Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
That's because you have a '15 MY. Drive a '19 or newer with the upgrades. You will sing a different song.
And crappy gearing.

Billet fork pads, rail stops and carbon blocker rings. All things that will make it truly robust. Already have an MGW.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
And crappy gearing.

Billet fork pads, rail stops and carbon blocker rings. All things that will make it truly robust. Already have an MGW.
I for one like the 5/6 gear OD on the '19 MY. As for the MGW, I've had them in my Corvettes. Great shifters w/o question. Drove to the factory in AL twice to have them installed. One on the C6 Z06, the other the C7 Z06.

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
86k.

Its not that straightforward...I also prefer the gearing of the 15-17 MT82.
Honestly, that's not too terrible. Like yes, It shouldn't have blown up at all, but 86K out of an earlier unit isn't bad to me, especially if you give it the business on a regular basis.

And that's a fair point, I remember someone on here made it look easy, but I'm sure there's more to it than just a direct swap. The 15-17 gearing in the mt82 is also definitely pretty good. I don't HATE the D4 gearing, but you really need to wind it out to do anything.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Honestly, that's not too terrible. Like yes, It shouldn't have blown up at all, but 86K out of an earlier unit isn't bad to me, especially if you give it the business on a regular basis.

And that's a fair point, I remember someone on here made it look easy, but I'm sure there's more to it than just a direct swap. The 15-17 gearing in the mt82 is also definitely pretty good. I don't HATE the D4 gearing, but you really need to wind it out to do anything.
I mean it's not like I'm pushing 600+ whp and drag racing. Most of the 'hard driving' is just 2nd gear lol.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I mean it's not like I'm pushing 600+ whp and drag racing. Most of the 'hard driving' is just 2nd gear lol.
Yeah, but in realistic usage scenarios the 2nd gear synchro sees the most wear of any of the gears, so it tried it's hardest man haha

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Yeah, but in realistic usage scenarios the 2nd gear synchro sees the most wear of any of the gears, so it tried it's hardest man haha
Ford didn't give it much to defend itself with. I know it's not terribly uncommon, but plastic fork pads? They obviously went nuts on NVH concerns (as I know Ford does). That plus a clutch that struggles to release quickly at high rpm.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Ford didn't give it much to defend itself with. I know it's not terribly uncommon, but plastic fork pads? They obviously went nuts on NVH concerns (as I know Ford does). That plus a clutch that struggles to release quickly at high rpm.
Very true. I guess they know the car's normal buying demographic quite well when it comes to their obsession with NVH. With my MT-82, it actually performs the best if I'm banging gears at high RPM, everything feels exceptionally smooth at that point. With low speed short shifting there's sometimes soft notching/nibble going into 2nd or 3rd. The car has 4,400 miles so maybe the synchros are just wearing in, or something is going to explode. Oh well lol

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
it actually performs the best if I'm banging gears at high RPM, everything feels exceptionally smooth at that point. With low speed short shifting there's sometimes soft notching/nibble going into 2nd or 3rd.
I'm almost done with break-in, so I've only experienced the same notchiness/nibble you mentioned. Was afraid it was going to get worse at higher rpm, but glad to hear it's the contrary. The clutch makes it hard to shift smoothly too. But once fully hot, the tranny feels actually quite good, and it feels better now at almost 1K miles than new, so hopefully it'll keep improving. But at 4K+, the break-in should be almost over IMO. I'm going to change the fluid with the second oil change at 6K miles, and the Torsen as well, to get all the assembly and break-in crap out of there.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm almost done with break-in, so I've only experienced the same notchiness/nibble you mentioned. Was afraid it was going to get worse at higher rpm, but glad to hear it's the contrary. The clutch makes it hard to shift smoothly too. But once fully hot, the tranny feels actually quite good, and it feels better now at almost 1K miles than new, so hopefully it'll keep improving. But at 4K+, the break-in should be almost over IMO. I'm going to change the fluid with the second oil change at 6K miles, and the Torsen as well, to get all the assembly and break-in crap out of there.
I will say that when the trans is warmed up and I've driven for a while, it doesn't do it very often. Maybe I'm just not pressing the clutch in all the way, I'm not entirely sure since it's not consistent. I do agree that overall it feels very nice and is enjoyable to use. I might do an oil swap on the unit now that I have a few thousand on it, just to be anal retentive.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Very true. I guess they know the car's normal buying demographic quite well when it comes to their obsession with NVH. With my MT-82, it actually performs the best if I'm banging gears at high RPM, everything feels exceptionally smooth at that point. With low speed short shifting there's sometimes soft notching/nibble going into 2nd or 3rd. The car has 4,400 miles so maybe the synchros are just wearing in, or something is going to explode. Oh well lol
Yeah mine used to as well. After a few manual cars, this is the first to have any true failure. The worst I've had in 125,000+ mile each ownership with others is the clutch started to slip a smidge on occasion, but everything worked fine.

Full FUBAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
I have a 2020 GT
Did the Steeda Clutch spring ,much nicer
added the White-line shift bushing , another plus , I drilled a 1" hole and I don't notice any NVH.
As for lock out between 2 and 3rd never noticed it
Sponsored