Mustang Ecoboost HPP (High Performance Package) Modifications Log

elkwood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Elkwood
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Wow!! That dealership planned to screw you over big time !! Glad u had the experience to deal with it.

Can't wait to see your thoughts on this one. I really enjoyed your HPP build thread!!

I noticed u didn't care for the mt-82. Did u over consider upgrading the shifter to say a Barton hybrid 3 shifter? That plus the steeda clutch spring seem to help a lot from what i have read.

Good luck with the new Stang i love the fact you already modding it !!
Sponsored

OP
OP

ANS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Wow!! That dealership planned to screw you over big time !! Glad u had the experience to deal with it.

Can't wait to see your thoughts on this one. I really enjoyed your HPP build thread!!

I noticed u didn't care for the mt-82. Did u over consider upgrading the shifter to say a Barton hybrid 3 shifter? That plus the steeda clutch spring seem to help a lot from what i have read.

Good luck with the new Stang i love the fact you already modding it !!
Unfortunately, some dealerships still believe they can get away with anything. I didn't have any major issues with the mt-82. You are most likely right on the money with the shifter upgrade needing to be done. The factory shifter engagement left a lot to be desired. I am one of those crazy people who mod the car the first day they buy it lol. Thank you, I am excited to see what I can do with it. So far I have done the following:

Mishimoto radiator
Mishimoto intercooler
AFE intake pipe (I prefer it over the airaid which many own on here. The build quality is better and the plastic is slightly thicker. You can see a difference in the temps between the two)
Drop-in Green filter
Flowmaster axle-back exhaust (I am probably going to purchasing the y-pipe from flowmaster when I get a chance)
Denso spark plugs gapped to .028
I have been testing between SCT, Livernois Motorsports, and the Cobb tunes as I own all of the platforms.
On top of everything, I have an entire sound system I have designed (I do car audio sales and installation) which I need to get around to installing.

elkwood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Elkwood
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Unfortunately, some dealerships still believe they can get away with anything. I didn't have any major issues with the mt-82. You are most likely right on the money with the shifter upgrade needing to be done. The factory shifter engagement left a lot to be desired. I am one of those crazy people who mod the car the first day they buy it lol. Thank you, I am excited to see what I can do with it. So far I have done the following:

Mishimoto radiator
Mishimoto intercooler
AFE intake pipe (I prefer it over the airaid which many own on here. The build quality is better and the plastic is slightly thicker. You can see a difference in the temps between the two)
Drop-in Green filter
Flowmaster axle-back exhaust (I am probably going to purchasing the y-pipe from flowmaster when I get a chance)
Denso spark plugs gapped to .028
I have been testing between SCT, Livernois Motorsports, and the Cobb tunes as I own all of the platforms.
On top of everything, I have an entire sound system I have designed (I do car audio sales and installation) which I need to get around to installing.

Will be most interested in your thoughts on the Tunes.

I recently ordered a EcoBoast HPP/6 speed manual. I have my game plan for what mods i want to perform but my one hold up been the Tune. Back in my STI days COBB was definitely the way to go. Now it seems they have to pull stage 2/3 canned tunes. Though i guess u can still ask for them.

Also your audio advantages will be of interest.

Like i have said i found your build series most informative!! Thanks again for posting the information you have.

OP
OP

ANS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Will be most interested in your thoughts on the Tunes.

I recently ordered a EcoBoast HPP/6 speed manual. I have my game plan for what mods i want to perform but my one hold up been the Tune. Back in my STI days COBB was definitely the way to go. Now it seems they have to pull stage 2/3 canned tunes. Though i guess u can still ask for them.

Also your audio advantages will be of interest.

Like i have said i found your build series most informative!! Thanks again for posting the information you have.
I went down to Austin and gave Cobb access to my 2021 mustang in order for them to work on the tune for the new year. There have been some changes within the ECU requiring them to make changes to their previous ots tunes.

After my impressions of Cobb, SCT, and Livernois I would rank them accordingly (this is only for ots tunes):

1) SCT - Has the been throttle response and midrange power. The tune does not touch the transmission tune. I reset the adaptive learning on the transmission and so far it has been excellent. The transmission has grown accustomed to the tune and my driving style.
2) Livernois - The throttle response is greatly improved over the factory tune but not as responsive as the SCT tune. The power response is similar to the SCT tune, however, has slightly less output. The Livernois tune does change the transmission tune which allows the RPM to hit redline in most gears before upshifting. The shifting is improved compared to the factory tune. Overall it is an excellent tune with no complaints.
3) Cobb Beta tune (this ots tune is far from finished as Cobb is still working on the 2021 models) - The throttle response is worse than the factory tune. It seems very divided between either going slow or full throttle. Inputting 30-60% throttle seems to either confuse the vehicle or have no effect depending on the gear currently in. While on the highway light throttle input causes the vehicle to hesitate at times. Power output during full throttle is less than Livernois and SCT.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
and am trying to decide whether to get another ecoboost hpp or just the normal version. Has anyone driven both? What did you think? How do you think the power making capabilities go between the two as I understand the hpp has a slightly different turbo and other hardware.
they both stunk in power delivery. Breathless way too soon and for all the PSI readout couldn't get out of their own way. A large intercooler really helped to keep IAT way down but a tune (Unleashed Tuning) completely cleaned up the engine and only fed in boost when the engine could actually use it. Pulled like a bull and was willing to rev like a Honda 1.6l VTEC. Yes the HPP is slightly better than non but the Ford tune is just embarrassingly bad. Plus you can have your tuner generate an E30 tune which the turbo loves.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
they both stunk in power delivery. Breathless way too soon and for all the PSI readout couldn't get out of their own way. A large intercooler really helped to keep IAT way down but a tune (Unleashed Tuning) completely cleaned up the engine and only fed in boost when the engine could actually use it. Pulled like a bull and was willing to rev like a Honda 1.6l VTEC. Yes the HPP is slightly better than non but the Ford tune is just embarrassingly bad. Plus you can have your tuner generate an E30 tune which the turbo loves.
This exactly. From what I understand, the NX2 turbo makes it better on the street and allows higher Max power.

OP
OP

ANS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I think it goes without saying that replacing an intercooler and/or upgrading a turbo to an aftermarket unit will greatly improve the performance of intake temps and power on any turbo vehicle.

I disagree, I think when you compare the ecoboost to other turbo 4 vehicles it is an impressive platform in stock form.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The tune was done before any other mods. I couldn't believe the difference. And I drove my eb with and without tune back to back with a stock HPP and validated my observation.

I drove my EB along with my GTI also tuned vs non and the stock EB was ponderous and lazy in comparison. The worst thing Ford did on the EB is shipping it with such a lousy tune.

OP
OP

ANS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
The tune was done before any other mods. I couldn't believe the difference. And I drove my eb with and without tune back to back with a stock HPP and validated my observation.

I drove my EB along with my GTI also tuned vs non and the stock EB was ponderous and lazy in comparison. The worst thing Ford did on the EB is shipping it with such a lousy tune.
I agreed the stock tune is far too mild. I always wondered if they were planning on doing trim options with more power and ended up not doing so.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Do/did Focus RS owners complain about the stock tune?

Sponsored

elkwood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Elkwood
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Do/did Focus RS owners complain about the stock tune?
Never seen any car forum where they didn't complain about the OEM tune. Only thing the OEM is worried about is passing an artificial epa test. Making it run well is secondary ....

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
When I dyno'd my car stock, the A/F ratio was ~8.9:1 at WOT. That is just shit tuning. Make whatever power you want, but running the car like that is just shit engineering. I don't know what else to say. It's embarrassing.

maximen13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2020 2.3
Do you know guys where to buy in Europe the pieces at first post to emulate the exhaust valve in an ecoboost 2020?, or if there is in EEUU some shop with international delivery to buy it…?

Here is hard to find this things.. thanks !!

steve0s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
STEVE
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP 2.3 Mustang
I picked up a Fully loaded 2020 HPP in Jan of this year and have really enjoyed modding it out. Here is my list.

RTR Tech7's 19x9.5 +33 offset
RTR Rear diffuser
RTR rear splitters
RTR Side splitters
RTR Hood Vents/Hood stripe delete
RTR upper/lower grille with LED's
RTR Fender badges
RTR Floor mats/trunk mat
Anchor Room RTR FP dash plate
OEM GT350 Trac Pack spoiler
FP Magneride lowering springs
FP Hood struts
Steeda IRS alignment kit
Steeda IRS subframe braces
Steeda billet hood release lever
NGK tune+ sparkplugs
CVF street IC/May upgrade later
CVF H/C charge pipes
CVF Catted DP/Stock Active Exhaust
Turbosmart electronic BOV
Airaid Tube with AEM dry filter
NX2 Turbo
91/e30 tuned by PD TUNING
The car feels great and is a blast to drive, I'm in AZ and this is my DD.

Screenshot_20210806-134027_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20210803-144137_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20210802-154353_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210802-151927_Chrome.jpg

20210719_143844.jpg

Screenshot_20210802-163741_Drive.jpg

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I picked up a Fully loaded 2020 HPP in Jan of this year and have really enjoyed modding it out. Here is my list.

RTR Tech7's 19x9.5 +33 offset
RTR Rear diffuser
RTR rear splitters
RTR Side splitters
RTR Hood Vents/Hood stripe delete
RTR upper/lower grille with LED's
RTR Fender badges
RTR Floor mats/trunk mat
Anchor Room RTR FP dash plate
OEM GT350 Trac Pack spoiler
FP Magneride lowering springs
FP Hood struts
Steeda IRS alignment kit
Steeda IRS subframe braces
Steeda billet hood release lever
NGK tune+ sparkplugs
CVF street IC/May upgrade later
CVF H/C charge pipes
CVF Catted DP/Stock Active Exhaust
Turbosmart electronic BOV
Airaid Tube with AEM dry filter
5* 91octane pro tune
NX2 and dyno tune with PD tuning is next
The car feels great and is a blast to drive, I'm in AZ and this is my DD.

Screenshot_20210806-134027_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20210803-144137_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20210802-154353_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210802-151927_Chrome.jpg

20210719_143844.jpg

Screenshot_20210802-163741_Drive.jpg
Good looking S550 and tasteful list of improvements over stock.
Sponsored