Sponsored

Never Normal Mode

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
2021 6MT GT with Roush phase 2 SC here - I have no interest in Sport mode because of it's artificial sensitivity. Drive it in Normal when too lazy to flip the switch, otherwise prefer Track Mode much more, except for wet roads and colder temps of course.

I mean the modes are basically only for the automatic, they do essentially nothing for the manual cars other than throttle sensitivity (which I personally hate messing with that, pressing the pedal less and getting more power is just a cheap trick). So it makes sense normal mode will feel awful for the A10 users.
Not sure what you mean. Aside from throttle sensitivity (which itself is very noticeable), modes change the steering, suspension, exhaust, traction control. That's pretty substantial, so no, they modes are not just for automatic.
Sponsored

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
Normal mode is for putting around in traffic. Regardless of what they call it, or what they should more accurately call it, it has a time and place.

I certainly don't want to drive around lightly in Sport or Track modes...the high revving before shifts and aggressive downshifts as I come to a stop are highly annoying when I'm just putting around at 25mph side street speed limits.

Now on an open twisty road with no traffic...yeah that mode is trash but that's where the other modes come in and what they were made for. Choice is good.
this. if im in traffic on a 40mph limit street with cars all over, just cruising, why would i want the rpms hanging high, downshifting to every redlight, wasting gas and unnecessarily keeping rpms up. some of you seem to really need to get your a10s checked out if they're doing all the weird shit youre describing in normal. :cwl: sport/track mode for spirited driving, hell yes, of course. far more fun. i dont need to have it downshift to every stop light like it's a corner at COTA though, and rev it out a grand or so higher than necessary every time either. unnecessary wear and tear IMHO.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Not sure what you mean. Aside from throttle sensitivity (which itself is very noticeable), modes change the steering, suspension, exhaust, traction control. That's pretty substantial, so no, they modes are not just for automatic.
Those can be set independently of the drive modes. So they don't count. You can create a My Mode with your desired steering and exhaust settings, once with Normal mode and once with Sport+ mode. What would be the difference between them? And the answer, with a manual gearbox, would be "just the suspension, plus a very subtle change in the throttle mapping which is all but irrelevant".
Which is why I only use Sport+ when I want the suspension in Sport mode.
An automatic is, of course, a different story. I understand the Sport+ changes its behaviour considerably.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but it can't guess on when you want it to shift
actually it 'can'. I worked up a detailed up and downshift schedule based on MPH and current gear and throttle threshold. I just haven't convinced a tuner to write the changes to the TCM.

Ford did a MAJOR disservice to A10 buyers, even those "poors" who can only buy 100/300A trims by removing the paddle shifters in 2021.

JK XLR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JK
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Roushcharged
Does anyone know offhand if the Roush Phase 2 SC tune also tunes the transmission?

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Those can be set independently of the drive modes. So they don't count. You can create a My Mode with your desired steering and exhaust settings, once with Normal mode and once with Sport+ mode. What would be the difference between them? And the answer, with a manual gearbox, would be "just the suspension, plus a very subtle change in the throttle mapping which is all but irrelevant".
Which is why I only use Sport+ when I want the suspension in Sport mode.
An automatic is, of course, a different story. I understand the Sport+ changes its behaviour considerably.
The fact that you can mix and match some settings in My Mode doesn't make other modes "basically only for the automatic". I use them a lot and I have a manual.

The statement that "they do essentially nothing for the manual cars" is also incorrect, as they change the car manners quite noticeably. Sure, some cars may not come equipped with magneride or active exhaust, but same is true for automatic as well.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The fact that you can mix and match some settings in My Mode doesn't make other modes "basically only for the automatic". I use them a lot and I have a manual.

The statement that "they do essentially nothing for the manual cars" is also incorrect, as they change the car manners quite noticeably. Sure, some cars may not come equipped with magneride or active exhaust, but same is true for automatic as well.
Sure, if you put it like this.
But this isn't what Ryan meant, if I read him correctly. I'm sure he meant it the same way that I did.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Since I added active exhaust, it starts in quiet. When I leave the neighborhood I keep it in normal then sport or track; coming in I go normal then quiet.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Sure, if you put it like this.
But this isn't what Ryan meant, if I read him correctly. I'm sure he meant it the same way that I did.
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to nitpick and pull some statements out of context. I'm just saying that the modes are pretty useful in MT cars as well, and they are not centered just around the way transmission is shifting.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
On my 2020 automatic GT California Special, I only use normal mode on the first start-up of the day until the car is fully warmed up. Then, I switch to Sport+.
Otherwise, the transmission is too jerky and hesitant:(
Two things I do not like about normal mode. First, it is always in too high of a gear. Second, because it is in too high of a gear, it takes away sound from the loud exhaust:)

Sponsored

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I'm sure I'd agree if I had an automatic. With a manual, however, the only difference I can perceive at all between Sport and Normal is how the suspension feels. Everything else is the same.
I have a 2021 GT Premium PP and there's a huge difference between Snow/Wet, Normal and Sport+ modes. Throttle is much faster and REV matching seems more aggressive. I use Normal when the wife is in the car and she doesn't want to be jerked around. What I wish is that My Mode would be the default. It remembers when I have my heated steering wheel and seat warmer on...and keeps that into the next startup, but it will default back to normal mode. Also, if I put my exhaust to track while in My Mode, it changes the setting to Normal exhaust when I go back in it on another startup. The last thing is probably a software glitch...but the default mode deal is on purpose from Ford.

food_fanaticz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT Premium
I can't be the only person here who finds Normal Mode in the A10 5.0 absolutely awful. I never drive in normal as I find it an insult to the Coyote. It might not bother me so much if it was called Conservation Mode and wasn't the default setting but it really is pathetic. Sport and Track mode are where the magic happens. The way the auto roars through the gears and rifles through rev matches before making a hard turn are what makes me smile. Even when driving in mellow situations normal mode feels bogged down, too quiet and just plain boring, Hell I might as well be driving a Ford Fairmont.
Yeah it's definitely more sluggish in the normal mode. I drove it in normal mode the first two months I bought my mustang..and have only been driving in sport+ for a few days and such a difference lol in a good way!

RazorRS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rafael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack 1
so, i always drive my 6spd in normal mode…i made a my mode where it’s normal, but with track exhaust. i have a thing in my head where this car is going to “learn” the tune just like my 2014 v6 definitely did whenever i tuned it, and over time, it got slower if you didn’t constantly run it hard….so i feel that my car has already learned me from normal, and if i use sport all the time, i’ll F that tune up bc i don’t drive it hard lol so the increased throttle response will go away.
I’m almost positive the manuals “learn” your driving just like the autos, bc in my old v6, i had to reflash my MPT tune every like 2 months for it to feel snappy again…it would just get slower over time. if the s550 is different, please let me know lol
I'm shocked, the 6SPD can learn can learn the driving habits?

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
If I had to guess I would say normal mode is used the majority of the time with mustangs. Lest we forget the majority of mustangs are not GTs, they’re not driven to redline, they’re not really enjoyed. The majority are sold to people who like the look and don’t ever come near mustang6g.com or any other forum because their mustang is no different than the VW Jetta they traded in for it…

OP
OP
MIDLYFE

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Yeah it's definitely more sluggish in the normal mode. I drove it in normal mode the first two months I bought my mustang..and have only been driving in sport+ for a few days and such a difference lol in a good way!
Yeah, never go back. And the smoother you are on the throttle the better especially with normal easy driving.
Sponsored