Sponsored

More specs/numbers from Q&A with Ford

Melino

There's some more info in this Q&A Session with Ford from R&T: http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/futu...e-numbers?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1459_72922700

135 hp/liter and other interesting 2015 Ford Mustang numbers

Dearborn’s new pony, down to the nitty-gritty.

“Getting power while meeting emission regulations; this is now a game of inches,” a Ford engineer says, holding up a cylinder head from the 2015 Mustang GT’s 435-hp V8. The intake valves on the latest version of the 5.0-liter engine, he explains, are .011 inches larger than those on the old Boss 302.

So much for hyperbole, huh?

The latest Mustang is the most important ever, and that’s exactly why Ford has brought us to its Dearborn Development Center for a brief Q&A session. Along with official horsepower and weight figures, here are some other interesting numbers we coaxed from a group of 2015 Mustang powertrain and chassis engineers.

52 (percent)
Though it gains a few pounds compared with the outgoing model, this 2015 Mustang carries its burden more evenly. In EcoBoost guise, weight distribution is 52/48 front-to-rear; wearing 5.0 trim, it’s slightly more nose-heavy at 53/47. Still, that’s a vast improvement over the previous 57/43 split, and the closest any production Mustang has ever come to perfect 50/50 allocation.

135 (hp/liter)

With 310 hp, the 2.3-liter EcoBoost Mustang now lays claim to the highest specific output of any Ford production car, ever. That’s 7 hp more per liter than the $34,990 Volkswagen Golf R we drove last year. There are plenty of choice bits in this oversquared (87.5x94) mill—forged rods, Mahle pistons, a 5-bearing crank, a twin-scroll turbo, sodium-filled exhaust valves, steel ring carriers, and a composite cam cover. Tuners will have a field day with this one.

911 (Porsche)

Ford says it benchmarked the 2015 Mustang GT against Stuttgart’s ass-engined hero, as well as the venerated BMW M3. While company reps wouldn’t divulge lap deltas between its newest pony and those German thoroughbreds, one Dearborn engineer confirmed a rumor we’ve been hearing for a year: When equipped with the Performance Pack, the 2015 Mustang GT becomes “consistently faster” around a track than the departed Boss 302. This comes thanks to numerous changes, including a lightweight aluminum hood/fender combo, the long awaited IRS and Torsen rear, and new control arm-mounted deflectors that create brake-cooling air channels, a la the Boss 302 Laguna Seca. We’re also told to expect the ’15 GT to offer “at least equal or better” raw numbers for stopping distance and skidpad grip when compared against the 302.

9 Âľ (inches)
That’s the size of the new, beefier axles in the Mustang GT—aluminum pieces for manual transmission models, iron for autos. Ford says these components still fit within its tried-and-true 8.8 packaging and that, in order to offset weight gain, the GT automatic uses a redesigned torque converter that’s 5 lbs lighter than the 2014 equivalent.

4250 (rpm)
All of the new Mustang GT’s 400 lb-ft of torque arrive before 4300 rpm, with peak power arriving at 6500 rpm, prior to a 7000 rpm redline. Most impressive, though, are the cylinder heads: Ford says the 5,0’s new cast units flow at the same rate as the Boss 302’s CNC pieces. Achieving this took over 100 redesigns of the intake and exhaust ports (Ford tried 4 designs before settling on the original Coyote V8 back in 2011) and a new intake cam design, which has been pinched from the perilous, track-only Cobra Jet.

Oh, and we got a chance to hear the 2015 GT in person, at full-tilt, under load. Verdict? The same sensual, gravel-raking battle cry we’ve come to know and love.
Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Sold lol although peak HP and TQ numbers are exactly the same as the previous 5.0

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now I also wonder if that weight distribution is with the PP as it has a bit of added weight up front due to the radiator, suspension bits and brakes. Unfortunately I would think it is not :( also I have no idea where they got the 57/43 weight distribution figure for the last gt? last gt was 54/46 and the boss was 55/45

Great news. :headbang:
lol why is that head rockin great news? it's the same peak rpm as the last engine. Yea I agree its good news they kept it there and not any higher but great news to me would have been getting it a tad lower imo. Hopefully the tq figures before peak are improved more dramatically

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
lol why is that head rockin great news? it's the same peak rpm as the last engine. Yea I agree its good news they kept it there and not any higher but great news to me would have been getting it a tad lower imo. Hopefully the tq figures before peak are improved more dramatically
I'm not talking about peak power.

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
9 Âľ (inches)
That’s the size of the new, beefier axles in the Mustang GT—aluminum pieces for manual transmission models, iron for autos. Ford says these components still fit within its tried-and-true 8.8 packaging and that, in order to offset weight gain, the GT automatic uses a redesigned torque converter that’s 5 lbs lighter than the 2014 equivalent.

So is this the same as the F150 axles?

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not talking about peak power.
:crazy:

Neither am I...pretty sure I only mentioned TQ. Might want to re-read my post lol peak TORQUE is at the same rpm as the last generation.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Now I also wonder if that weight distribution is with the PP as it has a bit of added weight up front due to the radiator, suspension bits and brakes. Unfortunately I would think it is not :( also I have no idea where they got the 57/43 weight distribution figure for the last gt? last gt was 54/46 and the boss was 55/45

Slightly more weight over the rear and improved HP/TQ and lower center of gravity means theoretically better 0-60 times and 1/4 miles times. :)

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully the tq figures before peak are improved more dramatically
Sorry you misunderstood, this is what I meant and hope this happens too.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
9 Âľ (inches)

So is this the same as the F150 axles?
I think that the writers probably mean is that the axle shafts themselves are the same size as the 9.75" axle. The other articles point to the "Super 8.8" as still retaining an 8.8" ring gear pitch diameter, but some areas - I'm guessing shafts and bearings - beefed up. They probably adopted the spline & bearing sizes from the 9.75" truck axle, but there's no way that they're using the whole 9.75. I've worked with both 8.8 and 9.75 first hand, and the carrier we've seen in the photos is neither. It's likely a hybrid of features from both.

And I think that they're still wrong in the aluminum carrier for manual applications. Manual transmission applications can see up to 2X the instantaneous impact shock in a drag launch compared to a torque convertor car. They'll need the iron axle behind the 5.0L manual (it doesn't make sense not to use the strongest version in the most severe application), but how they combined the lesser (loading) powertrains is anybody's guess.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry you misunderstood, this is what I meant and hope this happens too.
I misunderstood?:confused: you're the one who misread my post thinking i was talking about power. Sorry but I understand completely the intention behind it because I thought the same originally. But we have yet to see the tq curve before hand, it could have the exact curve as the previous gen just improved corresponding to the increased peak tq. Again I see good news, great news would be sharing what happens before 4250 :) but more than likely it is improved due to the engine and intake changes. I still just want more info lol I never expected the tq to come in later in the rpm band anyhow. I expected peak to come in a little before then.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
I misunderstood?:confused: you're the one who misread my post thinking i was talking about power. Sorry but I understand completely the intention behind it because I thought the same originally. But we have yet to see the tq curve before hand, it could have the exact curve as the previous gen just improved corresponding to the increased peak tq. Again I see good news, great news would be sharing what happens before 4250 :) but more than likely it is improved due to the engine and intake changes. I still just want more info lol I never expected the tq to come in later in the rpm band anyhow. I expected peak to come in a little before then.
My bad, skipped the last sentence in your 1st post. Yes, what is under the 4250? :)

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
I am interested in the weight distribution of the V6....... Any guesses?
Sponsored