Sponsored

Muffling cold-start exhaust dB levels?

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolute Black 2017 GT Fastback (Manual)
Anyone got any good ideas for muffling the exhaust during cold start at early hours of the morning?

I tend to leave home for work between 5:30am - 6:00am when everyone's sleeping, and I find that the cold start dB levels on my car is very loud (quad-tips too). My neighbors must hate me! :doh:

Just wondering if there's some sort of muffling solution I can use to reduce the dB levels during early morning cold starts :confused:
Sponsored

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I made something a couple years ago, have served me well and several people have made them off the back of my instructions. Not pretty, but they never were intended to leave the garage lol

If you want the ingredients list I can supply

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68962

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
can have the cold start spark adjusted in the tune and it would be quiet a bit quieter.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Livernois has something on their tune (if you ask) where the idle drops down within a couple of seconds. I have it on my car.

I don't see you having a tune on your signature but perhaps any other tuner can also do it if you proceed that way?

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
I changed my cold start max retard tables in drive and neutral, and my obnoxiously loud cold start quieted way down. helped when I was staying in my buddies condo for the weekend with the single car garage. cold starts prior to that were brutal in there lol

Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I have mine adjusted down via Lund tune.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
Bill is right. If the car is tuned, add timing to the cold spark tables. It rips all of the timing out and load shoots up during cold start.

...shoot...load....ha.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
"Hurricane Long-tube Headers w/high-flow cats and complete 3" exhaust system w/Quad-tips"

...oh it's toooooooo loud....OMG.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Don't buy a performance car if it's a concern LOL

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Don't buy a performance car if it's a concern LOL
Some people can afford and want to own a performance car but don't live on acres of land or work a normal schedule. What if the man has a newborn sleeping above the garage when he leaves for work at 5am? Wouldn't providing helpful info on patching his tune be easier than suggesting he not own the car?

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
OP
OP
Type550

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolute Black 2017 GT Fastback (Manual)
Some people can afford and want to own a performance car but don't live on acres of land or work a normal schedule. What if the man has a newborn sleeping above the garage when he leaves for work at 5am? Wouldn't providing helpful info on patching his tune be easier than suggesting he not own the car?
Exactly! Not only do I have neighbors around me with infants, but I also have elderly people across the road too.

Don't buy a performance car if it's a concern? That's a pretty stupid, unhelpful response.

I'll reiterate, my only concern is the cold start dB levels at 5:30AM. When the motor is at normal operating temps it's fine. I'm just being considerate for my neighbors, so unless you have any constructive advice, move on.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
OP sounds like a good neighbor. My news ones next door all have loud exhausts and leave anywhere from 4a to 8p so I got tired of the noise right away. After a year I guess I've gotten used to it because it doesn't bother as much as it used to.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
The OP put long tubes, high flow cats and a 3 inch cat back on. He knew what he was getting into.

I am getting LTH and catless mids put on my 18 this week. This added to a Corsa Xtreme. So I know damn well what I am in for.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly! Not only do I have neighbors around me with infants, but I also have elderly people across the road too.

Don't buy a performance car if it's a concern? That's a pretty stupid, unhelpful response.

I'll reiterate, my only concern is the cold start dB levels at 5:30AM. When the motor is at normal operating temps it's fine. I'm just being considerate for my neighbors, so unless you have any constructive advice, move on.
YOU are the one who made your car as loud as it is.... RIGHT?

Were the elderly neighbors not a concern then? Were the gaggle of babies you are waking at 0530hrs not a thought THEN?

What IS STUPID is adding this shit on your vehicle and then being shocked that its "so loud " that it is likely pissing your neighbors off.

Here is the constructive advice you are seeking.... ready?

Do not make your vehicle loud if you do not want it loud.... and...….

Search button works wonders for those who make that error and want to "muffle
" their self chosen obnoxious exhaust.
Sponsored