Aresek44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang, 2010 Ford Fusion, 2022 Mach 1 HP
Looking for some help/advise.

My Mach 1 has about 650 miles on it, installed the Ford performance oil seperator at 250 miles. I check the seperator last night and spotted some metal flakes in the oil that collected. The car has seen some very spirited driving. Has anyone else seen this with their car break in. Not sure if I should be very concerned or not? This is the first time I have purchased a vehicle new. I think I will do an oil change at 1000 miles. But not sure if I should do it sooner?
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I get some very fine flakes in mine too, my cts-v with 90k miles car did it too. No problems. I did my first oil change around 1k miles and switched to synthetic.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
A friend had a GT350, before he crashed it, that had metal flakes on the drain plug every oil change, and consumed a quart over a two day track weekend. He took it in multiple times and was told the metal flakes and the consumption, considering it was a track weekend, was normal.

Your car is still being broke in. I wouldn't sweat it too much, just make sure you break it in the right way.

OP
OP
Aresek44

Aresek44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
A friend had a GT350, before he crashed it, that had metal flakes on the drain plug every oil change, and consumed a quart over a two day track weekend. He took it in multiple times and was told the metal flakes and the consumption, considering it was a track weekend, was normal.

Your car is still being broke in. I wouldn't sweat it too much, just make sure you break it in the right way.
I did take it to an autocross last weekend, but no odd sounds or smells after that. Need to check the oil level but will update with pics later of the seperator

Sponsored

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
I did take it to an autocross last weekend, but no odd sounds or smells after that. Need to check the oil level but will update with pics later of the seperator
Isn’t the right way about avoiding steady RPM level for a long time and also not exceeding 5000 RPM ?
Meaning highways and high-rev spirited driving are the 2 things to be careful about during break-in period.

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
Isn’t the right way about avoiding steady RPM level for a long time and also not exceeding 5000 RPM ?
Meaning highways and high-rev spirited driving are the 2 things to be careful about during break-in period.
This is correct...

Not sure I'd recommend doing any performance driving during the break-in period.
For some actual good advice: https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/how-to-break-in-your-mustang

I can say on mine (not a mach 1, but still the 5.0), I don't have any metal flakes in catch can or when I change oil and I don't have any oil consumption issues, even after HPDE events (50k miles on the car).

But as I said, some metal flakes is normal during the break-in period.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That is what they claim. My real world experience was not following break in and going hard from day one lead to higher performance. Granted our test mules were mopeds, the moped that was not broke in properly went 2-3 mph faster.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
I'd chalk this up as normal break in. If it keeps happening with more miles, get it documented under warranty

OP
OP
Aresek44

Aresek44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
From the Mach 1 supplemental, doesn't speak to any rpm limits, just high speeds, it only really talks tp the breaks and transmission. Like a few others have said, chalk it up to break in and inexperience with the coyote engine. But going to document every 100 miles until 1000 miles and then do an oil change and continue to monitor.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
Do they make magnetic drain plus for the coyote? I know these were available for the fox and fox-4 and were very handy.
Sponsored