Sponsored

MPT Tune Officially out

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly not sure, new to the whole professional car modding scene more or less. Basically the guy who dynoed it said my numbers should be lower than what we we would have gotten in the proper gears. Im doing a tune and xpipe in the next few weeks so i should be able to do a run in 5th gear soon, ill take it back to the same shop to compare and Ill let you know.
Should only be in 4th gear as that's where it is closest to 1:1 ratio, but glad you did a dyno before you modded unlike me. That way you can really see what each change brings (well, a lot better than I would).
Sponsored

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic V6
Vehicle Showcase
Should only be in 4th gear as that's where it is closest to 1:1 ratio, but glad you did a dyno before you modded unlike me. That way you can really see what each change brings (well, a lot better than I would).
Why would 4th gear be the optimal? on the Manual MT82 5th gear is a 1.0:1 and on the 6R80 Automatic which is what i have, 4th should be a 1.14:1 and 5th gear would be .87:1. heres the link to specs from the 6r80: http://www.f150hub.com/trans/6r80.html

And i mean i kinda got it dynoed "before" doing mods but i find it weird to be hitting 13.5 compression might be partly due to roush intake

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Why would 4th gear be the optimal? on the Manual MT82 5th gear is a 1.0:1 and on the 6R80 Automatic which is what i have, 4th should be a 1.14:1 and 5th gear would be .87:1. heres the link to specs from the 6r80: http://www.f150hub.com/trans/6r80.html

And i mean i kinda got it dynoed "before" doing mods but i find it weird to be hitting 13.5 compression might be partly due to roush intake
I was wondering about the 13.5:1 compression ratio. Air intake does not effect this at all. It's an internal fixed ratio, unless you physically mill material from the cylinder heads or change pistons. Factory CR should be 10.5:1

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering about the 13.5:1 compression ratio. Air intake does not effect this at all. It's an internal fixed ratio, unless you physically mill material from the cylinder heads or change pistons. Factory CR should be 10.5:1
you and me both fam, at WOT on the dyno they recorded a 13.5, i also can peak my MPG at 65mph in 6th gear or 45mph in 5th getting about 36 mpg on a flat road. I bought this car used tho, everything was stock, but i mean the car shifts way harder than other s550s i was looking at so no idea if it has a tune on it or not.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
you and me both fam, at WOT on the dyno they recorded a 13.5, i also can peak my MPG at 65mph in 6th gear or 45mph in 5th getting about 36 mpg on a flat road. I bought this car used tho, everything was stock, but i mean the car shifts way harder than other s550s i was looking at so no idea if it has a tune on it or not.
That makes sense - it's the Air / fuel Ratio - not the compression ratio.

Sponsored

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That makes sense - it's the Air / fuel Ratio - not the compression ratio.
wait so whats the difference between afr and compression. Havent managed to find a direct answer.

EDIT: wait nvm i found some information that should be accurate, compression should be max volume in cylinder when piston is down divided by the volume once the piston is at peak right

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
wait so whats the difference between afr and compression. Havent managed to find a direct answer.

EDIT: wait nvm i found some information that should be accurate, compression should be max volume in cylinder when piston is down divided by the volume once the piston is at peak right
Pretty much. Compression ratio is mechanical. Air / fuel ratio is the ratio of air to gas that is injected into the cylinders. This is controlled by the engine's computer by taking readings from different sensors (temp sensor, O2 sensor etc) and the computer adjusts the flow of fuel to try and keep the ratio at a set number. Keep in mind it fluctuates almost constantly.

There is a "perfect" A/F ratio for efficiency and then there is a 'perfect' A/F ratio for power. The higher the number the leaner (more air) and the lower the number it is richer (more gas). 14.7:1 is considered the 'perfect' ratio for efficiency sake (enough air to burn all the fuel present). When it comes to performance engines and tuning, most of the time a richer A/F ratio is considered safer than a lean mixture. Too lean of a mixture can hurt an engine faster than too rich of a mixture.

Simplified but valid.

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much. Compression ratio is mechanical. Air / fuel ratio is the ratio of air to gas that is injected into the cylinders. This is controlled by the engine's computer by taking readings from different sensors (temp sensor, O2 sensor etc) and the computer adjusts the flow of fuel to try and keep the ratio at a set number. Keep in mind it fluctuates almost constantly.

There is a "perfect" A/F ratio for efficiency and then there is a 'perfect' A/F ratio for power. The higher the number the leaner (more air) and the lower the number it is richer (more gas). 14.7:1 is considered the 'perfect' ratio for efficiency sake (enough air to burn all the fuel present). When it comes to performance engines and tuning, most of the time a richer A/F ratio is considered safer than a lean mixture. Too lean of a mixture can hurt an engine faster than too rich of a mixture.

Simplified but valid.
ahh, definitely good to know B)

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Can our cars run e85 with an mpt tune?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Need injectors and maybe a boost a pump, definitely injectors though. As for which injectors, I'd say ask MPT what they prefer.

High end would be 10-15hp out of it.

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Yes but unless your boosting the car it's an absolute waste of your time and money. The gains are negligible.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Yes but unless your boosting the car it's an absolute waste of your time and money. The gains are negligible.
Ok sounds good. Do you think the 87 tune is worth it? I like being able to use regular unleaded.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say do 87 and 93. 87 for when you're being cheap, 93 for when you want the best. I only run 93 now. Swapping between tunes takes about 5 minutes or so.

Forgot to mention the other big part for E85, your miles per tank will drop significantly. It may work out cheaper for the expense of gas at times, but you'll be getting high 100s to lower 200s per tank instead of mid to high 200s/low 300s. Just means you need to be more aware of your routes for trips and make sure the E85 you use is quality fuel.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
I'd say do 87 and 93. 87 for when you're being cheap, 93 for when you want the best. I only run 93 now. Swapping between tunes takes about 5 minutes or so.

Forgot to mention the other big part for E85, your miles per tank will drop significantly. It may work out cheaper for the expense of gas at times, but you'll be getting high 100s to lower 200s per tank instead of mid to high 200s/low 300s. Just means you need to be more aware of your routes for trips and make sure the E85 you use is quality fuel.
↑ This right here.

But once you realize the difference between the octane tunes yo will never want to put 87 back in your car again. The difference between 93 and 87 is substantial in every aspect.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
↑ This right here.

But once you realize the difference between the octane tunes yo will never want to put 87 back in your car again. The difference between 93 and 87 is substantial in every aspect.
Haha, ok sounds good. I think I want to dial in my suspension before I move on to more power mods. I'm installing some Koni oranges soon, and after that I plan on getting a set of sway bars, then wheels and tires.
Sponsored