Never Normal Mode

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I can't be the only person here who finds Normal Mode in the A10 5.0 absolutely awful. I never drive in normal as I find it an insult to the Coyote. It might not bother me so much if it was called Conservation Mode and wasn't the default setting but it really is pathetic. Sport and Track mode are where the magic happens. The way the auto roars through the gears and rifles through rev matches before making a hard turn are what makes me smile. Even when driving in mellow situations normal mode feels bogged down, too quiet and just plain boring, Hell I might as well be driving a Ford Fairmont.
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think the throttle in the manual feels lethargic too - but that could be placebo ?

WD :like:

OP
OP
MIDLYFE

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure I'd agree if I had an automatic. With a manual, however, the only difference I can perceive at all between Sport and Normal is how the suspension feels. Everything else is the same.
Yeah, the difference between Normal and Sport is shocking.

Sponsored

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
Most of the time I’m in Sport mode with AE in Sport too…I agree sometimes it feels like it bogs down in Normal mode so I find myself paddle shifting down a few gears…

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
so, i always drive my 6spd in normal mode…i made a my mode where it’s normal, but with track exhaust. i have a thing in my head where this car is going to “learn” the tune just like my 2014 v6 definitely did whenever i tuned it, and over time, it got slower if you didn’t constantly run it hard….so i feel that my car has already learned me from normal, and if i use sport all the time, i’ll F that tune up bc i don’t drive it hard lol so the increased throttle response will go away.
I’m almost positive the manuals “learn” your driving just like the autos, bc in my old v6, i had to reflash my MPT tune every like 2 months for it to feel snappy again…it would just get slower over time. if the s550 is different, please let me know lol

JK XLR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JK
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Roushcharged
I agree 100%.....mine barely uses 1st, jumps into second immediately, then continues to shift....mind of its own. Mushy, inaccurate bs. I only have Drive mode and Sport mode. Put it in Sport and the thing shifts like I have a massive shift kit, bangs, slams, jerks.....totally unnecessary. Bringing to dealer Feb 1st.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I think the throttle in the manual feels lethargic too - but that could be placebo ?
There is a difference in the throttle mapping, but it's subtle, and only after a certain point.

Untitled.png

In practice I can't say I've ever felt it. I guess it's because I never think about how hard to push the pedal - I just keep pushing I until I get the reaction I want. If that means 25% or 30% or 100%, that's irrelevant to me. I will quickly and naturally adapt to any throttle mapping (within reason, of course).

OP
OP
MIDLYFE

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
I agree 100%.....mine barely uses 1st, jumps into second immediately, then continues to shift....mind of its own. Mushy, inaccurate bs. I only have Drive mode and Sport mode. Put it in Sport and the thing shifts like I have a massive shift kit, bangs, slams, jerks.....totally unnecessary. Bringing to dealer Feb 1st.
"Mushy" is an accurate description. lol

Sponsored

JK XLR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JK
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Roushcharged
How about when getting into 3rd......my revs begin to go up, then it feels like the tcc kicks in, brings me down 2-300 rpm, then comes back up......it should be a linear transition gear by gear, mine is all over the map unless I'm 100% wot.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Sports mode only when GF is not in the car and when Chargers and Challengers are hunting me down the Interstate, then Skippy needs to run. 🏎 Otherwise, meh, I don't care, it's always snappy and responsive. (6 speed manual)

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I mean the modes are basically only for the automatic, they do essentially nothing for the manual cars other than throttle sensitivity (which I personally hate messing with that, pressing the pedal less and getting more power is just a cheap trick). So it makes sense normal mode will feel awful for the A10 users.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Normal Mode in the A10 5.0 absolutely awful. I never drive in normal as I find it an insult to the Coyote. It might not bother me so much if it was called Conservation Mode and wasn't the default setting but it really is pathetic. Sport and Track mode are where the magic happens.
Normal mode is for putting around in traffic. Regardless of what they call it, or what they should more accurately call it, it has a time and place.

I certainly don't want to drive around lightly in Sport or Track modes...the high revving before shifts and aggressive downshifts as I come to a stop are highly annoying when I'm just putting around at 25mph side street speed limits.

Now on an open twisty road with no traffic...yeah that mode is trash but that's where the other modes come in and what they were made for. Choice is good.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I found the A10 to be boring in general. I've said it before, like driving a bowl of oatmeal 🤣 ... OK it's not that bad, but rowing gears with a Tremec is way more fun for me.

If the EPA wasn't up the auto industry's collective backside I wonder if the A10 would have been developed 🤔
Sponsored