2020 Ecoboost mustang Build log

DOOM120406

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost - 2004 Ford Ranger Edge
This thread will serve as a build log for my 2020 mustang EcoBoost. My build will go through three phases of development.
Phase 1 will be the implementation of aftermarket parts to improve on the stock block while maintaining the warranty.
Phase 2 This will be where I start to look into getting a built engine from various manufacturers.
Phase 3 High HP

I have the following parts on the way for my build that will be added in the next couple of months:

1 -Tomei Exhaust
2 - Ffperformance charge pipes with HKS bov and turbosmart controller
3 - Airraid cold air intake

So far I have been watching 'watchmyeco' on youtube and I really like the way that his build has been going but I honestly am not sure what I will be adding to the car after this. I am still undecided on the intercooler that I want to go with although I do know that the CVF IC will not work with the charge pipes that I am getting. If any of you have any suggestions please feel free to leave a comment - opinions are invited as well!

BTW I may end up putting some of these decisions to a vote so be on the lookout and be sure to follow the build :)
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Why wonā€™t the charge pipes work? Thatā€™s incorrect. If the charge pipes currently work with the current oem, then there are several drop in place as oem, utilizing same size and everything

Cpe fmic, mishimoto fmic, cvfab themselves also has a fmic.

The race cvfab ic I read has bigger inlets so the charge pipes wonā€™t fit. But, I do believe the Cpe race intercooler if you want the full size IC, works with oem location / size charge pipes.

Albeit itā€™s a bit pricy, I personally use Cpe fmic w aftermarket Cpe charge pipes (also hks) works great together

I am assuming the charge pipes are same fitment/as oem except prob slightly larger

OP
OP

DOOM120406

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost - 2004 Ford Ranger Edge
Why wonā€™t the charge pipes work? Thatā€™s incorrect. If the charge pipes currently work with the current oem, then there are several drop in place as oem, utilizing same size and everything

Cpe fmic, mishimoto fmic, cvfab themselves also has a fmic.

The race cvfab ic I read has bigger inlets so the charge pipes wonā€™t fit. But, I do believe the Cpe race intercooler if you want the full size IC, works with oem location / size charge pipes.

Albeit itā€™s a bit pricy, I personally use Cpe fmic w aftermarket Cpe charge pipes (also hks) works great together

I am assuming the charge pipes are same fitment/as oem except prob slightly larger
Hey dude love your build! I didnt go for the cpe - instead I went with ffperformance and i was reading through and saw that they state its not compatible without being altered to fit. Otherwise I would go for the CVF IC. - This Full-Race Intercooler Piping Kit is specifically designed to fit the 2015-2020 Ford Mustang EcoBoost. They will work with both stock and aftermarket intercoolers.(Aftermarket intercoolers that are not Full-Race Motorsports or ETS may require minor trimming)

Yeah I love the sound of the hks it reminds me of paul walkers GTR from fast and furious.

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Hey dude love your build! I didnt go for the cpe - instead I went with ffperformance and i was reading through and saw that they state its not compatible without being altered to fit. Otherwise I would go for the CVF IC. - This Full-Race Intercooler Piping Kit is specifically designed to fit the 2015-2020 Ford Mustang EcoBoost. They will work with both stock and aftermarket intercoolers.(Aftermarket intercoolers that are not Full-Race Motorsports or ETS may require minor trimming)

Yeah I love the sound of the hks it reminds me of paul walkers GTR from fast and furious.
FFPerformance doesn't make a charge pipe kit as far as I know. They are big on the Full Race offerings, though, so you may have confused the kit name.

We have an HKS BOV charge pipe kit on the way as well. It should up on the site within a month or so and release soon thereafter.

Our Race intercooler will more than likely fit any aftermarket charge pipe kit as long as you use larger lower couplers for the hot and cold side. We provide those two couplers at no charge if you purchase the intercooler from our web site. Just let me know which kit you're purchasing and I can clarify.

Feel free to give me a shout via PM if you have any questions. Looking forward to seeing your build!

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
FFPerformance doesn't make a charge pipe kit as far as I know. They are big on the Full Race offerings, though, so you may have confused the kit name.

We have an HKS BOV charge pipe kit on the way as well. It should up on the site within a month or so and release soon thereafter.

Our Race intercooler will more than likely fit any aftermarket charge pipe kit as long as you use larger lower couplers for the hot and cold side. We provide those two couplers at no charge if you purchase the intercooler from our web site. Just let me know which kit you're purchasing and I can clarify.

Feel free to give me a shout via PM if you have any questions. Looking forward to seeing your build!
Oh snap! You guys are finally getting an HKS flange?! BROOOOOOOOOOOO I needed that 5 months ago if you remember our conversation LOL

Sponsored

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Oh snap! You guys are finally getting an HKS flange?! BROOOOOOOOOOOO I needed that 5 months ago if you remember our conversation LOL
šŸ˜† I do! We're long overdue for it. We're just catching up on the backlog of product development now. 2020 was an insane year all around!

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
šŸ˜† I do! We're long overdue for it. We're just catching up on the backlog of product development now. 2020 was an insane year all around!
*cough* Ill take the r&d version once you are done if you REALLY want me to, you don't have to beg! :wink:

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red

All aftermarket piping kits are designed specifically for the 2015-2020 Mustang ecoboost but can and will come up short somewhere on occasion, Full-Race included. Don't even get me started on their intercooler, as beautiful as the welds are there are a few problems getting that to fit. But the piping kit I ordered to go with it was a bit problematic too. Cold side fit well enough but I can't tell you how the hotside fit because the kit they send for use with the OEM blowoff valve has no blowoff valve on it at all. I called thinking they made a mistake, sent the tech a picture and he told me that was the right one as if I was supposed to delete the valve entirely. Granted, this won't be the case for you getting one with the HKS flange on it but that's the company you're dealing with. Great welds but fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired and they are clueless as to how their equipment actually gets used once it leaves CAD design.

Anyways, my advice is to expect all aftermarket parts to require some fabrication or modification to fit right and stick to companies not based on their claims but on reputation of after-sale support since there are quite a few good ones in the Mustang market. If I had it to do over again I'd probably have gone with the CVF parts on both but they didn't have a production unit when I put mine in.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I've been really happy with my CVF Street intercooler, hot & cold inlet pipes & catted downpipe. The fabrication work is top notch, it performs great, it's reliable and not a complete PITA to install.

If I have a single bitch it's that the intercooler is a bit heavy. I know it will be heavier than stock, but it sucks for road course guys to stick that extra weight on the nose.

VicRattlehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RS1 Roush EcoBoost
All aftermarket piping kits are designed specifically for the 2015-2020 Mustang ecoboost but can and will come up short somewhere on occasion, Full-Race included
I got my full race and it dropped in like butta, yeah the bov flange was not the right one on the first one they sent me but it was corrected and I had the right one in hand when I was ready to do install. IfI did it again, Iā€™d do it the same way. Maybe not do the vent to air bov cause it got annoying quick wish it was just quiet all the time

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
I've been really happy with my CVF Street intercooler, hot & cold inlet pipes & catted downpipe. The fabrication work is top notch, it performs great, it's reliable and not a complete PITA to install.

If I have a single bitch it's that the intercooler is a bit heavy. I know it will be heavier than stock, but it sucks for road course guys to stick that extra weight on the nose.
Just how heavy is it? Obviously it will be a little heavier, and you expected that, but I'm thinking it must be a substantial difference for you to mention it?

tfribourg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost HPP
Just how heavy is it? Obviously it will be a little heavier, and you expected that, but I'm thinking it must be a substantial difference for you to mention it?
It's probably around 25 lbs. The stock is like maybe 10
Sponsored