Sponsored

Metal chunk in oil drain pan after oil change today

nate20gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys, so after I changed my oil today I found this rather large chunk of metal in the drain pan. The car has 10k miles and it's the second oil change. Should I be worried about this?

20211120_144010.jpg

20211120_144025.jpg

20211120_144059.jpg
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like part of a keyway, so yeah.. I'd be concerned.

OP
OP

nate20gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Yeah, I'll open the filter and inspect it then take it to the dealer just in case.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; While that looks like something broken off, I have found stuff in an oil pan before. Once i found a plastic bit. I was told it was a plug taken off during assembly.
afraid that looks like a gear tooth to me.
Best of luck and ignore my speculation.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Come on man, this is 2021. Post a decent close up of the piece in focus. The ones you posted are blurry, except for the first pic that is grainy, and it's hard to tell what the piece is in that one as well.

I've never seen anything like this drain out of an oil pan - I hope it's nothing serious. Is it magnetic?

Sponsored

OP
OP

nate20gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I am 99.9% sure this is a tooth broken off the crank sprocket or cam phaser. Someone on FB knew because he had seen it first hand and showed me pictures. I'll attach the pictures he sent me. They exactly match the piece I found. Off to the dealer next week, car only has 10000 miles on it 😞

FB_IMG_1637800356673.jpg

FB_IMG_1637800346078.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

nate20gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Well at least you caught it now before it grenaded
True. One of the benefits of doing you own maintenance. Guaranteed I would have no idea if I wasn't the one who changed the oil. Now, hopefully Ford won't give me any issues on the warranty. I've read some horror stories about them! I'll update the post with how that plays out.

Fordohio

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WIlliam
Vehicle(s)
73 F100 20 Mustang GT
How do you guys find stuff like this in your oil? I change mine at work and it just goes down our oil change tank. But I feel like maybe I should be doing mine different.

Sponsored
OP
OP

nate20gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Some will depend on which gear the tooth came off of. Some will depend on if there are small particles associated with the broken tooth. Could be a clean break with no additional damage. Could be the broken bit rattled around a while before settling in the oil pan. I would be tempted to have an oil analysis in addition to cutting open the oil filter. I do not know if the engines have a magnetic drain plug you can check.

Hope the car is still under warranty, as it should be, looking at the year and mileage. Internally lubricated parts should have five year and 60,000 mile coverage.

I tend to agree the tooth is likely off one of the timing chain gears. May be the repair could be done by removing front covers over the timing chains. That could be good enough if the break is clean, but not so good if small bits circulated around. If Ford decides to ty to fix the engine get it on record and ask for an extended factory type warranty of some sort.

Good luck.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What MY year is your car? You are not alone on this issue. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/metal-flake-in-oil.124881/page-2

It turns out there may be more victims of this issue.
Just a note of caution:
^^^^ That thread linked is discussing a damaged aftermarket gear that failed due to their original design as discussed in that thread. It was NOT a genuine as assembled Ford supplied gear for the Coyote.

—-

OP should definitely take the car in for an appointment AND back up your claim with the pictures that were sent to you. If that metal fragment is a busted tooth from the gear as pictured above, last thing you want is the gear completely failing. You also don’t want the timing chain to jump teeth either if the gear doesn’t completely fail first.
Sponsored