Sponsored

Need some help. Enclosed trailer tie down solutions.

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
I would like to know how those of you who plan to take your car to the track plan to tie it down in the trailer? And how are you going to get it in the trailer? This is what I've found out so far. Ford made no provision for a tow hook in the front...or back for that matter. I would NOT drive mine on as the clearances are just too tight. My only solution is to make up the Y strap illustrated in the manual and use that to winch it in. Also need that in the trunk for street driving in case you need to be flat bed towed. Not sure the wreckers would have that.

Now for tying it down inside the trailer. How are you going to do that? I don't have E track and don't want to install it if I don't have to. If I had it I would use wheel nets over the tires. What I have come up with so far is to run 36" axle straps through a wheel spoke and back out and go around the outside of the tire and see if I can clear the front splitter. I haven't tried this yet so I don't know if it will clear all the bodywork. Hopefully it will. Wanted to know if anyone has done this and how it all worked out?:shrug:
Sponsored

OP
OP
shelbyman

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Just use tie down straps through the wheels and trailer's D-hooks. Cross straps both at the front and back. Some members have already done it that way and i will be too.

R1Jester

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.r1jester.com
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Just use tie down straps through the wheels and trailer's D-hooks. Cross straps both at the front and back. Some members have already done it that way and i will be too.
This.

Check out some of the older trailer threads and see my pictures, I used straps on the wheels and crossed to the D rings on the floor. Car didn't move an inch, 300 miles of some bumpy Chicagoland roads too .
In all honesty, with the clearance in the trailer I don't know if I could have tied it down any other way.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R
Well I think when you check out your clearances using those straps you'll find out they won't clear your splitter. I would use them to IF they cleared. The Vette in the add is much higher in the front and way higher in the rear than the GT 350's. Good luck with it.
If they clear a C7 Z06, the R won't be a problem.

OP
OP
shelbyman

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
This.

Check out some of the older trailer threads and see my pictures, I used straps on the wheels and crossed to the D rings on the floor. Car didn't move an inch, 300 miles of some bumpy Chicagoland roads too .
In all honesty, with the clearance in the trailer I don't know if I could have tied it down any other way.

2b054d2de7a3f30b2d8b050ada4cc98a?AccessKeyId=AC4338EEF591850B2667&disposition=0&alloworigin=1.jpg

9d29355d2433f659903633495baeb7d2?AccessKeyId=AC4338EEF591850B2667&disposition=0&alloworigin=1.jpg
Great pics and thanks for them. I didn't see this till just today. Very interesting crossing the straps on the front to eliminate the splitter clearance issue. I think I can go straight out in back and clear...and if not I can cross mine like you did.

Question for you...how much clearance did you have on each side getting past your trailer wheel boxes? I know it would be very tight on my trailer. Ohhh one more...how did you get the car in the trailer...winch or drive? Thanks so much.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
I just came across these 20" fleece sleeves for 2" straps and 40" wheel tie down straps (they look like really long axle straps). Got a set of four from Summit.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
When I saw the first pic, I thought I was staring at the ass end of a very exotic car, wife pointed out it was the bumper area where license plate mounts. Damn, these cars are sexy.

Sponsored

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Use the search function. E track with over the tire straps is the best setup. AutohaulerSupply.com. Super easy!

Strapping to spokes works until you hit something and then your suspension will bend.

OP
OP
shelbyman

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
Use the search function. E track with over the tire straps is the best setup. AutohaulerSupply.com. Super easy!

Strapping to spokes works until you hit something and then your suspension will bend.
Have you actually seen a bent suspension because of crossing the tie down straps? Its not my preferred way to do it...I prefer to go straight forward and straight back but that at times is hard to get set up. Some of my friends use cross tying and have never bent anything. So I was curious at to why you say this? :shrug: I would agree with you that E track is great but its not an easy install in a trailer without it.

OP
OP
shelbyman

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
I watched the install video on these as I was curious about them and if they would work for me. After watching it I have no idea how I would actually hook the tie down straps onto the hooks once the car was in the trailer. I'm not 18 and 6' 175lb and have all kinds of flexibility anymore. The cars are just so low now if you don't have access from below to hook the straps on to those hooks I don't think I could reach them. :shrug:

HR213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Grabber Blue, black roof
I watched the install video on these as I was curious about them and if they would work for me. After watching it I have no idea how I would actually hook the tie down straps onto the hooks once the car was in the trailer. I'm not 18 and 6' 175lb and have all kinds of flexibility anymore. The cars are just so low now if you don't have access from below to hook the straps on to those hooks I don't think I could reach them. :shrug:
I agree, it's going to be challenging.
Sponsored