Sponsored

Need some help guys please...leaking diff & backordered part

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
Alright, this may take a bit to explain. I'll try and cut out unnecessary details.

Back in February, I had noticed a small drip leak coming from my diff. I took it into Ford, and they determined that the an adapter (DR3Z-6K741-A) on the rear diff cooler was faulty, and replaced.

Fast forward to May, the leak started happening again. I took it back to Ford, and this time, they determined that the same adapter had to be replaced, but also the rear axle cooling tube assembly (FR3Z-4C159-B). They got the adapter in, but the tube assembly was delayed several times. After delays of almost 2 weeks and my car sitting up there, it turns out this tube assembly is on a national back order, and not available from Ford at the moment, period.

It's now June 3rd, and the ETA is July 1st for Ford to have this part available and ready to ship. At this point, I asked the service manager if I could take my car back, and have them let me know when the part arrives. He said that was fine, and I took my car home and parked it. I haven't driven it since.

So now we're in the present. This past Tuesday, I asked the service manager for an update on the tube assembly. Ford's ETA has now been pushed back to end of July. I'm in shock now! I asked the service manager if I could find the part, buy it, and bring it to them, that they would complete the repair. He said that was fine. I've looked this week online and purchased one from eBay, and one from Tascaparts. The eBay one just got cancelled, and I'm not holding my breath that Tasca actually has it in stock (waiting on confirmation from them).

So now guys, I have a few questions:

1. Has anybody had this same issue with their rear diff cooler before?
2. Does anybody know WHERE/IF I can find this part?
3. Is there a solid aftermarket option available? (the service manager said this would be fine too)
4. If I can't find this part, and I really do have to wait until at least end of July to get it, is there a temporary solution that will safely let me drive my car?

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thanks for reading. I'm desperate at this point. I got my car right at the end of last year and couldn't have been happier. It kills me to just have her sitting in the garage collecting dust right now.
Sponsored

BoilerBart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, Performance Blue, Handling Pkg
Feel your pain. I bought my 19 on Friday 6/12/20 and found my leak on Sunday....day 3 of ownership. My dealer is replacing the whole line assembly from diff to pump. They say the order system shows next week but Iā€™m not holding my breath based on your experience. I may ask them to plug the two diff ports and drive it home until the parts arrive. I donā€™t believe we can get the diff to the 290+ deg for the pump to kick on in normal street driving. Thoughts?

OP
OP
ssmith891

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
There has to be more insight on this.

BoilerBart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, Performance Blue, Handling Pkg
My dealer is now quoting a 7/22/20 ship as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ssmith891

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
I found it! Tri-County Ford in Kentucky had one in stock and shipped to me! Just arrived today. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to hopefully fix this for good.

Thank you @fordsvtparts for the reference. Wondering how my dealer couldnā€™t figure this out in the first place.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
bla bla bla

Yes, this happened to me. The part was backordered as well. It took some creativity to work the problem.... however i must ask how much fluid you have lost? Just a few drips here and there? If so, you can work the o ring to try to get a good seal. if this has been going on for a while, you need to service with more fluid.

The fitting is held into the differential by a C clip. There will be play fore and aft within the fitting to move the assembly back and forth and side to side.

Excercise that fitting to try to maintain a seal. It worked for me. Keep in mind you may want to top off the differential with diff fluid. I do believe the spec Is 9mm below the fill hole. If you fill it to the bottom of the fill hole, you could vent diff fluid out of your vent under track conditions

Alright, if you don't like what I said, back to the bla bla bla.

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
What was the outcome of this? I have the same problem with a 2021 Mach 1. So far can't get parts.
Lee

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
What was the outcome of this? I have the same problem with a 2021 Mach 1. So far can't get parts.
Lee
I had the same problem with my GT350 shortly after I got it, but the leak wasn't that bad so I was still able drive it still for a month or two before I got it replaced.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I was able to work the fitting to where the leak stopped until the part could be installed. You can drive it as long as you are sure your fluid level is ok. to do this, you have to jack the car, remove the fill hole, and check the fluid level. IIRC, the full level is 9mm below the fill hole with the car level. I used a piece of 14 gauge wire and made a tool to verify the level. If its not full, fill it and enjoy the car until the part gets in. You should be fine as long as we are just talking about minor drips.

Sponsored

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
Got the part, (DR3Z-6K741-A) the dealer installed it today so far about 100 miles and all is well.
Thanks
Lee

Edwar5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwar
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Got the part, (DR3Z-6K741-A) the dealer installed it today so far about 100 miles and all is well.
Thanks
Lee
I had this problem too on my Mach 1 and got this exact part replaced. A couple hundred miles later and my car is leaking again. Itā€™s back at the dealership to get diagnosed. Really frustrating

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
For the leaky ends to the diff just cut the ends off and prep them for AN fittings and problem will be solved. I have never had a leaky oil, trans or diiff when plumbed with AN style plumbing.

GT350 deuce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 FJG; 2020 GT350 Heritage
Alright, this may take a bit to explain. I'll try and cut out unnecessary details.

Back in February, I had noticed a small drip leak coming from my diff. I took it into Ford, and they determined that the an adapter (DR3Z-6K741-A) on the rear diff cooler was faulty, and replaced.

Fast forward to May, the leak started happening again. I took it back to Ford, and this time, they determined that the same adapter had to be replaced, but also the rear axle cooling tube assembly (FR3Z-4C159-B). They got the adapter in, but the tube assembly was delayed several times. After delays of almost 2 weeks and my car sitting up there, it turns out this tube assembly is on a national back order, and not available from Ford at the moment, period.

It's now June 3rd, and the ETA is July 1st for Ford to have this part available and ready to ship. At this point, I asked the service manager if I could take my car back, and have them let me know when the part arrives. He said that was fine, and I took my car home and parked it. I haven't driven it since.

So now we're in the present. This past Tuesday, I asked the service manager for an update on the tube assembly. Ford's ETA has now been pushed back to end of July. I'm in shock now! I asked the service manager if I could find the part, buy it, and bring it to them, that they would complete the repair. He said that was fine. I've looked this week online and purchased one from eBay, and one from Tascaparts. The eBay one just got cancelled, and I'm not holding my breath that Tasca actually has it in stock (waiting on confirmation from them).

So now guys, I have a few questions:

1. Has anybody had this same issue with their rear diff cooler before?
2. Does anybody know WHERE/IF I can find this part?
3. Is there a solid aftermarket option available? (the service manager said this would be fine too)
4. If I can't find this part, and I really do have to wait until at least end of July to get it, is there a temporary solution that will safely let me drive my car?

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thanks for reading. I'm desperate at this point. I got my car right at the end of last year and couldn't have been happier. It kills me to just have her sitting in the garage collecting dust right now.
Did the tube assembly fix the issue?

they replaced the first item noted, still leaks. dealership just ordered the 4C159-B today (in stock fortunately).

wondering if this will solve my leak issue?

and thanks for providing the part numbers
Sponsored