Sponsored

Metal flake in oil

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I wanted the Ford to open the oil filter. I went there show the pics, they said "if you have any complaints about the car, there is nothing we can do." Service manager also said they dont have the tools to cut it open. If they cut it with a saw, there will be metal flakes because of that... I will try to open it with a can opener this afternoon.
Any other recommendation?
Can opener may work. If it doesn't, you can poke a hole with a screwdriver and cut the rest with snips.
Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Cut the rim of the filter off with tin snips. If you can’t figure out how to do this your opionion is irrelevant.

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
opened the filter, looked pretty clean.
Not sure where the particles came from that I found on my oil pan. I guess I will keep driving...

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
That’s awesome news. Drive the crap out of it and forget about the flake. Could have just been a machining flake that got wedged somewhere that the washing process couldnt get out.

OP
OP

aaricchavez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
opened the filter, looked pretty clean.
Not sure where the particles came from that I found on my oil pan. I guess I will keep driving...
Same thing here, I cut open the filter and nothing. Though I did find two other pieces stuck in the pickup tube mesh. Car drives fine, but i'm starting to plan for a built engine as I was already planning to go that direction at some point.

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Same thing here, I cut open the filter and nothing. Though I did find two other pieces stuck in the pickup tube mesh. Car drives fine, but i'm starting to plan for a built engine as I was already planning to go that direction at some point.
On a worry level metal in the oil pan would be a 4.5. Metal in the filter would be a 10.

Now that you have read about my scale remember it means nothing and I have wasted just a little of your life.

I hope everything holds up great and it was just a one off flake.

OP
OP

aaricchavez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
On a worry level metal in the oil pan would be a 4.5. Metal in the filter would be a 10.

Now that you have read about my scale remember it means nothing and I have wasted just a little of your life.

I hope everything holds up great and it was just a one off flake.
So just an update:

Shortly after this post the car started having some timing issues and was throwing several codes. The car has been sitting for a bit as I just opted to purchase a built short block and other parts instead of doing a bunch of investigating. Turns out it would have been a quick find. Upon pulling the engine it looks like the crank sprocket/gear was the source of the metal. This was a Boundary crank sprocket and it appears to have chipped at the keyway and cracked all the way through. Because of the crack it was loose on the crank. This definitely explains the timing issues and the chunks I found in the oil. I'm not sure if this was a fluke or if the Boundary crank sprocket is not a well made as the others available, but the new OPG and CS set I bought was from MMR.

20191010_151015.jpg

Fordis-ALHR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
11 mustang gt gen2 sb
So just an update:

Shortly after this post the car started having some timing issues and was throwing several codes. The car has been sitting for a bit as I just opted to purchase a built short block and other parts instead of doing a bunch of investigating. Turns out it would have been a quick find. Upon pulling the engine it looks like the crank sprocket/gear was the source of the metal. This was a Boundary crank sprocket and it appears to have chipped at the keyway and cracked all the way through. Because of the crack it was loose on the crank. This definitely explains the timing issues and the chunks I found in the oil. I'm not sure if this was a fluke or if the Boundary crank sprocket is not a well made as the others available, but the new OPG and CS set I bought was from MMR.

20191010_151015.jpg
Man this scares me. I have a 2011 gt and I just put a new gen2 shortblock in and installed boundary opgs and crank sprocket. The cs went on very tight. I actually had to tap it on with a large socket and brass hammer. I changed my oil at 200 miles to get the break in oil out. Ive been using 5-30 the whole time and at 1000 miles changed the oil again because I got the bbq tick. Noticed I have metal shavings in the oil. Im now at 8k miles and the tick got worse. Added ceratec and its gone but I still get the same amount of metal shavings in the oil. The shavings are ferrous(magnetic). I dont know if it has anything to do with the cs or opgs but are these boundary products any good? Heres some pics. What do you guys think?
92EA33E8-8041-4978-8819-363C9666ADD5.jpeg
BB7411A4-07F9-4A29-92F7-3276CCEF543E.jpeg
6BD8FE19-E487-478B-B872-F659633F61C7.jpeg

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Man this scares me. I have a 2011 gt and I just put a new gen2 shortblock in and installed boundary opgs and crank sprocket. The cs went on very tight. I actually had to tap it on with a large socket and brass hammer. I changed my oil at 200 miles to get the break in oil out. Ive been using 5-30 the whole time and at 1000 miles changed the oil again because I got the bbq tick. Noticed I have metal shavings in the oil. Im now at 8k miles and the tick got worse. Added ceratec and its gone but I still get the same amount of metal shavings in the oil. The shavings are ferrous(magnetic). I dont know if it has anything to do with the cs or opgs but are these boundary products any good? Heres some pics. What do you guys think?
92EA33E8-8041-4978-8819-363C9666ADD5.jpeg
BB7411A4-07F9-4A29-92F7-3276CCEF543E.jpeg
6BD8FE19-E487-478B-B872-F659633F61C7.jpeg
That is a a lot of metal. Open up the oil filter and see how it look .

Fordis-ALHR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
11 mustang gt gen2 sb
Yea I thought it was a lot also. Ive gotten almost that much out of ever oil change so far. The car still screams and is very quick. It doesnt seem to have a lack of power. Sometimes the phasers act a little slow and the car hesitates for a second around 4k then keeps accelerating. Maybe the cam filters are getting clogged. I installed l&m intake cams, opgs and cs, all new timing set, arp head studs and cam cap bolts, reused my 11 balancer(dont know if thats a problem or not) arp balancer bolt. 18ported mani. Boss valve springs, lightly ported heads. Longtubes. With the metal being magnetic I wonder what it could be coming from? I saved 2 filters and will open them after work this week to check.

Sponsored
OP
OP

aaricchavez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yeah, my Boundary gear went on pretty tightly also. The new MMR one was snug, but not tight.

I've lost a little bit of faith in Boundary parts because of the failure, but they do seem to acknowledge the issue and have tried to remedy it.
When I reached out to Boundary regarding the breakage their President, Travis Rosenbarger, was quick to reply, apologize and replace the part. He told me "...it seems to have been a particular batch of material that caused the issue you are seeing." and in another email, "Those original units we had to outsource the lathe work, and then we milled the teeth in. The new units are 100% in house sourced so we can control everything. You won’t run into this issue again, and I really apologize for it."

Fordis-ALHR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
11 mustang gt gen2 sb

Fordis-ALHR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
11 mustang gt gen2 sb
Yeah, my Boundary gear went on pretty tightly also. The new MMR one was snug, but not tight.

I've lost a little bit of faith in Boundary parts because of the failure, but they do seem to acknowledge the issue and have tried to remedy it.
When I reached out to Boundary regarding the breakage their President, Travis Rosenbarger, was quick to reply, apologize and replace the part. He told me "...it seems to have been a particular batch of material that caused the issue you are seeing." and in another email, "Those original units we had to outsource the lathe work, and then we milled the teeth in. The new units are 100% in house sourced so we can control everything. You won’t run into this issue again, and I really apologize for it."
Geese. When did you buy yours? Im wondering which batch mine is from. I bought mine around may 19. An apology is great and all on their part but man you got lucky that it didnt completely break apart. That would of trashed your engine. Heck you dont even really know if those metal bits did any harm. The new cs are being advertised as 4340 but I wonder if the original ones were.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well that’s all good and dandy that Boundary is acknowledging the problem with a batch of OPGs, but for all “sorrys we know” aside, what are they going to do for those who lose a Coyote due to the extensive internal contamination from their part failing and the cost of repairs??

Are they going to reimburse those who have had failures? That would be the right thing to do, especially since they have admitted a bad batch got loose to the consumer.

Did they bother to recall their inventory from vendors or are people still ending up with the “bad batch” OPG?

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
So just an update:

20191010_151015.jpg
Wow! Sorry to hear.

Who built your new motor and is it in yet?
Sponsored