c3po

CNCforlife
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion- company car
I am interested in the weight distribution of the V6....... Any guesses?

I believe it was stated at 52/48- same as the EB. (They're only a few pounds apart)

EiBStudent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta
And I think that they're still wrong in the aluminum carrier for manual applications. Manual transmission applications can see up to 2X the instantaneous impact shock in a drag launch compared to a torque convertor car. They'll need the iron axle behind the 5.0L manual (it doesn't make sense not to use the strongest version in the most severe application), but how they combined the lesser (loading) powertrains is anybody's guess.
This is from media.ford.com
Some of the other components now made of aluminum include the rear suspension knuckles, rear axle housing on automatic transmission cars, rear control arms and rear brake calipers.
It would be strange to have aluminum axle pieces on the GT and not the auto when they've stated only the autos would get a aluminum casing.

Sponsored

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
Maybe its just (me) but I think some Folks are getting a bit "anal" and "obsessive" when they dwell on 5 lb. weight reduction differences of a Torque Converter...just saying.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Maybe its just (me) but I think some Folks are getting a bit "anal" and "obsessive" when they dwell on 5 lb. weight reduction differences of a Torque Converter...just saying.
Yes, but this speaks to the individual efforts which all combine to make a superior car. If they did not get anal about the small things then you will get the death by 1000 paper cuts that lead to larger weight gain. From one part, 5lbs sounds pretty significant and I suspect it was a non-trivial effort to get that 5lbs.

Chris

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, but this speaks to the individual efforts which all combine to make a superior car. If they did not get anal about the small things then you will get the death by 1000 paper cuts that lead to larger weight gain. From one part, 5lbs sounds pretty significant and I suspect it was a non-trivial effort to get that 5lbs.

Chris
Yikes, I`m order the Optional Spare Tire & Jack Assembly Option # 13D. Thats going to ruin everything!

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Yikes, I`m order the Optional Spare Tire & Jack Assembly Option # 13D. Thats going to ruin everything!
I think you are missing the point that I was making, or maybe you just did not care :). I plan on ordering a spare tire also, because weight is not the most important thing to me, but again that is not the point.

I was speaking as an engineer and the effort of improving a product over time becomes more (or dramatically more) the longer you have been working on that particular problem. Let's face it, it is not like the Ford engineers are going to open up the hood and discover a 400lb brick of lead that they forgot to take out. I would liken this to the process of improving the speed of CPU's (which I have experience with in my work with Intel through the years). The number of issues that you may have to fix to tangibly improve the operating frequency (hypothetical of course) would typically look something like this:

First 100MHz improvement - 1-2 issues
Second 100MHz improvement - 10-15 issues
Third 100MHz improvement - 45-60 issues

and so on, once you get over that initial hump of improving something, the number of things that you have to fix to get the same level of improvement will go up dramatically. You are going to have similar issues with reducing the weight on cell phones, or pretty much any other device where weight is a factor.

I think it is fair to say that every component on a car like the Mustang would be evaluated for it's impact on weight as well as the other factors like enabling performance, handling, comfort, safety and so on. Compound that with their need to meet various regulations for safety and emissions which typically add weight, and the problem becomes yet more complex. I would expect that getting a 5lb improvement on a single component that is not an engine, frame or body panel is a significant gain which is why they highlighted it, and also why you see more and more that "optional" items that are seldom used like spare tires are being left out (much to my personal displeasure...).

Hope this clears up my perspective at least, cheers!

Chris

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Decreasing rotating mass improves throttle response. The torque converter acts as a flywheel for the crankshaft. A lighter flywheel has less inertia, and can accelerate (or decelerate) more quickly.

This might be one of the biggest "bang for your buck" changes they could have made, in terms of driver experience.

Focustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I think you are missing the point that I was making, or maybe you just did not care :). I plan on ordering a spare tire also, because weight is not the most important thing to me, but again that is not the point.

I was speaking as an engineer and the effort of improving a product over time becomes more (or dramatically more) the longer you have been working on that particular problem. Let's face it, it is not like the Ford engineers are going to open up the hood and discover a 400lb brick of lead that they forgot to take out. I would liken this to the process of improving the speed of CPU's (which I have experience with in my work with Intel through the years). The number of issues that you may have to fix to tangibly improve the operating frequency (hypothetical of course) would typically look something like this:

and so on, once you get over that initial hump of improving something, the number of things that you have to fix to get the same level of improvement will go up dramatically. You are going to have similar issues with reducing the weight on cell phones, or pretty much any other device where weight is a factor.

I think it is fair to say that every component on a car like the Mustang would be evaluated for it's impact on weight as well as the other factors like enabling performance, handling, comfort, safety and so on. Compound that with their need to meet various regulations for safety and emissions which typically add weight, and the problem becomes yet more complex. I would expect that getting a 5lb improvement on a single component that is not an engine, frame or body panel is a significant gain which is why they highlighted it, and also why you see more and more that "optional" items that are seldom used like spare tires are being left out (much to my personal displeasure...).

Chris
Um... You realize that you're responding in a serious tone to a joke that was meant to be ludicrous, right?

Your points are correct, but nearly everyone on this forum already gets it.

It's all about more content, more safety equipment, more solidity, and the sum of many big and little weight-saving measures to offset them.

I do like your point of the exponential increase of investment vs. gain ratio when it comes to implementing certain improvements. Very true in any engineering field.

As for me, I know that goose down is very light, and I think that stuffing the doors and fender voids with this miraculous material would lighten the car. (What?) My advisor has just informed me that we can fill those voids with bags of helium instead of goose down. I think we have our solution.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Chris
Chris; You and I both know that Ford eliminated the Spare Tire to "Save Money" times hundreds of thousands of Units and replaced them with inexpensive $5 mini air-inflarors and a can of tire sealant instead. The weight savings was a (plus) the "money" savings was paramount!

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Um... You realize that you're responding in a serious tone to a joke that was meant to be ludicrous, right?
If you read post 21 I am not so sure it was totally a joke... :shrug:

As for me, I know that goose down is very light, and I think that stuffing the doors and fender voids with this miraculous material would lighten the car. (What?) My advisor has just informed me that we can fill those voids with bags of helium instead of goose down. I think we have our solution.
LOL! I agree with the Helium, maybe if we just filled the whole passenger compartment with Helium, then the weight would go down due to the lifting factor... hmmm...
Sponsored