Sponsored

Mobility kit vs. Spare tire

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Regardless of the tire, the wheel in the AA kit is stamped with a 50 mph limit.
Sponsored

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
This is directly from the manufacturer:
"The tire has a 99 mph rating and a 30,000 mile tread life."

Last edited:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is directly from the manufacturer:
"The tire has a 99 mph rating and a 30,000 mile tread life."
Sure. And this effects the rating that the wheel manufacturer defined for their product how?

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
Sure. And this effects the rating that the wheel manufacturer defined for their product how?
I don't know what wheel you have but nowhere on my mine is it stamped 50 mph max. Nothing in the directions either. Not that I care because it's only being driven to the tire shop. But, it's interesting if yours is stamped.
15912396075752067062341392604985.jpg

Last edited:

Ronin47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG BULLITT K4675 2020 INFINITI Q50 RS 400
No markings?? Chinese made tire?

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know what wheel you have but nowhere on my mine is it stamped 50 mph max. Nothing in the directions either. Not that I care because it's only being driven to the tire shop. But, it's interesting if yours is stamped.
15912396075752067062341392604985.jpg
It looks like they're getting parts from different suppliers.

Your wheel has no markings. The wheel in my trunk is stamped "EMERGENCY USE ONLY". The one on their website is stamped with the emergency notation and the speed limit:

spare_tire_in_trunk_1024x1024.jpg

In addition, I have a Chinese Tri-Ace tire on mine, as opposed to the Continental that's shown on the website. Looks to be luck of the draw.

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
It looks like they're getting parts from different suppliers.

Your wheel has no markings. The wheel in my trunk is stamped "EMERGENCY USE ONLY". The one on their website is stamped with the emergency notation and the speed limit:

spare_tire_in_trunk_1024x1024.jpg

In addition, I have a Chinese Tri-Ace tire on mine, as opposed to the Continental that's shown on the website. Looks to be luck of the draw.
I also have the Tri-ace. Looks like a pretty stout tire I emailed them and they said the stamped wheel shown on their site was a first generation and there is no limit on my wheel. Like I said it doesn't really matter to me, as this will be used rarely. It's not like we're going to be running road races with it.

Last edited:

Ronin47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got confirmation from AA about the tire rating and its a 113Q rating. A tire developed by them. So I am going to purchase a set despite the exchange rate being ridiculous at this time. I really don't want to be stranded with the mobility kit on the road waiting for sum'bitch tow truck driver destroying my front end.

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
Just got confirmation from AA about the tire rating and its a 113Q rating. A tire developed by them. So I am going to purchase a set despite the exchange rate being ridiculous at this time. I really don't want to be stranded with the mobility kit on the road waiting for sum'bitch tow truck driver destroying my front end.
That's my feeling. ANY spare tire is better than the alternative. Even if you use the pump/goo it screws up the TPMS and makes a mess inside the tire.

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
ANY spare tire is better than the alternative. Even if you use the pump/goo it screws up the TPMS and makes a mess inside the tire.
Not all 'goops' do that, but some can. I assume Ford doesn't. My daughter just had a flat, and had to use her factory goop (Hyundai), and her sensor worked perfectly fine even before replacing the tire. The trick is to blow air after removing the goop, to clean sensor. Having said that, I'd also leave the goop as a last resort. My dilemma is if I just can't fit a damaged rear tire into the trunk while traveling, what the heck do you do? Leave your luggage on the side of the road? I guess that could be a better option than stay overnight if you have no cell service, but not a nice option. Ha ha. Still debating if I'll buy a spare or not. So far, have never needed one in my 58 years. And I'm VERY careful where I tread, but still, I understand there's always a chance of getting a flat you can't repair.

Sponsored

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
Not all 'goops' do that, but some can. I assume Ford doesn't. My daughter just had a flat, and had to use her factory goop (Hyundai), and her sensor worked perfectly fine even before replacing the tire. The trick is to blow air after removing the goop, to clean sensor. Having said that, I'd also leave the goop as a last resort. My dilemma is if I just can't fit a damaged rear tire into the trunk while traveling, what the heck do you do? Leave your luggage on the side of the road? I guess that could be a better option than stay overnight if you have no cell service, but not a nice option. Ha ha. Still debating if I'll buy a spare or not. So far, have never needed one in my 58 years. And I'm VERY careful where I tread, but still, I understand there's always a chance of getting a flat you can't repair.
I live in Vegas and on that one slim chance I get a flat in Death Valley on the way to Cali is enough for me to invest in a spare.

Ronin47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just think of it as premium insurance. You never know when you need it but it’s there when you need it.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
I believe that is an extender for the treaded shaft that secures the wheel/repair kit.
Hi - Save it! It’s one of those things that you will look at 5 years from now and say “What the hell is this?” Then you can put it back and over the years ask the same question again and again. Eventually someday when your kids are cleaning out your garage they can also say “What the hell is this?” Bruce

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
Hi - Save it! It’s one of those things that you will look at 5 years from now and say “What the hell is this?” Then you can put it back and over the years ask the same question again and again. Eventually someday when your kids are cleaning out your garage they can also say “What the hell is this?” Bruce
Lol "maybe it's just extra"....

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Lol "maybe it's just extra"....
Just installed mine today. The small adapter was necessary for the factory hold down to work, but I had to cut down the threaded rod on the hold down. It would bottom out before snugging up. The tire won't quite center on the hold down either, the tire sits about a 1/2" off center towards the rear of the car. I could center it and lock it down but the front side of the tire would not fully seat and not letting the floor panel sit flush. So it's locked down but the round part of the hold down that's supposed to center on and engage the wheel bore, well it just isn't but it will work and the panel sits flush.
Sponsored