I heard slower than GT350
If they don't release the lap times from a track day, something VERY wrong
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You heard slower than a GT350 from where?

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Yeah because the 350 does 140’s in the uphill S’s ... lmao . Jealous people are stupid . Given just the uphill S and straight performance from that article it’s almost certain it’s a sub 2 minute time for the BASE car which obliterates even the 350R .

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They are just working on editing all the video for Motor Trend on demand - is my assumption. They will release the track lap time information sometime after the video goes live.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
This debate always comes up and someone always gets butthurt because they want their non carbon

Everyone thinks they are right and honestly, I've been seeing this same argument play out since the 350. People who bought the Non-R want to feel good and justify saving a few bucks by claiming that it's only tires or whatever...and people with Rs or CFTP want to justify their purchase by insisting that there's more to it. I'll just say this - I don't care if the non R 350 or the base 500 is 70..or even 95% of the top tier with tires. It has ALWAYS been that last 5% (or whatever number makes your butt hurt less) that is the most expensive and potentially even diminishing returns. As far as just tires - it's tires and the more aggressive tuning to take advantage of them, IMO ;)

These are all great cars...that said, I prefer the CFTP and 350R because of a number of reasons..that last 5% and certainly resale value..you can hardly argue that. I'll just say this:
tenor.gif
Well said. there's been some interesting arguments here over the years. Those that sprung for the Carbon wheels insist there's magic pixie dust included with the cars, those that chose not to get the carbon, say there's not that much difference.

Last edited:

Sponsored

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
They are just working on editing all the video for Motor Trend on demand - is my assumption. They will release the track lap time information sometime after the video goes live.
Yep motortrend wants clicks and cash . Sometimes the simplest answer is the best .

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yep motortrend wants clicks and cash . Sometimes the simplest answer is the best .
I agree with you but I would also say that I think their videos are good. I subscribe.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
how long do they usully take, from print to video?
I'm not sure. I'm usually not aware of when the actual testing occurs.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well said. there's been some interesting arguments here over the years. Those that sprung for the Carbon wheels insist there's magic pixie dust included with the cars, those that chose not to get the carbon, say there's not that much difference.
I have a non-R and wish everyday I got an R. They look better and wish I had those wheels after reading about the benefits vs a forged aluminum wheel. So I’m in the middle and appreciate the R and the probably diminishing returns.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm glad I didn't have to deal with CF wheels on my GT350. No worries of damage with daily use and no hassle come tire change time in trying to find a qualified installer. Same goes for the GT500. I much prefer the utility of an aftermarket forging such as those from Forgeline and am considering something from Terrance as well. CF for interior and exterior aero pieces but no way do I want a wheel made from it, at least until the cost of them to purchase on their own and replace comes down to earth.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
E: I, on the other hand, am looking forward to how it drives with the CF wheels, and of course, how they look. I'll be as careful with them as I can but we all know how that goes. Still, why buy them if you're not gonna drive them I figure.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's all about your own perspective. You got one life to live and if money is no concern then blaze up and put those wheels to the test!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm glad I didn't have to deal with CF wheels on my GT350. No worries of damage with daily use and no hassle come tire change time in trying to find a qualified installer. Same goes for the GT500. I much prefer the utility of an aftermarket forging such as those from Forgeline and am considering something from Terrance as well. CF for interior and exterior aero pieces but no way do I want a wheel made from it, at least until the cost of them to purchase on their own and replace comes down to earth.
I never regretted my choice to buy a non-R GT350 and use the "extra" money for track days and consumables. I also never regretted running Pilot SS tires instead of Cup 2s. I still had to buy quite a few tires in the 3 1/2 years I owned the car. I do wish I had realized how much of a PITA the lack of coolers would be, though.