Sponsored

Mobility kit vs. Spare tire

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That's weird; so freaking Ford couldn't even install the darn bracket in the center of the wheel hole? Interesting. Nobody else has mentioned that; is it possible that it's just your car? I wouldn't like that either. Before you cut the rod, you might want to add a little bend, then straight again so it centers. That'd shorten its effective length, but if it's too long to begin with, it might be fine with the bend. But it SUCKS having to do that, since it requires a shop with a hydraulic press, if you don't have a heavy duty vise in your house (I don't).
Sponsored

Ronin47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG BULLITT K4675 2020 INFINITI Q50 RS 400
Not to complain about AA but I am a little disappointed with the purchase. I haven’t received my spare kit yet as its being shipped from the border into Canada. My brokerage emailed me the origin of the items being from China not USA which incurred duties I am not impressed with. I would have imagined that being manufactured in the US would have lead to a better product and also I wouldn’t be hit with duties just taxes. Again no fault on AA, so we will have to see when it comes in. I have somewhat of a low confidence on Chinese products for years and might switch out the tire for a reputable one if I can find the correct tire size.

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
Not to complain about AA but I am a little disappointed with the purchase. I haven’t received my spare kit yet as its being shipped from the border into Canada. My brokerage emailed me the origin of the items being from China not USA which incurred duties I am not impressed with. I would have imagined that being manufactured in the US would have lead to a better product and also I wouldn’t be hit with duties just taxes. Again no fault on AA, so we will have to see when it comes in. I have somewhat of a low confidence on Chinese products for years and might switch out the tire for a reputable one if I can find the correct tire size.
Too bad about the duties but quality is top-notch. Yes it is Chinese but the tire is stout and the wheel is heavy duty. Keep in mind It is only a spare tire and will be used sparingly (no pun). I'm very happy with mine and it looks like it will be more than up to the job.

Ronin47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG BULLITT K4675 2020 INFINITI Q50 RS 400
Sorry about the duties but regarding quality it is top-notch. Yes it is Chinese but the tire is stout and the wheel is heavy duty. Keep in mind It is only a spare tire and will be used sparingly (no pun). I'm very happy with mine and it looks like it will be more than up to the job.
I guess you are right, coming from an owner it is certainly appreciated. So the only pressing matter right now is getting it in the car and fit properly secured. Any tips on getting to do this? I see from the above posts, there is some difficulty and I really don’t want the spare rattling around like a bunch of loose marbles.

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
I guess you are right, coming from an owner it is certainly appreciated. So the only pressing matter right now is getting it in the car and fit properly secured. Any tips on getting to do this? I see from the above posts, there is some difficulty and I really don’t want the spare rattling around like a bunch of loose marbles.
I had no issues with fitment into the well. Mine dropped right in. Jack and lug wrench underneath. There is no carpet where the tire sits.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Well, I decided I don't want 100 extra lbs at the back, so I either get a Curt hitch to haul my bike, or a spare tire kit. Both reportedly weigh in at 47 lbs. I think the hitch will win :D. And you can't fit a rear tire into the trunk unless it's empty anyway (doesn't fit in the hole), which makes getting a spare waaaaay less attractive to me. Might still get the jack kit, to at least be able to remove the tire, or rotate it easily, to fix it with a flat-tire repair kit. Need to go back and look for the Ford part numbers, including the polystyrene piece to store it. I haven't had a flat that can't be repaired in 58 years, so the chances of that are minor. Rather keep my bike and take those chances :D.

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
IMG_20200616_111423255.jpg
IMG_20200616_111427363.jpg
Well, I decided I don't want 100 extra lbs at the back, so I either get a Curt hitch to haul my bike, or a spare tire kit. Both reportedly weigh in at 47 lbs. I think the hitch will win :D. And you can't fit a rear tire into the trunk unless it's empty anyway (doesn't fit in the hole), which makes getting a spare waaaaay less attractive to me. Might still get the jack kit, to at least be able to remove the tire, or rotate it easily, to fix it with a flat-tire repair kit. Need to go back and look for the Ford part numbers, including the polystyrene piece to store it. I haven't had a flat that can't be repaired in 58 years, so the chances of that are minor. Rather keep my bike and take those chances :D.
Are you saying the AA tire kit will not fit in your spare tire well? Mine fits fine. View attachment 478754 View attachment 478755 View attachment 478754 View attachment 478755

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Rattling loose won't be the issue. Some people have found the fit to be really tight (probably varies with whatever tire you happen to get from AA) and have needed to either give it a little lube with cooking spray or cheat the pressure down a little bit.

Mine fits fine under the trunk floor with the cover flat, the jack underneath, a breaker bar with a deep socket, and the gas filler funnel.

Last edited:

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Not sure what you mean it doesn't fit. I have a full size matching spare in there and have room for my moms transport chair and other supplies when I take her to appointments...
But with your luck you are good to go ;)

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I said a REAR TIRE people, not a spare tire. Try fitting your 275/40/19 tire in that hole, and then tell me it fits :D. And now that I think of it, the front wouldn't fit either. In fact, any of the 4 stock wheel/tires would basically fill the entire trunk. I'll take my chances with the tire repair kit, and roadside assistance, if needed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I know man, but people don't read; just skim over words in a fraction of a second, and interpret whatever they gleaned from that. Ha ha. Sorry.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
255/40R19 fits just fine...JUST TO BE CLEAR. LOL

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Good to know. But just to be clear too (ha ha), by 'fit' you only meant just the width of the wheel/tire. It's not even close to fitting depth-wise :). So I wouldn't call it 'fit'. Maybe 'half-a$$ fit'? :D.

As a side comment, the couple of flats I've had in my life were when I was pulled over, and I stupidly went to the side of the freeway/highway. Last time was several years ago, but when it happens again, I won't pull over until the next exit, which is MUCH safer for the car, myself, and the cop.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Not knowing the size of your cheeks, maybe it is half ass? lol
Of course a full size tire sits above the floor deck, but not enough to prevent the trunk still be able to carry stuff like a wheel chair or groceries and hardware. There seems to be some exaggeration in that respect. It only takes a small volume out of play...
Sponsored