Sponsored

Need help with adding octane to my fuel.

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
So, I am currently planning a 800whp build and the path I am leaning to is turbos or a procharger. The reason for these two choices only is because they are able to do map switching which I want for a daily map and a "kil" map. This will be done to a 2018+ GT. Im thinking 1000cc injectors, Fore Innovations L1 dual wally fuel pumps. Head unit for the procharger would either be a D1X or a P1X not sure yet. For spark, I have not researched this yet and am not sure if I even need new spark plugs. Fuel rails I need guidance on as I do not know if the stock ones are good for this. Now the big issue, I live in Canada and unfortunately we do not have e85 here. This leaves me with a couple options; import 30 gallon drums for 200 CAD, Boostane 5 Gal pail for 400 USD, or meth/water injection. I was originally going to import the 30 gal drum of e85 and do like a e60 or e70 blend but I spoke with Lund and they only tune for straight e85 or pump gas which is a bummer. Since I plan for this to be my daily, filling up on pure e85 when I want my kill tune would be a hassle since I would need to completely drain my tank of pump gas. If I were able to do a blend it would be way more convenient. They also rejected my idea of meth/water injection since they fail apparently. I am kinda stuck now and am not sure who to go to or what to do to get this sorted out, feels like I have hit a wall. Some insight would be appreciated.
Sponsored

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
You will blow through the E85 like nothing. You could be close to your goal on 93. I run 93 and add boostane at every fill up just to be safe.

OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
You will blow through the E85 like nothing. You could be close to your goal on 93. I run 93 and add boostane at every fill up just to be safe.
Yea, my issue with boostane is the cost, its quite alot but not as much as e85 I think? If I am roughly doing my math correctly in my head lol. What about water meth?

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
water meth is fine but Lund is right it can fail so you probably shouldn't rely on it. E85 is always going to be the best method. if you really wanna use pump gas I would lower your power goal to 750 and use half a can (16oz) of boostane every tank and it should be plenty happy at that power level

OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
water meth is fine but Lund is right it can fail so you probably shouldn't rely on it. E85 is always going to be the best method. if you really wanna use pump gas I would lower your power goal to 750 and use half a can (16oz) of boostane every tank and it should be plenty happy at that power level
I really dont wanna lower my goal, its been like that for ages lol. I plan to daily on a 93 tune and only turn it up when I want to. Can't I use boostane to match the octane of e85 which is 107-109?

Sponsored

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
I really dont wanna lower my goal, its been like that for ages lol. I plan to daily on a 93 tune and only turn it up when I want to. Can't I use boostane to match the octane of e85 which is 107-109?
yes but keep in mind its not going to be as safe as E even if octane is the same. also to make octane that high you need quite a bit of boostane.

OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
yes but keep in mind its not going to be as safe as E even if octane is the same. also to make octane that high you need quite a bit of boostane.
I can add meth for the cooling effect not for added octane and then let the boostane do the added octane. If I have a full tank of 93 I need 340oz of boostane to get it up to 109 oct according to their calculator. This also scales with the amount of gas already in the tank so... How could I actually hit my goal?

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
I can add meth for the cooling effect not for added octane and then let the boostane do the added octane. If I have a full tank of 93 I need 340oz of boostane to get it up to 109 oct according to their calculator. This also scales with the amount of gas already in the tank so... How could I actually hit my goal?
you don't need 109 octane to make 800hp you would probably be okay with 98-100 octane so the amount needed should be more reasonable if you don't have access to E. just know even with meth it is not going to be as safe as E and since you are doing a fuel system if it was me I would probably just keep a drum of E in my garage for when I want to party. but I don't know how hard it would be to get E85 delivered where you live.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
I would pass on the Meth.... I know first hand. You cant rely on that for octane. I did on my ecoboost flex, pump failed n turned my block into swiss cheese. My fault for tuning it too hot on the meth. I buy the six pack of 32oz boostane from amazon and just add a 1/4 bottle to each fill up just incase the 93 is poop. I would assume I am 740 to 760 at the wheels. Havent been able to dyno yet but it rips.

OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
I would pass on the Meth.... I know first hand. You cant rely on that for octane. I did on my ecoboost flex, pump failed n turned my block into swiss cheese. My fault for tuning it too hot on the meth. I buy the six pack of 32oz boostane from amazon and just add a 1/4 bottle to each fill up just incase the 93 is poop. I would assume I am 740 to 760 at the wheels. Havent been able to dyno yet but it rips.
In the vette world they use meth alot instead of e85, why don't we see that on mustangs? If its because they fail, why do they fail and why has there not been a good one hit the market? I could just add boostane until my 93 is good for 800 right? Then only run 93 on my daily boost map.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
you don't need 109 octane to make 800hp you would probably be okay with 98-100 octane so the amount needed should be more reasonable if you don't have access to E. just know even with meth it is not going to be as safe as E and since you are doing a fuel system if it was me I would probably just keep a drum of E in my garage for when I want to party. but I don't know how hard it would be to get E85 delivered where you live.
Its not that its difficult to import the e85, its just the unavailability of ethanol blends for this platform. its either all e85 or none. Unless you suggest a easier idea but the only way is to drain my tank of my pump gas then put e85 in which is only 30 gal drums for 200 cad. I will see if I can get any bigger drums but it just doesnt seem worth the hassle. Unless theres a way to somehow bleed the tank and save that pump gas otherwise its just wasting money and effort to completely drain my tank for some e85. Just not practical. I guess 100 octane would be enough thats why I was suggesting a ethanol blend. Meth would have been nice to have though provided I do it properly and even then it seems that you guys are saying they fail which is quite unfortunate as I like the idea of it being sprayed to increase octane and cool IAT's. I wish there were more options for people like me on this platform. Feels so restricted to e85 but im just one person.

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
btw when a tuner like Lund says its an e85 tune its normally safe to like e70 or so there is always going to be wiggle room because unless you test every time you don't really know the E percentage. also I don't know why Lund doesn't but here in AZ e54 is more common so most people out here are tuned for that I think I saw on PBD website they will tune e54

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I ran water methanol injection as my source of octane for two years before e85 became available to me. To prevent a failure from ever becoming a possibility I ran 2 pumps. This way if one ever did fail I would not have any problems. I started with a single nozzle and eventually went direct port. Direct port water meth is the best way but I never had any problems with a nozzle setup. I would run water meth with 2 nozzles and 2 pumps if I was you

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
btw when a tuner like Lund says its an e85 tune its normally safe to like e70 or so there is always going to be wiggle room because unless you test every time you don't really know the E percentage. also I don't know why Lund doesn't but here in AZ e54 is more common so most people out here are tuned for that I think I saw on PBD website they will tune e54
Lund does an e54r tune NA at least one of the other local Phx guys run that but not for boost that I'm aware of. Liability I'm sure. There's very few high quality e options in the area and only one in proximity to my area that tests e85-90 regularly. Regardless, there are definitely regional based obstacles for fueling like what OP is encountering. It's going to end up being some blending / additives / ordering in addition to local pump.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Boostane works, and works VERY well.... (Torco as well).
Sponsored