after doing that especially if you drive hard alot. What happens is the trans learns you drive aggressively so then it will translate those settings to normal driving. If you reset them then normal will be not as harsh.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I couldnā€™t say, because in more than a year Iā€™ve never so much as tried it. And I never intend to. I started off in sport then morphed over into track.

If I need to go somewhere that requires normal, Iā€™ll just take the Ascent. Iā€™m admittedly stuck in 1969-1970 and donā€™t want to get out. Funny but I donā€™t remember any of the really bad azz cars from that era having normal mode.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Normal in the manual is not "bad", but it sure as hell ain't Sport+. I drive in Normal only until the cylinder head temps are normal, and I shift around 3K. After that it's "give em hell dale".

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You can also try re-setting the learned transmission settings. I found it to be alot smoother and less harsher after doing that especially if you drive hard alot. What happens is the trans learns you drive aggressively so then it will translate those settings to normal driving. If you reset them then normal will be not as harsh.
That's a great point. Was the SC installed as new or after you had already driven the car? If the former then it should already have a Roush tune in it (with their warranty). If the latter relearning could possibly help. You should also contact Roush and see what they can do.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the difference between Normal and Sport is shocking.
Except its just a ruse. The only difference in a manual car (w/o magnaride) is the pedal position to throttle map. The car doesn't get faster, it just floors it *for you*. Believe me, your left foot is up to the challenge if you have a little faith.

OP
OP
MIDLYFE

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Except its just a ruse. The only difference in a manual car (w/o magnaride) is the pedal position to throttle map. The car doesn't get faster, it just floors it *for you*. Believe me, your left foot is up to the challenge if you have a little faith.
I was referring to the automatic. Huge difference.

JK XLR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JK
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Roushcharged
That's a great point. Was the SC installed as new or after you had already driven the car? If the former then it should already have a Roush tune in it (with their warranty). If the latter relearning could possibly help. You should also contact Roush and see what they can do.
Yes, car was bought brand new with the sc and roush tune....I am not sure if the tranny gets tuned along with the engine on the roush tune?

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No shop can tune "predictability". They can tune for a smoother shifting transmission, but it can't guess on when you want it to shift.
While your point is certainly valid, I think I know what he means. The more gears you have, the more of them can be considered "correct" at the same time in a given situation, depending on a lot of criteria, many of which you don't actually care about. So the higher the chances are that the gearbox will choose a different gear than the one you would.
The classic three or four-speed slushmatics of the good old days were pretty darn predictable, simply because there was always one correct gear for the current speed and throttle input, and the gearbox would always choose that one - unless you floored the loud pedal, in which case it would downshift. Marvellous. Simple and eficient. You always knew what to expect. You could control the gear changes easily with just your right foot - no manual mode was necessary, no paddles, no electronic drive modes. You got used to the gearbox, learned how it would react, and controlled it perfectly just by varying the throttle input.
Whereas nowadays all this control is gone. What you do with your right foot has only a slight effect on what the gearbox does, because it cares more about other things than about your throttle input. Moreover, when its overly complicated algorithm results in two possible options, it may choose one of them today and another one tomorrow - hence the feeling of unpredictability. It is indeed unpredictable. And the fact that it tries to "learn" your habits and to "adapt" to them makes things even worse, it makes it even more unpredictable.
Sponsored

Last edited: