Sponsored

Hood corrosion repair approved by Ford....

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I took my car to the dealer just before the 3yr/36k warranty ran out. The car had bubbling on the edges of the hood, so they took a picture and sent it to Ford for approval. I called a few weeks later and they said Ford had approved the fix and told me to call back to schedule an appointment. When I called back they said to call their body shop since they don't have one at the dealer. While on the phone I asked if the new hood came in yet, the guy seemed confused and said they just fix the spot on the hood with the paint bubbling. I thought the whole approval thing from Ford meant a new hood? Not sure a temporary repair. Is this normal or are the hoods always replaced?
Sponsored

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
Why would you expect them to replace the whole hood? It's not like the rust put a hole through your hood. It's just surface rust. They will just sand it down, put some rust stop primer/ bondo and repaint the affected area.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I took my car to the dealer just before the 3yr/36k warranty ran out. The car had bubbling on the edges of the hood, so they took a picture and sent it to Ford for approval. I called a few weeks later and they said Ford had approved the fix and told me to call back to schedule an appointment. When I called back they said to call their body shop since they don't have one at the dealer. While on the phone I asked if the new hood came in yet, the guy seemed confused and said they just fix the spot on the hood with the paint bubbling. I thought the whole approval thing from Ford meant a new hood? Not sure a temporary repair. Is this normal or are the hoods always replaced?

If you have a 2016 as your ID implies, the revised Ford TSB states that if corrosion is found, the panel is to be replaced. This applies to all 2016+ S550’s.

I have not seen a revised TSB reverting that information.

So take the TSB from here, print it and show it to your Dealer. They and their contracted Body shop are misinformed, there should not be a “buff-n-scuff”, they need to order a new panel from Ford per their TSB if your fix was approved by Ford.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tsb-19-2026-aluminum-panel-corrosion.117031/

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
If you have a 2016 as your ID implies, the revised Ford TSB states that if corrosion is found, the panel is to be replaced. This applies to all 2016+ S550’s.

So take the TSB from here, print it and show it to your Dealer. They and their contracted Body shop are misinformed, there should not be a “buff-n-scuff”, they need to order a new panel from Ford per their TSB if your fix was approved by Ford.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tsb-19-2026-aluminum-panel-corrosion.117031/
Good to know

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thank you! That's what I figured. I'm already getting spots on the other side of the hood, so fixing that one spot won't do anything if it keeps happening all over the hood.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Thank you! That's what I figured. I'm already getting spots on the other side of the hood, so fixing that one spot won't do anything if it keeps happening all over the hood.
Why wait if a new revised hood awaits you under warranty?
Take it in

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
And that's probably why the Ford TSB says to replace the hood. Doing a spot repair is just a temporary fix.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And that's probably why the Ford TSB says to replace the hood. Doing a spot repair is just a temporary fix.
Yeah, I really need to find a new dealer. I tried to tell them that and they acted like it would be crazy to replace the hood vs. just repairing it. Then again, I took the car in for a clicking throttle body and messed up puddle light and was told that the obvious throttle body click is actually "the common" coyote tick (it's definitely not) and the puddle lamp needed approval from Ford, which they never even got back to me on. It's like a $30 part with a 2 minute install. Now my warranty if up and I still have a messed up puddle light, hood bubbles, and a clicking throttle body.

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Cobra Jet is correct^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had the "bubbling" issue on my hood and opted to go with a replacement after market hood basically because I plan on keeping the car.
Just concerned that another "FORD" hood will do the same thing.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Mine has the same thing along the leading edge - taking in next week for oil change and will take the tsb with me to have them review. FYI this is covered under a different warranty than the 3/36 - its actually a 5yr/unlimited mileage for panel rust/perforation, so even if you are past your 3/36 take it in and make them fix it.

Sponsored

FatPat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I've got some bubbling in a few places, so I'm bringing my car to the dealer today. Not too optimistic, but hopefully they give me a new hood!

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
A guy where I work has the same problem with his 2016 right now. I believe that the dealer said the body shop is going to replace the whole hood.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I've got some bubbling in a few places, so I'm bringing my car to the dealer today. Not too optimistic, but hopefully they give me a new hood!
You have a 2015, which Ford will not honor the corrosion warranty on unless the panel is perforated all the way through. Ford changed the corrosion warranty language starting with the 2016 model year.

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
GT Pony is correct. Ford will not replace your hood unless there is perforation (holes). Even then, they'd probably give you a hard time. Ford
changed the warranty for the 2016 and newer Mustangs, removing the 'perforation' reference.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
GT Pony is correct. Ford will not replace your hood unless there is perforation (holes). Even then, they'd probably give you a hard time. Ford
changed the warranty for the 2016 and newer Mustangs, removing the 'perforation' reference.
They gave me the same runaround on my 2015, telling me they wouldn't fix it because I had just passed 36,000 miles. I asked about the corrosion warranty, and they said it had to be perforated. The dealership was trying to help however they could, but Ford Warranty department people are savages. I still have a janky hood.
Sponsored