Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

regular6g

Threads
Reaction score
I will continue to mock the Mach E till they (Ford) drop the Mustang from the name.

I keep thinking to myself....how dumb can they be?

I get sad just thinking about it.
Just think of it this way, the stronger Ford Motor Company is across the entire lineup, the more funds they'll have to keep our our beloved Coupe leading the pack of pony cars. If Ford isn't financially sound, none of their vehicles will be around.
Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Just think of it this way, the stronger Ford Motor Company is across the entire lineup, the more funds they'll have to keep our our beloved Coupe leading the pack of pony cars. If Ford isn't financially sound, none of their vehicles will be around.
You can think that if you want but all it does is dumb down the Ford name and the Mustang heritage.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
A definite stretch, methinks. More reasonable to think that most satisfied Mustang ponycar owners looking for a different type of vehicle will be predisposed to shop at Ford from the get-go, provided that Ford provides the kind of vehicle they're interested in. You'd be even less likely to attract those Mustang ponycar owners who have had a poor ownership experience.

Norm
If someone had a poor ownership experience with a Mustang, I highly doubt they would go buy any other model of Ford, regardless of the name.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
With this Merc offering and others coming, sure they are ICE or hybrids. Both the Escape and Escape Sport-E (aka Mach-E) are doomed IMO. The Sport-E asking price is nuts and the interiors of both are yuck. No amount of "I wanna identify as a Mustang" err "see Ford can ape Tesla, too, please love me" is going to save either turkey. I don't know what so-called "compliance" vehicle the new CEO supposedly ripped up, but clearly they just recycled the upcoming Escape into a plug-in only hybrid.

Memo to Ford. Nobody gives a damn about range anxiety if you just put a small genset in there too. Simplifies the engineering massively (which lowers costs a lot) and you get what amounts to a "zero" emissions vehicle where it counts - congestion riddled highways during rush hour or putting around town doing errands. 30 miles of pure electric is quite enough to spend the majority of it's time on battery. And for everything else, running the genset at maximal efficiency is not something to give 2 shits about.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
To us maybe, but others don't feel the same way and that's ok.
So are you comfortable with the prospect that ten, maybe fifteen years out into the future, the first image that comes to peoples' minds (including yours) when the word 'Mustang' is spoken . . . might well be an SUV?

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If someone had a poor ownership experience with a Mustang, I highly doubt they would go buy any other model of Ford, regardless of the name.
Maybe, maybe not. A good experience with, say, an F150 or some other of Ford's SUVs would likely provide a measure of balance, in which case any name other than Mustang would be better.

Norm

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
So are you comfortable with the prospect that ten, maybe fifteen years out into the future, the first image that comes to peoples' minds (including yours) when the word 'Mustang' is spoken . . . might well be an SUV?

Norm
Everyone image of the Mustang is different mine is a 1968 Mustang coupe in Candy Apple Red.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With this Merc offering and others coming, sure they are ICE or hybrids. Both the Escape and Escape Sport-E (aka Mach-E) are doomed IMO. The Sport-E asking price is nuts and the interiors of both are yuck. No amount of "I wanna identify as a Mustang" err "see Ford can ape Tesla, too, please love me" is going to save either turkey. I don't know what so-called "compliance" vehicle the new CEO supposedly ripped up, but clearly they just recycled the upcoming Escape into a plug-in only hybrid.
You keep calling the Mach E just a Escape that makes you look as dumb as all those people who called the S550 Mustang just a Fusion.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Everyone image of the Mustang is different mine is a 1968 Mustang coupe in Candy Apple Red.
Bet that image doesn't look a bit like a 1968 Bronco or a 1968 Explorer, though. And that's the kind of dilution/distortion of the Mustang name that we're now facing with this Mach E.

It's not about the fact that the 2020 ponycar Mustang won't look exactly like your '68 or my '08 or anybody's PP2.

Norm

Last edited:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Bet that image doesn't look a bit like a 1968 Bronco or a 1968 Explorer, though. And that's the kind of dilution/distortion of the Mustang name that we're now facing with this Mach E.

It's not about the fact that the 2020 ponycar Mustang won't look exactly like your '68 or my '08 or anybody's PP2.

Norm

Just think of this If Ford hadn't let us know a head of time that the Mach E was going to be called the Mach 1 the name of this EV would have been the Mustang Mach 1 !!!