Sponsored

MT Head 2 Head - 2018 Camaro SS 1LE vs 2018 Mustang GT

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
The Mustang did win all 25 times they tested it in the mile long race.

Apparently it has serious legs.
It does and it did. But unless you are talking about street racing that metric has no merit. Its cool, but under 99% of the time you won't ever be in a situation to leverage that. At least not legally LOL
Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It does and it did. But unless you are talking about street racing that metric has no merit. Its cool, but under 99% of the time you won't ever be in a situation to leverage that. At least not legally LOL
Even though it's not my thing I know a lot of guys are into that.

It is a way to showcase the strength of the engine though, even hauling around the extra weight.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
As long as I can beat the tweener with the backwards baseball cap who’s revving his civic that only has a modded exhaust next to me at a red light while I stay in snow/wet mode purely for lolz, I’m happy. :p

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I see highway rolls happening more than track day comparisons. Blows your 99% theory out of the water. I would even venture to say there are more roll races than dig races, because the average guy cant launch/has bad timing.

I have no dog in the camaro vs mustang fight, but when it comes to experience from most of the owners, it will be on the street. either from a dig or roll (at any speed).

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
The 1LE has more areo and larger/heavier wheel/tire combo. I suspect this will impact the 1 mile run. A GT with PP2 will likely be slower in a 1 mile run to the PP1 for similar reasons.

I was not surprised by any of this. The Camaro 1LE is a more track focused car. I am sure the PP2 will fare better but for the majority of people choosing between these cars you are splitting hairs in terms of straightline speed and if you don't track the car much it comes down to the other intagibles.

I don't own a Mustang or Camaro but I think the Mustang is a far better looking car and a more functional daily driver. It's unfortunate that with that chasis GM did not change the styling more for the 6th gen and improve the poor visibility and claustraphobic cabin.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Maybe Ford needs to buy 5 full page ads in General-Motors Trend too.
They picked the GT350R over the ZL1 on the last Mustang/Camaro Head to Head. And without question too.

But face it, the Alpha chassis is superior. The underpinnings are lighter and just as rigid.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
They picked the GT350R over the ZL1 on the last Mustang/Camaro Head to Head. And without question too.

But face it, the Alpha chassis is superior. The underpinnings are lighter and just as rigid.
While the alpha chassis is great, the H2H you mentioned there, the ZL-1 was faster but not as fast as it's 100hp/200lb-ft advantage should have made it. The GT 350 proved it had more chassis than engine by gaining in every single corner.

So in the end, the ZL-1 won like it should have, as it's a pure numbers car, (like all gen6s more attention given to performance than everything else), the personal opinions of the writers don't mean that much. I mean the Ecoboost beat the V6 Camaro at everything except 0-60 in car and driver and they Picked the Camaro because it sounded better?:shrug:.

It wasn't an apples to apples comparison but it was the best Ford had at the time so I didn't complain, the ZL-1 won without needing a redo that we know about.

What I'm trying to say is the Mustang has not been hindered by it's chassis, It's been hindered by not having a hard core performance suspension. A Base SS is like having a PP1 with more HP and Torque. Add the 1le package and you are talking GT350 levels of performance vs comfort.

Now that the PP2 is here they needed to get one more win in before they have to do an apples to apples.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
The Mustang did win all 25 times they tested it in the mile long race.

Apparently it has serious legs.
The 1LE has more drag due to aero, so this will effect top speed. I wish they listed the times it took to get to the mile drag.:cheers:

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The 1LE has more drag due to aero, so this will effect top speed. I wish they listed the times it took to get to the mile drag.:cheers:
Because it's on dirt, I don't think time would be worth much.

Basically they wanted to see what the trap speeds were of each car after a mile.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure? You know it has more drag than the Mustang GT with PP? Source?

The ZL1 1LE certainly.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Are you sure? You know it has more drag than the Mustang GT with PP? Source?

I'd believe it but then again things surprise you sometimes. It would make sense at least since the 1LE has a bigger spoiler. But what people are also seriously missing from that equation is tire width...a huge tire patch, depending on the height and fascias of the car, creates enormous drag. The 1LE gotz some big gas meats on it and it's not like it's that low to the ground either.

What I do know is that the S197 coefficient of drag was abysmal. It was like .36 or something and the S550 was a 5% improvement or something. Which is peanuts. Actually crumbs of the peanuts.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd believe it but then again things surprise you sometimes. It would make sense at least since the 1LE has a bigger spoiler. But what people are also seriously missing from that equation is tire width...a huge tire patch, depending on the height and fascias of the car, creates enormous drag. The 1LE gotz some big gas meats on it and it's not like it's that low to the ground either.

What I do know is that the S197 coefficient of drag was abysmal. It was like .36 or something and the S550 was a 5% improvement or something. Which is peanuts. Actually crumbs of the peanuts.
I don't doubt it either, but claims like that without data deserve to be questioned.

metros11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SS 1LE
Chevy just doesn't have an answer to the base, non-PP GT.
Bingo :clap2:
I'm not quite sure if you guys have shopped a new Mustang lately, because I did. The base 2018 GT starts at $35,995 with delivery. It's missing things like automatic climate controls, voice commands, satellite radio, Android Auto and Apple Car play projection, and a couple other creature comforts (not to mention you get to stare at a calculator in the dash column). All these things are available with the 301A package and also come standard on the base Camaro. And it's not a coincidence that 301A is priced at exactly $2,000, because that brings the price up to $37,995... or exactly the same as a base Camaro SS. But at that price point you still get the better suspension, wheels, tires, brakes in the Camaro, and you get transmission and differential cooling!

Chevy might not have an answer to a base Mustang, but the value buy is with the Camaro.

Ford's pricing has gone up, but the content has not..thus the value of the Mustang is diminishing.
Unfortunately this is very much the case.

Reactions: 113

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm surprised more aren't objecting to the performance figures:

0-60
1/4 mile

Anyone know the trap speed?

These are just .1 better on each vs the 15 they tested.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Chevy might not have an answer to a base Mustang, but the value buy is with the Camaro if you don't care about visibility or ergonomics.
fixed
Sponsored