Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
How does one charge an EV if they:
1) live in an apartment complex
2) live in a condo complex
3) live in a home that does not have a garage
4) are not located near a “charging station”
They can't. Or you park it overnight at some strip mall or dealership that does have a charger and walk/bicycle/bum back and forth. It's for the environment, surely a little sacrifice is in order.

But in true American fashion the correct answer is to sue the HOA/condo for being callous about global warming and demand they put in a set of chargers to accommodate their personal choices and to protect the stolen youth of uneducated Swedish eco-activist(s). What should happen is the person gets to pay a nice chunk of the installation cost, you know maybe $7500 toward that effort, up front. Instead of foisting the cost on everyone else in the compounds who could give a damn about EV and don't own one or was intelligent enough to buy a hybrid.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
While that’s all cool and everything - here’s a question I have not seen asked (and again I’m NOT against any EV vehicle):

I think the above is a legit question for someone who may want to buy an EV, but is also wondering the same - how would they charge it - especially an EV that is 100% reliant on a battery pack (ie: no secondary gasoline engine)...

Discuss....
As Shogun said, you don’t. Last year my daughter bought a Honda Clarity. It is a PHEV which she got a great price on. She lived in a garden apartment complex so charging was out of the question. She did charge on occasion when the opportunity arised but otherwise used it as a regular car. Now that she moved to Myrtle Beach and has her own house, it’s easy. Electric cars are not for everyone but then again neither are Mustang’s.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
While that’s all cool and everything - here’s a question I have not seen asked (and again I’m NOT against any EV vehicle):

I think the above is a legit question for someone who may want to buy an EV, but is also wondering the same - how would they charge it - especially an EV that is 100% reliant on a battery pack (ie: no secondary gasoline engine)...

Discuss....
The answer is really really simple. That person does not buy an EV. Period. It's why I keep saying that even though EVs will be a significant part of the automotive landscape, they will not replace ICE in our lifetimes. Right now my company is forecasting EVs to reach 10% of US market sometime after 2026. I really get a laugh out of people thinking that EVs are an all or nothing proposition. I laugh even harder at the prospect that there will only be autonomous vehicles and that it will suddenly become illegal to drive.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Discuss....
The answer is really really simple. That person does not buy an EV. Period. It's why I keep saying that even though EVs will be a significant part of the automotive landscape, they will not replace ICE in our lifetimes. Right now my company is forecasting EVs to reach 10% of US market sometime after 2026. I really get a laugh out of people thinking that EVs are an all or nothing proposition. I laugh even harder at the prospect that there will only be autonomous vehicles and that it will suddenly become illegal to drive.
Actually, I should also point out that Nissan is going all-in on a technology that they call e-Power. Technically, I would call e-Power a series hybrid (any hybrid you've ever seen in the US is a parallel hybrid), but since Nissan calls it an EV, we'll call it an EV. Here's the thing, e-Power vehicles do not have a plug. The wheels are powered by an electric motor. The electric motor is powered by an on-board generator. In this case, on-board generator is spelled "I-C-E". But the ICE has no physical connection to the axles and does not drive the wheels. Only the electric motor drives the wheels. In essence, think of it as a Chevrolet Volt without a plug. The only way to chare the battery and power the electric motor is by running the ICE. These are already very popular vehicles in Japan and will be coming to North America soon in the Nissan Versa Note and eventually several Nissan branded vehicles.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The wheels are powered by an electric motor. The electric motor is powered by an on-board generator.
seems like a sensible design. At least it simplifies and knocks down the high current charge/discharge problem into something more mundane. Tesla et. al. have to carry around a lot of extra weight and fancy battery management to achieve that sub-4 second time. If you make it a 8 or 9 second car that helps a lot. On a performance model they could have some capacitor packs for short bursts. That motor is probably something like a 3cyl 1000cc engine with probably 2 speed settings.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
seems like a sensible design. At least it simplifies and knocks down the high current charge/discharge problem into something more mundane. Tesla et. al. have to carry around a lot of extra weight and fancy battery management to achieve that sub-4 second time. If you make it a 8 or 9 second car that helps a lot. On a performance model they could have some capacitor packs for short bursts. That motor is probably something like a 3cyl 1000cc engine with probably 2 speed settings.
I think it's 1.2L or 1.3L. Over time there will be more displacements offered. Thing that puzzles me is that in areas that are really pushing EV, they are pushing it because of zero emissions. The e-Power setup is, by design, NOT zero emissions. Low emissions? Yes. Zero? nope.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)

Discuss....
I do not think the Mach E will be a lease. Therefore, people won't be owning something, they truly can't afford.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the japanese don't have garages. a very large percentage use on-street (down the street communal lots) or car port parking. The rest live in high rise apartments. The Japanese don't have the ecoweenie mentality bordering on mental disease like segments of western civ do. In-city commuting is done overwhelmingly by train and bus and Nat gas Taxi (you can't run a taxi unless it's on CNG been that way since the 80's). This drivetrain is for weekend getaway driving and I'll bet you it'll show up in their delivery van lineup. Though it could be used in CNG taxi's too.

PS I've eaten whale for school lunch several times a year. Delicious if a tad chewy. Everyone looked forward to it.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the japanese don't have garages. a very large percentage use on-street (down the street communal lots) or car port parking. The rest live in high rise apartments. The Japanese don't have the ecoweenie mentality bordering on mental disease like segments of western civ do. In-city commuting is done overwhelmingly by train and bus and Nat gas Taxi (you can't run a taxi unless it's on CNG been that way since the 80's). This drivetrain is for weekend getaway driving and I'll bet you it'll show up in their delivery van lineup. Though it could be used in CNG taxi's too.

PS I've eaten whale for school lunch several times a year. Delicious if a tad chewy. Everyone looked forward to it.
Exactly. That's why e-Power makes a lot of sense for Japan. It should also make a lot of sense for China, but it doesn't. China has similar population density as Japan, a lot of high rise apartments, a scarcity of personally owned powered garages. The difference is, China mandates zero emissions vehicles and e-Power is no such thing. The regulatory aspect trumps the geo-economical reality. Even though e-Power makes a lot of sense for Japan, it will probably not find similar popularity in North America. Mexico, maybe, US probably not. Every solution is not global. High displacement V8 engines that most of us on this forum love and cherish make no sense in Japan or China or pretty much anywhere else in the world. But they are prevalent here. I think e-Power will prove out similarly. Very popular in Japan, sort of popular in parts of Europe that don't have zero emissions mandates, moderately popular in Mexico, maybe even Canada. Very low interest in the US.

Sponsored

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Insideevs is a highly biased site that will promote Tesla and only Tesla at all cost. They have run so many negative articles on the Chevy bolt and other perfectly fine evs.

With that being said I am crazy hungry. Haven't eaten anything in like 11 hours. What I wouldn't give for a bacon breakfast burrito right now.

Edit: that article is garbage by the way. Extremely misleading title. As stated they just want Tesla to be the standout choice.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
"Burning cookies"? Is this a regional term? :cwl:

BTW, the MCA President responded to member blowback stating neither he nor the club endorsed or approved the Mach E.

upload_2019-12-12_22-47-18.png

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
"Burning cookies"? Is this a regional term? :cwl:

BTW, the MCA President responded to member blowback stating neither he nor the club endorsed or approved the Mach E.

upload_2019-12-12_22-47-18.png

Seems like he needs to go back to school for proper grammar... did he REALLY release a statement like that? Holy hell...