Sponsored

Muffler alignment after x pipe install

Mrzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AGT350
I just installed a Steeda x pipe on my 2019 mustang gt with active exhaust. I noticed after the install that the mufflers were tilted, the outer tips hang lower. I had a feeling this would happen. So prior to cutting out the factory resonator, I tied some wire around the exhaust piping behind the diff and wrapped it over the rear sway bar so it would not move. I tried every which way to align the muffler to factory settings after installing the x pipe without any luck. Anyone have any tips or tricks to aligning the mufflers? Also, any recommendations on some more robust exhaust clamps? The ones steeda provided seems flimsy.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I use a jack which I position in the middle between both mufflers with a 2*4 o(or similar)on it that is long enough to lift both mufflers at the same time.

Then I work my way from the front to the rear when tightening the system in place. However the provided clamps will not hold it in place and some sagging will occur after a while. That is at least what I have experienced.

Issues

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT. 1990 LX 5.0 . 2006 F-150. 76 RD400. 73 H2. 75 RD350
I have the same pipe. I keep adjusting them. I'm going to try a better clamp. If that doesn't help I'll end up welding.

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
I just installed a Steeda x pipe on my 2019 mustang gt with active exhaust. I noticed after the install that the mufflers were tilted, the outer tips hang lower. I had a feeling this would happen. So prior to cutting out the factory resonator, I tied some wire around the exhaust piping behind the diff and wrapped it over the rear sway bar so it would not move. I tried every which way to align the muffler to factory settings after installing the x pipe without any luck. Anyone have any tips or tricks to aligning the mufflers? Also, any recommendations on some more robust exhaust clamps? The ones steeda provided seems flimsy.

Thanks in advance!

I recently did a cat back on my 19 with active exhaust best advice get a buddy or neighbor. My 17 year old son helped me..he was able to be a second set of eyes/hands.

as I tightened the bolts he helped align the mid xpipe and then the mufflers. We did this on 4 jack stands.

good luck.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Same thing happened with my h pipe. Both sides hang about 1/2 inch lower then what it was at so a good 1 inch. My left side actually hangs about 1/4" lower then the right. Tried readjusting things and just can't get it where it was.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mrzero

Mrzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AGT350
Thanks for the responses and tips, guys. I'm not a perfectionist but this crooked exhaust is effen bothering me lol.

TheDonEffect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tbd
When I installed my corsa, I'm in a habit to test fit then tighten. Nope, you gotta tighten pretty much all the way as you go. Mine was dropping a good 2-3", couldn't for the life of me figure it out. Then I figured out you have to hold it in place and tighten all the way down. I used a shop stool (soft pad, hydraulic up/down adjustment, and pretty much my entire body to do it. What made it more aggravating was that I couldnt get then where I wanted in the first shot, so left right left right slowly got it to get where I wanted. This would've been mitigated with a lift, help, and power tools. I like a challenge.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hhmmm, I noticed a couple of small potential issues with my steeda H and the steeda clamps - I corrected both but don’t have my car yet to fit them.

I’m hoping it helps as misaligned tips is really going to piss me off ... ! :angry:

Details on my build thread if your interested :like:

WD :like:

Chuckles the 3rd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
I installed the Steeda X-pipe on my 18 as well and the supplied clamps wouldn't hold the tips aligned. After reading other threads on here, I purchased 2 of the reinforced stainless clamps and couldn't be happier! Don't waste anymore time with the weak band clamps...
Screenshot_20200202-142609_Amazon Shopping.jpg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is it the internal sleeves that make the difference ? Other than the sleeve, they look very similar to the clamps that came with my steeda H :

23689203-DECA-4-EDE-B5-F1-C129-ED553-AA8.jpg

Sponsored

Chuckles the 3rd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Is it the internal sleeves that make the difference ? Other than the sleeve, they look very similar to the clamps that came with my steeda H :

23689203-DECA-4-EDE-B5-F1-C129-ED553-AA8.jpg

The inner sleeve is of a similar gauge to the Steeda clamps and reinforced clamping force comes from the outer sleeve. I torqued them to 50#'s and they have held to tips perfectly for 3 months now.

EEMene

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Have a 2019 Mustang GT w/Active Exhaust and after a Steeda H-Pipe install have the same exhaust tip miss-aligment discussed in this thread. The input/output pipes of the stock resonator (suitecase) are not inline, as are the Steeda mid-pipes resonator delete. So, I believe this requires a slight joint angle adjument and extra force on the butt clamps. The Steeda Clamps are too flimsy, to hold the joint at a slight offset angle. I will try the suggested double-wall stainless butt clamps and see if that solves my problem. I will also let Steeda know of their design flaw.
Sponsored