Sponsored

mt82 failure

Swagthony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Have you noticed anything weird or any extra noise from the trans?
Sometimes I notice a weird noise in 2nd but other than that not really. It seems so far that the more miles I put on it the less I hear.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Storm728

Storm728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
What's the latest? :confused:
Broken flywheel . ford servic has been in contact with me about it trying to get se info and expediting the new flywheel because they're on backorder. They were generous enough to pay for the rental I currently have however

SilverSpoon09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTP PP in CO / 08 CTS / 00 C-SVT
Broken flywheel . ford servic has been in contact with me about it trying to get se info and expediting the new flywheel because they're on backorder. They were generous enough to pay for the rental I currently have however
Wow, any idea on the cause?

Sponsored

SilverSpoon09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Me and the wife took a ride to go shopping today and I took off in first from a light and I heard this nasty grinding then it abruptly went away. This is driving me nuts. I almost don't want to drive it because I don't want to get stranded.

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
No idea. Said theyve never seen this before especially with such low miles. Bad casting bad harmonics who knows I'm just glad someone from ford is assisting to expedite this mishap.
I didn't realize that the flywheel assembly was made out of a casting! In all seriousness, with that amount of pressure being exerted I assumed that the unit would have been made out of billet material! I hope they're now able to trace the lot number on the part to see who, where, when, and what date it was manufactured! I suspect a recall coming soon for anyone owning a vehicle with those specific flywheels manufactured by "X" between "Y" and "Z" dates? :doh:

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
I didn't realize that the flywheel assembly was made out of a casting! In all seriousness, with that amount of pressure being exerted I assumed that the unit would have been made out of billet material! I hope they're now able to trace the lot number on the part to see who, where, when, and what date it was manufactured! I suspect a recall coming soon for anyone owning a vehicle with those specific flywheels manufactured by "X" between "Y" and "Z" dates? :doh:

Very few are billet from forged steel. Most are machined from a casting. A bad casting is possible. Very possible. It happens.

I wouldn't worry about dates and flywheels and tracking a problem because one failed. It happens. Sucks when it's you, but it does. If you going to worry about one failure and it happening to you, start worrying about every part on your car. Chances are, there's one somewhere that that part has failed on. It's mechanical.

Now if ten of them show up in a build blend, that's something to worry about. Until then, enjoy your car.

Swagthony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Me and the wife took a ride to go shopping today and I took off in first from a light and I heard this nasty grinding then it abruptly went away. This is driving me nuts. I almost don't want to drive it because I don't want to get stranded.
Same sound here!!! Sometimes it bothers me so much that I just don't even want to drive it

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Same sound here!!! Sometimes it bothers me so much that I just don't even want to drive it

Man that's not cool at all. Is this happening all the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Bummer.
Really.
But those who are paranoid about it happening to them? Relax and drive it, man. Just drive it. And if the same thing happens to you...
Bummer.
Really.
And if it happens again to someone else... okay, then we can all start worrying.

aeropaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Very few are billet from forged steel. Most are machined from a casting. A bad casting is possible. Very possible. It happens.

I wouldn't worry about dates and flywheels and tracking a problem because one failed. It happens. Sucks when it's you, but it does. If you going to worry about one failure and it happening to you, start worrying about every part on your car. Chances are, there's one somewhere that that part has failed on. It's mechanical.

Now if ten of them show up in a build blend, that's something to worry about. Until then, enjoy your car.
Thanks for this perspective. A single failure isn't enough data to start a panic yet. For those of you who are worried. The best thing to do would be to drive your car until it breaks and then get it repaired under warranty. That's what it's for. If it's going to break, best to break it when it's free to you to get it fixed, not when you have to foot the bill for the trans removal and new flywheel.

Thanks for keeping us updated Storm. Any way you could get a picture for those of us who are curious?

SilverSpoon09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Bummer.
Really.
But those who are paranoid about it happening to them? Relax and drive it, man. Just drive it. And if the same thing happens to you...
Bummer.
Really.
And if it happens again to someone else... okay, then we can all start worrying.

So here the problem I have... I have a Caddilac CTS with 100k on it and I have absolutely no second thoughts if I'm going to get stranded if I take it out. I have a shitty Saturn SL2 with 190k on it and I would not think twice taking it out of town; it will not strand me. I have a BRAND FUCKING NEW CAR and I was a tad worried to take my wife out on a date tonight because of the noise making me feel uneasy. I then say fuck it and take my wife out on a date and she ends up saying "Man that sounds like an old man choking to death" referring to the transmission noise. I have went from a tad worried to kinda fucking irate at this point. I just ticked 1000 miles and I have managed to get anther new noise out of the trans that again makes me feel even more uncomfortable.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
So here the problem I have... I have a Caddilac CTS with 100k on it and I have absolutely no second thoughts if I'm going to get stranded if I take it out. I have a shitty Saturn SL2 with 190k on it and I would not think twice taking it out of town; it will not strand me. I have a BRAND FUCKING NEW CAR and I was a tad worried to take my wife out on a date tonight because of the noise making me feel uneasy. I then say fuck it and take my wife out on a date and she ends up saying "Man that sounds like an old man choking to death" referring to the transmission noise. I have went from a tad worried to kinda fucking irate at this point. I just ticked 1000 miles and I have managed to get anther new noise out of the trans that again makes me feel even more uncomfortable.
That sucks. I'd take it to the dealer before you put another 1000 on it. Anytime your instincts tell you something is amiss, listen.

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
That sucks. I'd take it to the dealer before you put another 1000 on it. Anytime your instincts tell you something is amiss, listen.

Agreed, you are under warranty. Go to the dealer, replicate the issue, ask for a loaner, drive off. You don't need to live with this or have that worry on your mind. There are people launching this car with MT and making 9-10 second 1/4 mile passes. Another making 900 hp on the MT trans as well with no issues. Something is obviously off with yours, get it fixed and have peace of mind, just don't let it drag on or get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored