Sponsored

Mustang Shelby GT500 will produce 760 horsepower and 625 lb-ft of torque

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Pointless excess is the whole point.

I guess there really are a zillion people who don't understand that torque is the actual motive force and HP is just an expression of work per unit of time. I could see Ford pulling an HPO out of the hat with very, very carefully balanced crank, Ti cryo-forged rods and exotic slipper pistons. That takes care of the ability to spin the assembly say another 700-1000 rpm higher than the standard engine. The next trick is can they get cams and valves to work well enough to get good charge and burn.

Then again, anything much over 500HP in a street car (hell 300HP) is flirting with pointless excess.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
can't wait to hurt feelings of one of these with my whipple 5.0

I gotta say, I'm disappointing the first number doesn't start with an 8. It's really a shame.
Yeah... I am going to go out on a limb and say your Whipple 5.0 just might get it’s own feelings hurt.

Then a tuned GT500 will be a nightmare. With the fuel delivery, the 500 is going to tune very nicely.

then there are pulley swaps, etc.

And the DCT will be hell to fight against.

It just seems that Ford really put together a bit of a dream car here. Even modded cars are going to have a hard time with it.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I think Ford waited until the 755 LT5 to come out and the upped it. I am sure if it would have come out sooner it would have been around 740hp and then in the next year it would have gone to 760.

Ford was smart. It will be the top dog now for a bit until everyone catches up.
I beleive Ford left some room for last minute shenanigans from the competition. There is “likely” still room for some easy power of they need to. I’m guessing a very safe tune as it stands right now.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The only reason I mentioned a FI GT350 is they are dipping into 45k-48kish used prices and the Voodoo engine is truely something special.

That and the whole ADM thing pisses me off but thats for another day.
It's only special because of it's flat plane crank and it's high NA horsepower. As soon as you throw a blower on it, you might as well have a regular coyote. Hell, a coyote is probably more reliable FI than the voodoo.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
2020 Mercedes-AMG E63 S 604hp/4.0l = 151HP/L

The Ferrari Portofino is 592HP/3.9L = 151 HP/L.

The Ferrari 488 GTB is 660HP/3.9L = 169HP/L.

The McLaren 720S is 710HP/4.0L = 177HP/L

Are they talking about American only?
Those are all turbo engines lol

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Im still surprised the 6th gen hasnt got a Z28 yet..........
Bad sales have hurt there high performance models. Even though it’s the Camaro if the car is selling like shit, Chevy isn’t going to do much with it

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I guess there really are a zillion people who don't understand that torque is the actual motive force and HP is just an expression of work per unit of time. I could see Ford pulling an HPO out of the hat with very, very carefully balanced crank, Ti cryo-forged rods and exotic slipper pistons. That takes care of the ability to spin the assembly say another 700-1000 rpm higher than the standard engine. The next trick is can they get cams and valves to work well enough to get good charge and burn.

Then again, anything much over 500HP in a street car (hell 300HP) is flirting with pointless excess.
IMO the best way to think about HP is this: HP is a measurement of how much torque you can extract from a motor through GEARING. That's why 1/4 mile calculators always use HP to determine how fast a car will be. You will never see a 1/4 mile calculator that uses torque, because engine torque is largely meaningless if you are trying to figure out how fast a car will be.

I agree that once you get over 500 HP on the street you are flirting with pointless excess. Most of that capability will only be fully utilized on a track.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I beleive Ford left some room for last minute shenanigans from the competition. There is “likely” still room for some easy power of they need to. I’m guessing a very safe tune as it stands right now.
For sure. There is more room, but the 755 LT5 just made Ford show their hand a little sooner. That's ok, there is more to come. They will have to tickle the 797 HP Mopar BlackEye.

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
All, Just remember how testing, marketing, and R&D works. Make the best product, take away a bit, and offer it in the refresh. They want you to trade in 2 years for the new 780HP version with 34 new badges and a cobra lamp that illuminates the sky like the bat signal.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

300??? BS. My Tacoma has almost 300hp. 300HP ain't shit.
Sponsored