Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Interesting TSB for the MT82, which shows stock clutch failure that may be related to excessive wheel hop from aggressive launches, and doc calls for Peak Torque Limiter replacement.

Per TSB:
Summary
Some 2018-2020 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine and an MT-82 manual transmission may experience a loss of movement and/or difficulty shifting. This may be due to excessive wheel hop which is caused by aggressive acceleration at low speeds while using launch control. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to replace the failed components and replace the peak torque limiter.
--
See attached PDF for images and location of the Peak Torque Limiter.
Sponsored

Attachments

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
Is this something to go have inspected or only if you have a issue?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Wonder what was the new weak link starting in 2018 and fixed in 2021?

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What I find interesting in the TSB images is the damages to the stock clutch assembly.

There were quite a few threads posted on here a while back by M6G members with failed stock clutches showing actual damages of the failed pressure plate straps and sheared rivets from the dual mass flywheel just like the images found in the TSB...

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
sounds like a great time to upgrade the clutch if needed/desired

Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Is this something to go have inspected or only if you have a issue?
Did you have one of the 4 failures as outlined in the document? TSB's only apply when you've broken it, something of light recall. They know it's busted, and they'll fix it when it's busted, but if you haven't busted it, grow a pair and drive like a real man. They did this earlier with the weak 18-mid 19 1-2, 3-4 shift forks and weak gears. You do have to bring it in, and let them test it, as just handing them a broken transmission leads them to believe you might have been tinkering with it. Bringing in your race car, also a solid no-no.
(also, why in the hell would you want some 19 yr old pimple faced dingus touching your race car?)

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So the fix is just to turn down the max allowed torque? Really Ford?
Might want to roll up your "jump-to-conclusions" mat.

1680229588891.png

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I see. So it limits the torque you can apply to the pressure plate hydraulic wise then. Interesting
Yeah, it's a goofy name for sure though, everybody else would call it that dang ol' plastic 90 elbow that connects to the slave cylinder, and then start nodding as if they understand halfway through :D

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I wonder if the peak torque limiter is just a metered orifice that prevents you from dumping the clutch too quickly? If I recall, the IS300 and a few other cars have employed those for various reasons.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I wonder if the peak torque limiter is just a metered orifice that prevents you from dumping the clutch too quickly? If I recall, the IS300 and a few other cars have employed those for various reasons.
I believe you're correct. Lots of other cars have something like this, usually called a "clutch delay valve" or something similar. Just slows down the rate of application essentially. I personally wouldn't want this TSB on my car, they usually make the clutch feel worse. The real solution is to immediately get out of it if you're getting wheel hop....

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
This sounds like Ford’s low tech, non adjustable version of my fully adjustable Hitmaster Clutch Hit Control System.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
This sounds like Ford’s low tech, non adjustable version of my fully adjustable Hitmaster Clutch Hit Control System.
If that valve is still in your system, will it mess up or effectively alter you hit master settings ?

With your setup, would it be better to remove it completely ?

WD :like:
Sponsored