Need instructions for repair

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
After finding out how much Ford is charging for parts and labor for a valve cover gasket ($900) I’m going to do it myself.

Does anyone know where I can find instructions/ step by step on this repair? I found a repair guide on the forum for a 2017 but not sure if it’s the same for a 2018 due to one being a gen 2 vs gen 3.
Sponsored

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
As far as I know, the valve cover is one piece with the gasket built in. Unbolt install new cover, torque to spec.

Perhaps someone else will chime in, but thats all it is. Should not be but a 30 min job

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Screenshot_20230315_064653_Chrome.jpg

They sell just the gaskets so I doubt you have to buy covers to change them, especially on a car that's only 4 years old

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
As far as I know, the valve cover is one piece with the gasket built in. Unbolt install new cover, torque to spec.

Perhaps someone else will chime in, but thats all it is. Should not be but a 30 min job
Definitely not a 30 min job, on a gen 3 there are alot of things in the way to pull the cover, also some bolts are a pain to reach in the rear.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Not sure if the high pressure fuel pump has to be removed to replace the cover but if so, that will be the hardest part. At the very least I'd imagine you'll have to disconnect the fuel lines.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE

This would seem to indicate otherwise. It looks like you get the gasket and bolts when you order a valve cover but they are separate pieces.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-valve-cover-passenger-side-rh-jr3z6582a
On other aftermarket sites the gaskets alone run about $45.
As for labor time! IDK. The valve cover r&r itself is not a difficult task. How much has to be moved/removed and replaced would be the time consuming part.
I don't have the 5.0 but looking at my EB I'd estimate that it would take me, a fairly experienced and equipped DIYer, a couple of hours to do without rushing.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Get the Ford (Helm) service manual. Without it this job is likely to not turn out well (in my experience).

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
After finding out how much Ford is charging for parts and labor for a valve cover gasket ($900) I’m going to do it myself.

Does anyone know where I can find instructions/ step by step on this repair? I found a repair guide on the forum for a 2017 but not sure if it’s the same for a 2018 due to one being a gen 2 vs gen 3.
You can purchase the FSM (factory service manual) online. I don't remember the site I bought mine but I sent them my VIN and they sent the manual with my vehicle specific information as a download via email. I believe the cost was in the $100 usd range.
I don't know how well equipped you are but it sounds like you will need at least a basic socket set, probably some open/box wrenches, basic hand tools (pliers, screwdrivers, etc and some specialized tools like a torque wrench and possibly fuel line release tools and possibly others.

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Not sure if the high pressure fuel pump has to be removed to replace the cover but if so, that will be the hardest part. At the very least I'd imagine you'll have to disconnect the fuel lines.
It does have to come out. It’ll take me some time

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Definitely not a 30 min job, on a gen 3 there are alot of things in the way to pull the cover, also some bolts are a pain to reach in the rear.
YouTube said it’s a quick n easy job 😅 Im kidding! Im ready to work on this for 8 hours! It’ll also teach me a lot along the way.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You can purchase the FSM (factory service manual) online. I don't remember the site I bought mine but I sent them my VIN and they sent the manual with my vehicle specific information as a download via email. I believe the cost was in the $100 usd range.
I don't know how well equipped you are but it sounds like you will need at least a basic socket set, probably some open/box wrenches, basic hand tools (pliers, screwdrivers, etc and some specialized tools like a torque wrench and possibly fuel line release tools and possibly others.
I have all the necessary tools! I have many hours of experience in driveway repairs!

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
I forget about that on gen 3. I actually went out popped the hood on my gen 2 and thought "thats simple" but I do have a gen 2 not a 3

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I have all the necessary tools! I have many hours of experience in driveway repairs!
Your valve cover removal & repair would be a valuable asset to the forums if you could find the time to take pictures and document it along the way. I would be very interested in seeing how it's done.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
It does have to come out. It’ll take me some time
I'd try to find directions on replacing the pump then if you can find anything on the valve covers. Other than that everything should be pretty straight forward.

Gfswindle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10
Having had both my VC's off in the past, the easiest way to reach all bolts and remove the passenger side VC is to remove the battery/battery tray and the cowling brace. The HPFP isn't difficult and all you have to do is bend the HP fuel line up and back a little bit, not much though - don't want to kink it.
Sponsored