Sponsored

Help! 2020 Mustang GT tick and rpm needle skip

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Hi fellow 5.0 enthusiasts, my rpm needle jumps from 1500-1750 RPM when accelerating in 1st and 2nd gear (I've never seen this or heard of this before)

I don't know if it's an issue with the rpm gauge needle, an actual issue in the pistons, and/or directly related to the engine tick. My engine also thumps/knocks on idle when it gets warm.

Best way to describe it; when accelerating fast the rpm needle goes up smoothly in one motion, but anytime I accelerate slowly the needle skips very quickly from 1500-1750 rpm (always in that range where the tick also happens 🤔)

I'm pretty disappointed the tick is still here in the 2020 GTs and the RPM needle skipping is concerning... anyone know if this is common and not something to worry about?

How do I go about getting the rpm thing and engine tick diagnosed at the dealership?

Do I have to pay for diagnostic fee if there is no engine issue found? I hear that the fee is waived ONLY if there is a problem found that has to be fixed under warranty...

Typewriter tick started after 1st oil change like many

Car was purchased new, 2020 mustang gt MT @ 8k miles

Here is a clip of my engine tick/thumping, the thumping/knocking noise is VERY concerning because it's there on top of the tick
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Do you hear the engine speeding up? Or is the needle just moving?
I hear it speeding up and the needle always jumps in that range. Only at 1500rpm to 1700 ish.

Mad Horse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2018 Explorer Sport, 2013 Fusion
The ticking sounds typical. The thumping would concern me however.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Sounds nearly identical to mine (see below). Many report that using Ceratec can reduce/eliminate it. I haven't tried yet. Ford says it's "normal" and should _not_ be fixed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Sounds nearly identical to mine (see below). Many report that using Ceratec can reduce/eliminate it. I haven't tried yet. Ford says it's "normal" and should _not_ be fixed.

Does yours have that thumping too like mine? If you listen closely to my video it has the tick + a thump. If you have the slight thump too I think I'd feel a bit better :)

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Does yours have that thumping too like mine? If you listen closely to my video it has the tick + a thump. If you have the slight thump too I think I'd feel a bit better :)
It does sound almost identical to mine. The thump/tick is loud enough where I can hear it from inside the car. Did you go to a dealership and have anyone listen to it or address it?

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd

Does your rpm needle skip slightly at low rpm in 1st gear? Around 1500rpm to 1750rpm?

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I think mine sounds really similar to what you posted.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Both of those videos sound pretty much the same, so guess it sounds louder because you guys recorded the noise right at the engine, where it sounds more subdued with the hood closed. Sounds nasty up close though. But since it's exactly what Ford says it's normal, the only cure is an additive like 'Ceratec'. I don't buy that noise has no effect on engine durability, but it's probably not that detrimental. If my car develops it, being so 'anal', I'd probably get rid of it. Bracing for the 2nd oil change, and see what happens. But the main hurdle was the first, and still sounding quite healthy. Zero noises, even at start-up after weeks of not getting use. I guess the M1 0/30 oil helps to lubricate the engine quickly upon start-up.

Sponsored

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Both of those videos sound pretty much the same, so guess it sounds louder because you guys recorded the noise right at the engine, where it sounds more subdued with the hood closed. Sounds nasty up close though. But since it's exactly what Ford says it's normal, the only cure is an additive like 'Ceratec'. I don't buy that noise has no effect on engine durability, but it's probably not that detrimental. If my car develops it, being so 'anal', I'd probably get rid of it. Bracing for the 2nd oil change, and see what happens. But the main hurdle was the first, and still sounding quite healthy. Zero noises, even at start-up after weeks of not getting use. I guess the M1 0/30 oil helps to lubricate the engine quickly upon start-up.
Note that this noise is when the engine is _warm_ and idling. After a lot of research, it appears that it manifests when the oil pressure gets _really_ low once the oil is warmed up and then the RPMs at idle are really low.

Mine sounds perfectly fine on startup too...

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
My brand new 2013 GT with TP had the tick. It would come and go at times. I‘ve also heard it intermittently on the Bullitt. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Note that this noise is when the engine is _warm_ and idling.
Yep, the 'tick' is only when engine is at operating temperature, and at very low rpm (typically below 1K rpm). And yes, oil pressure is quite low at the 600+ rpm idle IMO, which is artificially set by the ECU. Not sure how exactly it's controlled, but I think the device is close to the oil filter. Does anybody have a link on the system Ford uses to vary oil pressure? Thx.
Sponsored