Mobility kit vs. Spare tire

Discussion in '2019-2020 Bullitt Mustang' started by 7thlighter, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Elp_jc

Elp_jc Well-Known Member

First Name:
    JC
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Bullitt K7979, MR, Nav, B&O, Cover
    0   0   0
    Good to know. But just to be clear too (ha ha), by 'fit' you only meant just the width of the wheel/tire. It's not even close to fitting depth-wise :). So I wouldn't call it 'fit'. Maybe 'half-a$$ fit'? :D.

As a side comment, the couple of flats I've had in my life were when I was pulled over, and I stupidly went to the side of the freeway/highway. Last time was several years ago, but when it happens again, I won't pull over until the next exit, which is MUCH safer for the car, myself, and the cop.

2. 69mach1-395

69mach1-395 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 RR GT/CS
    0   0   0
    Not knowing the size of your cheeks, maybe it is half ass? lol
    Of course a full size tire sits above the floor deck, but not enough to prevent the trunk still be able to carry stuff like a wheel chair or groceries and hardware. There seems to be some exaggeration in that respect. It only takes a small volume out of play...

3. Elp_jc

Elp_jc Well-Known Member

First Name:
    JC
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Nope. The rear tire has the overwhelming odds of getting flat, not the front. And a rear wheel/tire literally takes most of the trunk's space. I decided it's just not worth (to me) having a spare on this car. I'd only use it on a trip (if ever)... and a rear wouldn't fit. I don't consider myself a lucky person (not by a long shot. Ha ha). But even then, I don't buy extended warranties, and have never needed one. Have never needed to replace a tire in my life. The only flat I remember having was 12 years ago, on my then new BMW M3 V8, and just patched it with my Stop'nGo kit, and made it home 300+ miles away, at 80 mph. So will take the (very small) chance on this car too. If I could fit any tire in that space, I'd get it. It was the same thing with the BMW, the Porsche, etc. A spare would leave me with no cargo space for trips... which is what I use my cars for (I work from home). Therefore, making the car useless. Rather use it, and call for help if it comes to that :D. But as I mentioned, will get a jack kit, to at least be able to remove the wheel if needed.

4. Michael_vroomvroom

Michael_vroomvroom Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang GT 2020 MT, EU-spec (almost, but not quite PP1) Magneride
    0   0   0
    I think there's no way you'll be able to unscrew properly torqued wheel lugs with the jack kit from AA. I could use it to unscrew the lug nuts after I got the car from the dealer, but that was only because the lug nuts were woefully under tightened. When tightening them, if I use more than two fingers on the handle, it looks the AA handle will bend and break/separate (the parts are joined together with a not very strong screw, and the metal itself seems very soft and thin). On the other hand, I have to use full force to torque the nuts to the specified 204nm using a much bigger and stronger torque wrench. I would have ordered the AA tire without the jack had I known, as now I had to order something else to screw and unscrew the 21mm lug nuts anyway.

Now I carry both a spare tire (the one from AA) and the goofiller (as well as a smaller air pump I had from before, rather than the bigger one that came with the Mustang). I'm thinking if the trunk and car is so full that I can't fit a flat rear/front in the car for even long enough to get to the next hotel/city with a car repair shop, I'll use the goo too fill the punctured tire, rather than swapping it for a spare.

5. Elp_jc

Elp_jc Well-Known Member

First Name:
    JC
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    The AA jack kit was never reviewed well, so I never thought of getting that one. Will get the Ford one, but will have to go back and look for part numbers. As far as a lug nut wrench, I'll probably throw the Gorilla telescopic one I have (or get another). I torque my lug nuts to 120 ft/lbs, but it's still tight enough that you still need a good size wrench. My ex-F150 had one as long as the Gorilla fully extended, and since both cars call for 150 ft/lbs, it should be the same. Otherwise I'd just use a Gorilla one.

6. BrettT

BrettT Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
    0   0   0
    See post #114 for part numbers.

7. Hockeyfan

Hockeyfan New Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Mustang Bullitt
    0   0   0
    I bought a spare tire kit. The tire on rim, jack, lug nut wrench. Was expensive , 500 bucks but the rim fits fine over the brembo brakes. The rim is black like the stock tires. Automotive Authority has them.

8. Elp_jc

Elp_jc Well-Known Member

First Name:
    JC
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Thank you very much. You saved me like half an hour of browsing. Ha ha. Post #114 is on page 8, for those who want the info too :).

9. Turbo23

Turbo23 Member

First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang Bullitt DHG; Electronics, MR, Recaros, Cover, 2017 Explorer Sport Ingot Silver, 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    My AA spare fit easily into the pit, I didn't need to use the little extension. The panel covered it perfectly. I have roadside assistance coverage but being towed to a probably closed FORD dealer while away from home on a trip just is not a good solution for me.

Zooks527 likes this.
  10. thornclaw

thornclaw Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 mustang gt
    0   0   0
    i think the simpler solution to this problem is to do the following if you have a brembo mustang or upgraded the front brakes to the brembos. the standard spare wont fit over the brakes. however, if you get a flat FRONT tire do the following:swap the rear tire with the spare (which will fit on the rear) and replace the flat front wheel/tire with the rear wheel/tire you just replaced with the spare. a little more work, but its free.

11. Usmc341

Usmc341 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Bullit
    0   0   0
    The spare ain't free

12. Zooks527

Zooks527 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
    0   0   0
    I believe (note: believe, not know) you still would need something like a 5mm spacer to get the rear tire to clear the front brakes. And, you're now changing 2 tires at night / in the rain / on the side of the interstate.

It's not "a little more", it's effectively double (you'll do everything twice except for getting stuff out of the trunk / putting it away)

Usmc341 likes this.
  13. canyon ed

canyon ed Well-Known Member

First Name:
    ED
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
    Construction & Inspection
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
  14. ionpig

ionpig Active Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    Bullitt 2019, MagnaRide, Recaro's etc...2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 Landmark Edition, 2012 Mini Cooper
    0   0   0
    I know this is an old post but you can get round the Brembo issue by having a wheel spacer of more than 20mm.....much cheaper than the alternatives. I use a kit from Road Hero, which look identical to the Ford option. Dunno if they serve US too