Sponsored

More easily lock the vehicle while running?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah......

If you start the car, get out, lock it, but someone walks up and swipes the handle, can they get in and drive away?

Lemme go try.
you need the FOB to unlock it.
Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Along the same line, I need to try starting and unlocking with the Ford Pass app, can it be driven with no fob?. I keep 1 fob in my work truck, the other is always in my pocket, even though it's a weekend car. If there was an emergency (fire) can someone drive it out of harms way if I remotely start and unlock? I need to try this.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Along the same line, I need to try starting and unlocking with the Ford Pass app, can it be driven with no fob?. I keep 1 fob in my work truck, the other is always in my pocket, even though it's a weekend car. If there was an emergency (fire) can someone drive it out of harms way if I remotely start and unlock? I need to try this.
i know when I start it and walk away with the fob...it honks twice when i close the door....but I never checked if it was locked or if I could drive it without the fob in the car.

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
hmmmm.....curious minds....what if you leave the car running and go in your home with the fob. I've done this plenty of times when warming up the stang. Can someone drive off if the fob is in range? Or would it lock out when put into drive (if fob is not in the car)....or first for the manual?
If you don't lock the car, then yes it can get stolen lol. The key needs to be within about 3 feet of the car to unlock it with the touch sensors (which do work with the car running). Seems like some new '21-'22 cars (mainly Explorers as I found out) can prevent you from going out of park unless the key is in the car, but those vehicles have the rotary shift dial knob thingamajig. Mustangs haven't and probably won't get such feature until the next gen, if Ford decides to implement it.

Negative, you have to have the key in the car and push the start button to "fully" be in run.

However, remote starting a car with a fob still in there and someone decides to try and steal it - the car will probably see that fob and allow them to drive off. I haven't tested that out personally, nor has any customer said anything about it, but that's my best educated guess lol.

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
If for some reason you REALLY must lock the car while it's running and leave keys in it ( which makes no sense ) leave a second key fob wrapped tightly in tin foil and hidden in the car.
On my '21 Explorer I have a keypad on the B pillar. So if I lost my key fob, I could use the combination , let myself in, and find and unwrap the hidden fob. I already tried it and it works. Some people people buy a "Faraday Bag" which does the same thing. People who have very expensive cars use them to shield the fobs from being hacked by thiefs. But since Mustangs don't have the keypad, you'd be in quite a fix.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
As far as I know on these cars, the key is only necessary to start the engine. After that, you can do whatever and drive however far until you shut it off again. If someone gets in when it's running, they're the new owner, lol. Yeah, it will complain no key is detected, but that's about it. Maybe the auto cars are different though?

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
I hope inside is your house and not your car lol. I'd honestly just toss it in the front yard or something. Or walk 10 feet away, hit lock once, sit the key down, and then try to unlock.
i dont think you can lock your kets in the car. i tried this on my '18 explorer and i assume it works the same way on the mustang. but if i dropped the key inside the car, it would not allow me to lock the door. i intentionally left the key on the seat, cupholder, floor, etc and tried locking the car and it would not let me until i removed the key from the inside of the vehicle. i havent tested on the mustang, i assumed it worked the same way.

also though OP, i can lock the car while it's running with the key fob. i hear the door mechanism move and i have left the key far away and walked up to the car and tried to open it and it was locked. if yours does not do this, i would check your settings via the dash. i second the advice to click the lock button twice and get the honk, i always do that, just one of my few OCD quirks i guess.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
As far as I know on these cars, the key is only necessary to start the engine. After that, you can do whatever and drive however far until you shut it off again. If someone gets in when it's running, they're the new owner, lol. Yeah, it will complain no key is detected, but that's about it. Maybe the auto cars are different though?
i had a second key fob programmed and cut by a local shop and he told me this exact thing. if the car is running and someone gets in and drives off, the car will continue running until it's shut off, runs out of gas, whatever else. i specifically asked if the vehicle will detect that the key is out of range and shut off and he told me no (makes sense why).

also, i can one up ya'll with your trunks, i locked my keys in my 95 back in high school with the engine running at a friend's house. told him to wait outside with my car while it sat there idling the entire time a different friend drove me home to grab my spare key :cwl::cwl:

Iconicgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Doesn’t it auto lock if you get out of running car with fob on you? That’s always what I thought the horn honking was.

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I once accidentally locked my old Audi key in the trunk, so I bet its possible. I had the key buried in a range bag while I was out at a public outdoor range. When I went to open the trunk it popped open but once the bag was shoved into the trunk, the car couldn't detect it. Had to get my wife to come with the spare.
You cannot lock a fob in the trunk. We were travelling last year and I took the spare fob in case mine died. I didn’t think much about it until I put my bag in the trunk and closed it, whereupon it immediately popped the lock. I thought I hadn’t closed it hard enough. On repeat I realized it was because of the fob, which I removed and then the trunk locked. I haven’t tried it but you probably can’t lock the doors with a fob inside, even if you do so with another fob.

OP
OP
ing3nious

ing3nious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mom mobile
You cannot lock a fob in the trunk. We were travelling last year and I took the spare fob in case mine died. I didn’t think much about it until I put my bag in the trunk and closed it, whereupon it immediately popped the lock. I thought I hadn’t closed it hard enough. On repeat I realized it was because of the fob, which I removed and then the trunk locked. I haven’t tried it but you probably can’t lock the doors with a fob inside, even if you do so with another fob.
If your fob is buried deep enough in a bag with enough junk surrounding it, the car won't be able to read the RFID from the fob. You can test this if you take your fob and put it in an ESD bag (like what EZPass gives you or computer parts come in) or wrap it in tinfoil. I promise you its possible to lock it in the trunk. Under normal conditions with a new battery its probably highly unlikely but trust me I've done it on another car. Its not like Ford has black magic when it comes to key fobs, its just basic interference.

OP
OP
ing3nious

ing3nious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mom mobile
Nope. It's just warning you that the car is vulnerable basically lol
Clearly Ford needs to explain this better to us 😅

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Long story short, if the car is fully on and for example already driven. You can drive away with no key fob but once you turn the car off....that's it....you need the fob again.
I always keep my fob attached to my belt loop so I can leave the car on, run into 711 and hear the annoying double beep, go buy some snacks and hop back in and drive away.
The doors will automatically lock but not sure how close you need to be to unlock since my fob is always on me.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Long story short, if the car is fully on and for example already driven. You can drive away with no key fob but once you turn the car off....that's it....you need the fob again.
I always keep my fob attached to my belt loop so I can leave the car on, run into 711 and hear the annoying double beep, go buy some snacks and hop back in and drive away.
The doors will automatically lock but not sure how close you need to be to unlock since my fob is always on me.
The doors don't automatically lock, nor automatically unlock. The double honk signifies the vehicle no longer recognizes a fob and is running. That's it.

As far as it being annoying, you can disable that with Forscan. You can also turn on police mode, which I've done, and it won't allow your vehicle to be shifted out of park until it recognizes a fob.
Sponsored