MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought a 2019 GT. The exhaust volume is generally what I expected but the cold start is louder than I expected. I like it now but I am planning to do a resonator delete X-pipe. How much louder will the cold start get? :) I definitely want more volume in normal driving but I don't want to bother my elderly neighbors who live across the alley. For anyone who has added an X-pipe to the stock exhaust on a 2018+, how's the cold start?
Sponsored

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
Alot. My son -in-law did this to his 15 GT we all agree it's loud.

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Alot. My son -in-law did this to his 15 GT we all agree it's loud.
That's what I was afraid of. And since the 15-17 stock exhaust was tamer than the 2018+, mine will likely be louder than his.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Yeah - it sounds pretty wild on cold starts - that is all that I've done to my 18 - FP X pipe - I love cold starts but it is fairly loud.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I just bought a 2019 GT. The exhaust volume is generally what I expected but the cold start is louder than I expected. I like it now but I am planning to do a resonator delete X-pipe. How much louder will the cold start get? :) I definitely want more volume in normal driving but I don't want to bother my elderly neighbors who live across the alley. For anyone who has added an X-pipe to the stock exhaust on a 2018+, how's the cold start?
I started with just an x pipe on my 18 when it was stock. Cold start definitely louder but quiets down after 20-30 sec and warm starts are pretty quiet. Found the stock mufflers quite tinny sounding with the x so that only lasted about a month before going full exhaust. And fyi at the time was living in a condo, parking outside, no neighbor complaints if that helps.

Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I started with just an x pipe on my 18 when it was stock. Cold start definitely louder but quiets down after 20-30 sec and warm starts are pretty quiet. Found the stock mufflers quite tinny sounding with the x so that only lasted about a month before going full exhaust. And fyi at the time was living in a condo, parking outside, no neighbor complaints if that helps.
I'm extremely happy with the stock (non active) + X Pipe - not tinny whatsoever. Would really like to hear your car though and I am in AZ - perhaps someday.

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm. I thought the "tinny" sound with an X was more of a 15-17 thing. If that's the case I might just wait until I'm ready to spend more on a catback, or an axle back to pair with an X or H.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
I'm extremely happy with the stock (non active) + X Pipe - not tinny whatsoever. Would really like to hear your car though and I am in AZ - perhaps someday.
Sure thing let me know when you are down in the valley though I do not blame you for staying in cooler Prescott in our summer lol.

My exhaust journey went something like this:
Stock
Stock mufflers with x pipe- louder than stock but too tinny
Corsa Xtreme - sounded great
Corsa Xtreme mated to ARH direct connect long tubes- much louder but tone changed to a less desirable trumpety noise
Corsa Xtreme mated to ARH direct connect LTH with Vibrant 1794s welded in - helped kill the trumpety tone and brought volume down
Ended up cutting off the Xtreme mufflers and Vibrants but keeping the Corsa double x mated to ARH LTH. Added AWE Touring mufflers. I found the combo really woke up the lower rpms while still screaming up top, still 0 drone.

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Ask your tuner to make it quieter. The stock tune does that to warm the cats faster but it can be made much less offensive to neighbors.

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Ask your tuner to make it quieter. The stock tune does that to warm the cats faster but it can be made much less offensive to neighbors.
Don't have a tuner yet. Is there much benefit if you're not adding headers or boost?

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Don't have a tuner yet. Is there much benefit if you're not adding headers or boost?
Tune can reduce cold start to 10 sec or less.

Tuning can make a huge difference. Especially if you go e85, worth 40whp by itself and alot of torque down low. If just doing a 91/93 tune it's not that significant, unless your car does not have drive modes then the tune makes a huge difference. I couldn't imagine driving around in normal mode, really only good for letting the car get up to operating temps.

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Tune can reduce cold start to 10 sec or less.

Tuning can make a huge difference. Especially if you go e85, worth 40whp by itself and alot of torque down low. If just doing a 91/93 tune it's not that significant, unless your car does not have drive modes then the tune makes a huge difference. I couldn't imagine driving around in normal mode, really only good for letting the car get up to operating temps.
I do have drive modes. It's a 400a. I take trips to places where E85 isn't available, so I guess I'd need a flex tune.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
I do have drive modes. It's a 400a. I take trips to places where E85 isn't available, so I guess I'd need a flex tune.
I've been running flex tune for 2+ years. Only use 91 for occasional maintenance every few months or whatever but always miss it for that one tank. Last dyno on e put down 516whp/454wtq. Pretty healthy NA. Definitely worth it.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
your elderly neighbors probably can't hear very well anyways so who cares

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
your elderly neighbors probably can't hear very well anyways so who cares
They hear fine. We've known them for a long time and have helped each other out over the years. At least he's somewhat of a car guy. He had a 911 for a while that had sort of a loud cold start.
Sponsored