Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
tell me how are these two different in any meaningful way?
2020-Ford-Escape-5.jpg

vs
Fstatic.carsdn.co%2Fcldstatic%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F02-mazda-cx-5-2019-exterior--profile--red.jpg

vs
all-new-mustang-mach-e-4-1500x1002.jpg

Top is 2020 Escape that comes in Hybrid trim. The middle is the CX5 and last abomination known as the Mach-E. I mean come on, there's not a lick of difference between them.

This from a multi-line CUV comparo
the 2020 Ford Escape is in the hunt but fails to stand out. ... might be compelling enough to spruce up the sales numbers of what was once the most popular compact SUV in America.
So in a panic Ford marketing said "lets lower the roof line into an arc and throw some Mustang visual cues at it and instead of being yet another dog, it might, maybe get some sales if we make it full electric. I expect both cars will sell poorly. The people who buy Tesla don't want a johnny-come-lately electrical SUV from stodgy, unimaginative Ford - the only sign of life being the Mustang lineup. Should have it called the Escape Sport-E.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
2020-Ford-Escape-5.jpg

vs

They took the Escape, squashed it, sloped it and elongated it... ala MACH-E(scape)

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Seems like he needs to go back to school for proper grammar... did he REALLY release a statement like that? Holy hell...
No, that is a statement style, so that others can not take it out of context, or just use a few sentences. His statement is quite clear and no mistaken what he is saying.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Well, here’s your MACH-E fellas.... enjoy that 2020 FORD ESCAPE that is being rebadged as an EV “Mustang”...

LMFAO.... a $60k+ Ford MACHEscap-E

:crackup::cwl::crackup::cwl::crackup::cwl::crackup::cwl:
6EFE7AF1-C80F-497B-AFF0-0B839BD8B37A.jpeg
9D76AC30-34B6-481D-96C8-5D4D439DEC9C.jpeg
7930CF2B-CCA1-47DC-B3F7-A5FBB737C2A0.jpeg
98934F0B-D000-40CC-9DB5-253CFA6F150B.jpeg

I want an Escape GT....!

Honestly, give me that.... w/RS engine and ISG torque, fat wheels and magneride.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Wow very sensitive folks here... not saying I love the Mach e but the technology sure is cool. Calling it a mustang? Marketing, nothing more. Plus the advertised performance numbers are mustang worthy.

Bottom line who cares?? Doesn’t change a thing with how great my bullitt is. anybody that would sell their mustang because of this car is out of their mind.

This is the future. These e cars will be running circles around anything with a gas engine in 10 years or less. And you likely won’t be able to even buy a gas engine by then. All the more reason to keep your car. End of an era.
but gas engine cars run circles around cars from 10 years ago. So that’s just progress, electric or not. And if ford wanted to, they could easily create an EcoBoost twin turbo v8 with all wheel drive that destroys the electrics.

bottom line is a LOT of people care. Just look at this thread alone. The electric suv is nice. But it’s not a Mustang and shouldn’t be badged as one.

electric is definitely part of the MUSTANG future. But SUV shouldn’t ever be.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
No, that is a statement style, so that others can not take it out of context, or just use a few sentences. His statement is quite clear and no mistaken what he is saying.
The meaning is reasonably clear, but it really looks like he first wrote it one way, thought it could be worded a bit better another way, and didn't catch all of the places that needed editing. Either 'I did say' (consistent with 'I did not say') or 'I said' would have made it read a whole lot better. Closer to the way he'd have spoken it, for those who tend to get their information through videos.

As a 'statement style', it presents itself as uneducated.

Norm

Last edited:

BuckeyeBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Mustang 545cid, 2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Z/28, 2013 Charger 392

vs

Top is 2020 Escape that comes in Hybrid trim. The bottom is the abomination known as the Mach-E. I mean come on!
This from a multi-line CUV comparo

So in a panic Ford marketing said "lets lower the roof line into an arc and throw some Mustang visual cues at it and instead of being yet another dog, it might, maybe get some sales if we make it full electric. I expect both cars will sell poorly. The people who buy Tesla don't want a johnny-come-lately electrical SUV from stodgy, unimaginative Ford - the only sign of life being the Mustang lineup. Should have it called the Escape Sport-E.

This Mach-E needs to sway 2 usually brand loyal customer bases. Tesla buyers/owners who usualy buy for what they think is "cool" and a badge of honor or status symbol (and for completely opposite reasons that the traditional Mustang is a symbol of). And Honda CRV/Toyota RAV4 buyers/owners, who typically buy "Japanese" cars bc of the perceived reliability. I still just don't see how the name Mustang will attract those people, at all.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That is the Mustang influence.
A true Mustang influence would have taken it further. 'Squashed' at least two, maybe three inches more, and with a few inches more rear overhang.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Maybe, but in the current PC world we live in where virtually everything that’s said can be twisted and misconstrued, it’s a necessary evil.
I'm afraid I can't see how making yourself appear to be only marginally literate changes its chances of being taken out of context or otherwise "sampled". If anything, it casts doubt on the author's credibility, and from there the article itself loses something.

PC may have distorted how we need to phrase things, but being grammatically wrong isn't the way to accomplish that.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This Mach-E needs to sway 2 usually brand loyal customer bases. Tesla buyers/owners who usualy buy for what they think is "cool" and a badge of honor or status symbol (and for completely opposite reasons that the traditional Mustang is a symbol of). And Honda CRV/Toyota RAV4 buyers/owners, who typically buy "Japanese" cars bc of the perceived reliability. I still just don't see how the name Mustang will attract those people, at all.
This ^^^

If anything, people in those demographics tend to look down on traditional U.S. domestic nameplates. People do NOT look at a Mustang when utility is on their mind (even though the Mustang isn't quite as bad in that respect as its image tends to suggest).

Norm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I think pinning the Mustang name on the Mach E was done to attract those buyers that know and like Mustang but can't justify owning one because they are not practical enough to meet their needs. By adding some Mustang styling cues to a practical CUV and also offering a performance version, those potential customers might see their way towards buying one. Other buyers who just want a cool EV would care less what it was called. Ford probably recognized that they would p!$$ off a few Mustang diehards, but also rationalized that the "oil-in-the-veins, V8 'til I die" types would have never bought the EV CUV no matter what it was called. And since they would still be able to get the V8 rocket, no-harm, no-foul, right? So maybe they miscalculated that last part a tad bit.
Sponsored