Need help removing gt350R splitter

wldtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Need some help getting my gt350R splitter off.

I have all of the bolts off. But cant figure out how to get the plastic tabs to release from the bumper. There are 8 of them. I dont Want to damage the splitter nor bumper.

is there a special tool to get the tabs to release? Any one have the ford instructions for removal?
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Need some help getting my gt350R splitter off.

I have all of the bolts off. But cant figure out how to get the plastic tabs to release from the bumper. There are 8 of them. I dont Want to damage the splitter nor bumper.

is there a special tool to get the tabs to release? Any one have the ford instructions for removal?
Did you remove the half moon clips also (one on each end.)?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
ā€˜yes. I removed the 4 of them. Unless there is more
Itā€™s been a few months since I replaced my splitter, but Iā€™m pretty sure there are only two half moon clips made of white plastic. Theyā€™re only accessible by removing the lower front part of the inner fender liners.

My next guess would be the two forward angled bolts accessible from underneath, near the middle. Iā€™ve heard of people forgetting about those.

Just curious, did you reference any of the videos online for splitter removal or install? There are some good ones out there and definitely worth a watch if you havenā€™t already.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Doesn't installation involve a hammer? Makes sense that removal would require some sort of large pry bar or maybe a chisel....:giggle:

Sponsored

OP
OP

wldtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Itā€™s been a few months since I replaced my splitter, but Iā€™m pretty sure there are only two half moon clips made of white plastic. Theyā€™re only accessible by removing the lower front part of the inner fender liners.

My next guess would be the two forward angled bolts accessible from underneath, near the middle. Iā€™ve heard of people forgetting about those.

Just curious, did you reference any of the videos online for splitter removal or install? There are some good ones out there and definitely worth a watch if you havenā€™t already.
i referenced the installation instructions for the new one and watched the ford videos for install. It does show using a rubber mallet to help push in the splitter so the tabs grab the bumper

but I canā€™t find any good videos showing how to remove it

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Isn't all of this on Youtube?

OP
OP

wldtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Isn't all of this on Youtube?
maybe some of you are more wavy on your search button. I can find plenty of install videos. Not so much on the removal as it relates to the unlocking the plastic tabs

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
In the past, I've had success in using some small strips of plastic cut from body filler spreaders (available at any autoparts store). They are very thin at one end and make great non-marring wedges. Push them into the slots where the tabs clip to the lower edge of the bumper cover to help release those, then gently tug at the splitter and it will come off (provided you've removed all of the clips and screws).

Sponsored
OP
OP

wldtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
In the past, I've had success in using some small strips of plastic cut from body filler spreaders (available at any autoparts store). They are very thin at one end and make great non-marring wedges. Push them into the slots where the tabs clip to the lower edge of the bumper cover to help release those, then gently tug at the splitter and it will come off (provided you've removed all of the clips and screws).
thanks I will look into some plastic strips

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
this is the video ford references for install

I referenced a few different videos when I did mine the first time. Going back to earlierā€¦. Are you sure you removed the 2 half moon clips? You mentioned you removed all 4, which means you might be thinking of something else. If those clips are in place, the splitter wonā€™t budge. I donā€™t remember meeting a ton of resistance in regards to the clips. They shouldnā€™t take much more than a gentle push from a piece of plastic of flathead screwdriver.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
FWIW, they are really on there. The tabs referenced above that engage when installing w/ rubber mallet, they also make it difficult to pull off. I initially ran the non R splitter on my 16 and when I decided to install the R version, removing the non R was tough - and when it finally released, I was really pulling hard.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
this is the video ford references for install

Now that I think about it more, didnā€™t the 19-20ā€™s only have 2 moon clips and the 15-18ā€™s have 4? Maybe thatā€™s what Iā€™m thinking aboutā€¦..

I need more coffee. . .
Sponsored