B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Glad you have your head on straight.
Just stay away from women like your previous wife.
I was in exactly the same situation 20 years ago.
Got married to a really nice woman who ended up being a big spender.
Took me to the cleaners, just like yours.
I spent the next 5 years getting out from underneath the debt she left me with when she disappeared.
Spent the next 5 years after that getting my credit rating back up to some really good number.

Just be patient and stick to your financial plan, it will get there.
Sponsored

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Im 43, and paying 612.00/6months full coverage for my 2013 5.0 with state farm..not bad.

Robinson02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black 5.0
22 years old and I was quoted 180/mo for a 2014. Said it might go up maybe 20 a month or so

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
If you qualify for USAA, their rates are almost always going to beat anybody else's, especially if you have multiple accounts with them (credit card, auto loan, savings account, mortgage, whatever).

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
Well, yes, getting a quote can and most likely does get a hit on your credit rating, however it does not affect your score what-so-ever. It's a "soft hit". Unlike applying for a loan or credit card which is a "hard hit". You can get as many insurance quotes as you want and it will do nothing to your credit.

The reason your quotes will fluctuate is because it depends on many, many factors and how that particular insurance company charges for those factors. If you suddenly find a really high premium compared to others (coverages the same) it means you are not their preferred market. They would rather not insure you so they are going to charge a high premium if you insist. That's all.

I've only been working in insurance for 20 years so your experience may vary...but credit is not one of them that it affects - luckily! Well, unless you don't pay them for premium owed...then it can get ugly. That will go to a collection agency.
Unfortunately I am getting a bad taste of it especially with homeowners insurance... getting robbed blind and was told it is typical of you guys without credit or low credit will make claims... no claims on my part but still rates get jacked another 300+ a year... part reason why I am changing today... my agent sucks trying to charge me 2200 a year then all of a sudden we can take you for 1600 after saying I am leaving and now I get a different quote based on structure value... piss poor for farmers having in excess of 3 billion in case of a disaster.... auto is more competitive but this whole thing sucks

Sponsored

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium Magnetic/Ebony
State Farm for me. I got a quote of $85/month, that was $7/month higher on the 2015 GT than my current Honda Civic 2 door.

Amazingly the quote for a C7 was lower, $80/month. That's only $2/month more than I pay for a Honda Civic now, that shocked me.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
finally someone who (like me) doesn't pay some absolutely ridiculous amount for insurance. How are these people paying 150+ a MONTH!?
Shit, I have to pay $180 for just the damn Volvo. My dad still pays for my little Ranger and the F100 is sitting, so it isn't insured. I have two not-at-fault accidents on an otherwise sparkling clean record.

Sucks being 20 and owning a car with a turbo. Assholes.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
USAA

I'm 26 and my wife is 24 turning 25 on the 16th. (Insurance should drop by another 25% when she turns 25)

2012 Ford Edge SEL AWD = $70
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T = $90

Full Coverage with $100 deductibles.

Thank you Army!

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Shit, I have to pay $180 for just the damn Volvo. My dad still pays for my little Ranger and the F100 is sitting, so it isn't insured. I have two not-at-fault accidents on an otherwise sparkling clean record.

wow, yeah that will go down drastically ~24.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
If the cost of Comprehensive Auto Insurance is of concern, unless you live in a Rural Suburban area, the price difference between a Base V6 Convertible and insuring a GT V8 Convertible is going to be Huge, period! Not even attempting to factor in, age, driving history, tickets, etc.

Sponsored

Johnnybear

Future Mustang owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Passat Wagon, Jeep Wrangler, 1979 Mustang
USAA

I'm 26 and my wife is 24 turning 25 on the 16th. (Insurance should drop by another 25% when she turns 25)

2012 Ford Edge SEL AWD = $70
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T = $90

Full Coverage with $100 deductibles.

Thank you Army!
Just hope the honeymoon with USAA does not end for you as it does for many. Their home owner insurance will not even touch my neighborhood after a tornado went through it-not to mention that all the homes are built in the 30's so when they did insure the area, they were way high….did I mention that a storm went through and I was out of town (my wife thought there might be damage) so I called and asked them what I do if there is damage…. there was not damage so I did not file a claim. That they filed with the national data base that I "had a claim". Something that made my rates go up when I switched away from USAA. A company that does that and will not remove it has no morals.

Did I mention my dad who was with them for 25 years, since a time when only commissioned officers could join. That when his adult daughter (my sister) had a minor consumption and a DWI, he was dropped as uninsurable all because she never changed her drivers license from his address to her apartment. Dropped after 25 years. He is with AAA now.

Don't be surprised if you have one claim with them and you will be dropped.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium

Feel lucky you live in North Carolina.

When I was 20 I drove a Toyota Corolla that was older than I was, with a spotless driving record -- no tickets, no accidents -- and paid over $300 a month.

The 2015 Mustang GT will only run me like $130 a month; the only good thing about getting older is that your premiums go down.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Just hope the honeymoon with USAA does not end for you as it does for many. Their home owner insurance will not even touch my neighborhood after a tornado went through it-not to mention that all the homes are built in the 30's so when they did insure the area, they were way high….did I mention that a storm went through and I was out of town (my wife thought there might be damage) so I called and asked them what I do if there is damage…. there was not damage so I did not file a claim. That they filed with the national data base that I "had a claim". Something that made my rates go up when I switched away from USAA. A company that does that and will not remove it has no morals.

Did I mention my dad who was with them for 25 years, since a time when only commissioned officers could join. That when his adult daughter (my sister) had a minor consumption and a DWI, he was dropped as uninsurable all because she never changed her drivers license from his address to her apartment. Dropped after 25 years. He is with AAA now.

I've had multiple claims with USAA (on renters' insurance, and one accident that was 100% my fault and totaled the other car) and they've been nothing but fantastic to me.

It might have to do with the number of accounts you have with them. I think they run an algorithm on you to see how much money you make them, and treat you accordingly. So I have my car loan and my car insurance and my renter's insurance and my main credit card and my savings account with them -- I keep $50K in a savings account with them and probably run $50K a year through my credit card with them, so it's possible their computers see that I make them more money than I cost them and they don't hit me up for anything.

deeps29

Bizarre Edition!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none

This. I have heard nothing but all bad reviews about USAA. Right now I'm dealing with them regarding my Genesis Coupe. My insurance is Progressive but since the accident was other guy's fault who had USAA, I have to deal with them and they are extremely painful and rude people to talk to.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
No question about it, JD Powers has rated "Auto Owners Insurance" the best for many years now.
Sponsored