More specs/numbers from Q&A with Ford

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Chris; You and I both know that Ford eliminated the Spare Tire to "Save Money" times hundreds of thousands of Units and replaced them with inexpensive $5 mini air-inflarors and a can of tire sealant instead. The weight savings was a (plus) the "money" savings was paramount!
There is probably more truth to that then I would like to believe, though the initial disappearance in Hybrids suggests it is also due to space and weight...
Sponsored

EiBStudent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta
And I think that they're still wrong in the aluminum carrier for manual applications. Manual transmission applications can see up to 2X the instantaneous impact shock in a drag launch compared to a torque convertor car. They'll need the iron axle behind the 5.0L manual (it doesn't make sense not to use the strongest version in the most severe application), but how they combined the lesser (loading) powertrains is anybody's guess.
Just read this from C&D blog
http://blog.caranddriver.com/2015-f...-know-about-its-v-6-v-8-and-ecoboost-engines/

"Ford’s in-house final drive was also reworked, with the company fitting 9.8-inch differential internals in an 8.8-inch-sized unit with a stiffer ring, pinion, and case. Those hurting from the loss of an ultra-durable live rear axle should find salve for their wounds in that fact. Manual-transmission cars use an iron differential carrier to combat the impact loads of high-rpm manual shifts, whereas the automatic cars have an aluminum carrier. Both manual and automatic cars employ an aluminum differential cover. For the record, the iron carrier is 24 pounds heavier than the aluminum one."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
A question about the weight distribution.
Presently the battery is in the engine compartment near the firewall.
How would you go about calculating the weight distribution by putting the battery in the trunk?
Lots of race cars have the battery in the trunk but what got me to thinking about it is because the Cadillac CTS-V mounts the battery in the trunk.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
A question about the weight distribution.
Presently the battery is in the engine compartment near the firewall.
How would you go about calculating the weight distribution by putting the battery in the trunk?
Lots of race cars have the battery in the trunk but what got me to thinking about it is because the Cadillac CTS-V mounts the battery in the trunk.
I did a quick look for anyone that had experience doing this with the S197. Looks like the battery weighed 32 pounds. So the S550 GT weighs 3,705lbs with a 53/47 dist. That's 1,963 over the front and 1,741 out back. Move 32 pounds rearward and you end up with 1931 F / 1774 R, 52/48 with some rounding.

http://www.themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=510416&styleid=28

Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Just read this from C&D blog
http://blog.caranddriver.com/2015-f...-know-about-its-v-6-v-8-and-ecoboost-engines/

"Ford’s in-house final drive was also reworked, with the company fitting 9.8-inch differential internals in an 8.8-inch-sized unit with a stiffer ring, pinion, and case. Those hurting from the loss of an ultra-durable live rear axle should find salve for their wounds in that fact. Manual-transmission cars use an iron differential carrier to combat the impact loads of high-rpm manual shifts, whereas the automatic cars have an aluminum carrier. Both manual and automatic cars employ an aluminum differential cover. For the record, the iron carrier is 24 pounds heavier than the aluminum one."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing. This sums up what I've known/suspected all along. That explains some of the weight gain differences, and in the case of the manual trans, its at least aiding the f/r distribution, even if its also adding overall.

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Yikes, I`m order the Optional Spare Tire & Jack Assembly Option # 13D. Thats going to ruin everything!
Speaking if spare tire, what hell with auto industries, we have to paid for spare tire, thought government make spare tire as mandatory not optional.

Btw I have to buy spare tire for my 13' FFH :((

langweiler

Threads
Reaction score
Let's face it, it is not like the Ford engineers are going to open up the hood and discover a 400lb brick of lead that they forgot to take out. I would liken this to the process of improving the speed of CPU's (which I have experience with in my work with Intel through the years). The number of issues that you may have to fix to tangibly improve the operating frequency (hypothetical of course) would typically look something like this:

First 100MHz improvement - 1-2 issues
Second 100MHz improvement - 10-15 issues
Third 100MHz improvement - 45-60 issues

and so on, once you get over that initial hump of improving something, the number of things that you have to fix to get the same level of improvement will go up dramatically. You are going to have similar issues with reducing the weight on cell phones, or pretty much any other device where weight is a factor.

I think it is fair to say that every component on a car like the Mustang would be evaluated for it's impact on weight as well as the other factors like enabling performance, handling, comfort, safety and so on. Compound that with their need to meet various regulations for safety and emissions which typically add weight, and the problem becomes yet more complex. I would expect that getting a 5lb improvement on a single component that is not an engine, frame or body panel is a significant gain which is why they highlighted it, and also why you see more and more that "optional" items that are seldom used like spare tires are being left out (much to my personal displeasure...).

Hope this clears up my perspective at least, cheers!

Chris
I did a quick look for anyone that had experience doing this with the S197. Looks like the battery weighed 32 pounds. So the S550 GT weighs 3,705lbs with a 53/47 dist. That's 1,963 over the front and 1,741 out back. Move 32 pounds rearward and you end up with 1931 F / 1774 R, 52/48 with some rounding.

http://www.themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=510416&styleid=28

:doh: i remember i had a BMW 5 series and it had the battery under the backseat....that was in 2003.
pls, fire that polish designer.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
My 2010 Challenger has a 50/50 distribution...believe it or not it's even on the build sheet. The battery is in the trunk.

...50/50 doesn't help it though lol

langweiler

Threads
Reaction score
My 2010 Challenger has a 50/50 distribution...believe it or not it's even on the build sheet. The battery is in the trunk.

...50/50 doesn't help it though lol
sure when it´s overweight as hell.
beside, the Camaro has it´s battery also in the trunk where the spare tire was placed before.....
[ame]

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
sure when it´s overweight as hell.
beside, the Camaro has it´s battery also in the trunk where the spare tire was placed before.....
Lol my poor piggy...oh well can't wait to see her go....Damn wheel hop....
Sponsored