Sponsored

MT Head 2 Head - 2018 Camaro SS 1LE vs 2018 Mustang GT

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I'm not quite sure if you guys have shopped a new Mustang lately, because I did. The base 2018 GT starts at $35,995 with delivery. It's missing things like automatic climate controls, voice commands, satellite radio, Android Auto and Apple Car play projection, and a couple other creature comforts (not to mention you get to stare at a calculator in the dash column). All these things are available with the 301A package and also come standard on the base Camaro. And it's not a coincidence that 301A is priced at exactly $2,000, because that brings the price up to $37,995... or exactly the same as a base Camaro SS. But at that price point you still get the better suspension, wheels, tires, brakes in the Camaro, and you get transmission and differential cooling!

Chevy might not have an answer to a base Mustang, but the value buy is with the Camaro.

Unfortunately this is very much the case.
That's a good point but I think styling and practicality is more of an issue for Camaro vs Mustang. I know styling is personal preference, but I honestly find the Camaro exterior styling way more polarizing. The sight lines are terrible in the car and that reason alone may scare buyers away.
Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If it wasn't so damn small inside, I'd already have a 1LE SS. I'd get over the visibility issues.

No idea how they managed a cabin that small with the same exterior dimensions as the S550.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I'm not quite sure if you guys have shopped a new Mustang lately, because I did. The base 2018 GT starts at $35,995 with delivery. It's missing things like automatic climate controls, voice commands, satellite radio, Android Auto and Apple Car play projection, and a couple other creature comforts (not to mention you get to stare at a calculator in the dash column). All these things are available with the 301A package and also come standard on the base Camaro. And it's not a coincidence that 301A is priced at exactly $2,000, because that brings the price up to $37,995... or exactly the same as a base Camaro SS. But at that price point you still get the better suspension, wheels, tires, brakes in the Camaro, and you get transmission and differential cooling!

Chevy might not have an answer to a base Mustang, but the value buy is with the Camaro.

Unfortunately this is very much the case.
Ford knows what they are doing. 99% don't need transmission or differential cooling. Hell, there has been no mention of either being a problem on the PP1 at the track as of yet. Transmission and differential cooling sounds good...until you realize you don't need either. I have never felt short changed by my PP1 not having a trans or diff cooler.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Ford knows what they are doing. 99% don't need transmission or differential cooling. Hell, there has been no mention of either being a problem on the PP1 at the track as of yet. Transmission and differential cooling sounds good...until you realize you don't need either. I have never felt short changed by my PP1 not having a trans or diff cooler.
I believe there have been reports of 2016+ GTPP's having diff over-temp conditions.

The 2015's didn't have a temp sensor to begin with.

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Are you sure? You know it has more drag than the Mustang GT with PP? Source?

The ZL1 1LE certainly.
Data like this doesn’t exist, but just tire size alone will give drag over the gtpp. So no I don’t have data, but common sense is there. What data is there on drag with the gtpp?:cheers:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

[MENTION=32740]metros11[/MENTION] This. I agree it's great value and a damn fast and well-equipped car. I've driven two of the new SS. Each time I couldn't get over the visibility or a few of the interior ergo issues (mostly the vent placement...seriously wtf), nor is that interior or trunk big enough to live with outside of being a weekend-only or track car.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Diff coolers are needed on these cars, or frequent change intervals. They get HOT.

I believe there have been reports of 2016+ GTPP's having diff over-temp conditions.

Yep. I just change it frequently, but then again, I'm in the 5% who track their car semi regularly at a decent level.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Data like this doesn’t exist, but just tire size alone will give drag over the gtpp. So no I don’t have data, but common sense is there. What data is there on drag with the gtpp?:cheers:
If they test a GT w/PP1vs a GT w/PP2 I suspect you will see similar results for the 1 mile test.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

If there were...they were very few and far between, or else you would hear about it like you did on the GT350. I would assume the flogged the new PP1 pretty well at the track, and the new head to head didn't mention a thing about any issues.

Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If there were...they were very few and far between, or else you would hear about it like you did on the GT350. I would assume the flogged the new PP1 pretty well at the track, and the new head to head didn't mention a thing about any issues.
It's all over the tracking sub forum and other more track focused forums. The difference is there is no trigger to limp mode. It simply dings the warning for the diff temp.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Diff coolers are needed on these cars, or frequent change intervals. They get HOT.

Yep. I just change it frequently, but then again, I'm in the 5% who track their car semi regularly at a decent level.
I'd say you're one of the 2% (or less). Honestly, Ford is smart to leave off diff coolers. I know it sucks for people like you, but you aren't their target audience.

Why haven't you added a diff cooler yet?

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'd say you're one of the 2% (or less). Honestly, Ford is smart to leave off diff coolers. I know it sucks for people like you, but you aren't their target audience.

Oh I absolutely get why they don't have them, I agree. Minimal return on that per unit investment.

It'd just be nice to have them since the competition does, and I wouldn't have to pay to add them. :)

No I haven't yet, I'm doing frequent diff fluid replacement. Did it at 9k miles, then last year before the season started, and I'll do it this spring, and I'm upping it to 2 replacements this year adding one mid year since I'm upping my suspension mods.

*you asked WHY, not IF on the coolers.

#1 cost - I want them, just feel that there are other places that I want to spend the money first on this car (suspension, 4pt cage, seats, harnesses, etc)
#2 necessity - I think frequent fluid fills are more than 99% of people need. I think once the car comes more of a dedicated fun car and not my daily, I'll throw the coolers on.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

So, Ford actually seriously considered the trans and diff coolers for the GT PP. They decided against it as it was a ~$300 cost hit. I'd argue that it should've been an option or standard on the PP only, even if it increased the price of the PP by $500. I also agree that it absolutely should be on the PP2 cars, and that it's a serious miss to not include them on a package with only one intention.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Oh I absolutely get why they don't have them, I agree. Minimal return on that per unit investment.

It'd just be nice to have them since the competition does, and I wouldn't have to pay to add them. :)

No I haven't yet, I'm doing frequent diff fluid replacement. Did it at 9k miles, then last year before the season started, and I'll do it this spring, and I'm upping it to 2 replacements this year adding one mid year since I'm upping my suspension mods.
Totally understand. :thumbsup:
Sponsored